How to assign static IPv4 IP

Could somebody please explain to me exactly how I can assign a static IPv4 IP to my wireless connection within Windows 7 as i'm having all sorts of problems here trying to do it

The reason behind this is that i've installed XAMPP and can't access anything from the internet due to the fact that i'm behind a Sky router. I think, please let me know if i'm wrong, that I need to:

A) Assign a static IPv4 IP to my wireless connection on my laptop then

B) Forward HTTP port 80 from my router to the static IP that i've created

Anyone got 5 minutes to help.? :)

Edited by PurpleHaze420

Which Sky router do you have? White Netgear, Black netgear or the black Sagem one?

Do you have a software Firewall?

A) Assigning the static IP address is one way, but you can do this with the router too. You can tell the router to always give a certain MAC address a certain IP.

In Windows 7 go to the Wireless connection properties and double click the (TCP/IPv4) and enter the relevant stuff in there :)

B) Then forward all the ports that you need to use in the router. You COULD also set the machine in the DMZ but, that's probably not the best idea.

Open Network and Sharing Center (I right click on the wireless icon in the tray)

Change Adapter settings (from the left menu)

Right click Wireless Network Connection, select Properties

Double click IPv4, assign address

I think what you want to do is simply reserve an IP for your computer (your MAC address actually) in your router rather than disabling DHCP and configuring static IP etc. That way every other computer can still use DHCP just fine. :) Then you need to set up a forwarding of port 80 to your computer as you said.

DMZ is indeed a bad idea. :)

Check out www.portforward.com if you want help configuring the port forwarding.

I think what you want to do is simply reserve an IP for your computer (your MAC address actually) in your router rather than disabling DHCP and configuring static IP etc. That way every other computer can still use DHCP just fine. :) Then you need to set up a forwarding of port 80 to your computer as you said.
Yeah, allocating a specific IP to the MAC of your wireless adapter is the best way to do it. You can manually assign it in the system as well, but you want to be sure that you make sure you assign one that isn't in the range that your router is assigning via DHCP so that you don't end up with a conflict.

Note that a lot of ISPs prevent inbound traffic on port 80 in any case. You may need to use 8080 or something like that and direct inbound requesters to use that port (http://yourhosthere.host:8080/contentpath)

I'm using the black Sagem router provided by Sky, and yes I have ESET NOD32 running normally although I am disabling it while I try and sort this out.

I have currently gone into the router and then to "Advanced - - > LAN IP Setup" and reserved the IP 192.168.0.2 for my wireless's MAC address.

Next I have been into "Security - - > Firewall Rules" and set an Inbound Rule for XAMPP to always allow connections on 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.255:80

Is this all that I should need to do..?

Also is this a better or worse way of doing it then turning off the DHCP server on the router and assigning an IP address manually within Windows 7.?

Can somebody test the following to see if they get a blank page with "Test Page" written as a H1 header.

http://90.215.206.22/PurpleHaze420

When I try to access that link I get bounced into my router still and told that "Error Message: Bad request" even though if I access it on 192.168.0.2/PurpleHaze420 it loads up correctly.

I'm using the black Sagem router provided by Sky, and yes I have ESET NOD32 running normally although I am disabling it while I try and sort this out.

I have currently gone into the router and then to "Advanced - - > LAN IP Setup" and reserved the IP 192.168.0.2 for my wireless's MAC address.

Next I have been into "Security - - > Firewall Rules" and set an Inbound Rule for XAMPP to always allow connections on 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.255:80

Is this all that I should need to do..?

Also is this a better or worse way of doing it then turning off the DHCP server on the router and assigning an IP address manually within Windows 7.?

Can somebody test the following to see if they get a blank page with "Test Page" written as a H1 header.

http://90.215.206.22/PurpleHaze420

When I try to access that link I get bounced into my router still and told that "Error Message: Bad request" even though if I access it on 192.168.0.2/PurpleHaze420 it loads up correctly.

Did you check portforward.com? I don't know if Firewall Rules in your router is the same as Port forwarding which is what you need to do.

The page doesn't load for me. Btw. what are you using the limited broadcast address for? :)

I have just gone through the information on Portforward.com and I still end up bouncing to the router when I try to access my page from the outside link. Grr.