New Longhorn UI "AERO"!

You know: a lot more people would agree with you if you were not such an ass in every post you make. Didn't your mom ever teach you that the f word is bad? :sleep:

Besides, this leaking thing is getting old. Microsoft "leaks" all their alpha stuff on purpose just to get the masses all excited and having wet dreams about all their new stuff. Yes their marketing folks are geniuses. It's so amusing to watch as they hook you like a fish and make sure you keep contributing to the Bill Gates Pension fund.

No Tom, MS is not spamming screenshots. They are spamming pre alpha stuff and you are consuming it like there is no tomorrow.

Where the hell do you get this idea?It's called employees man, MS has tons of them! And an employee or two will leak it, and if their caught then Microsoft will press charges against them, which they have done before. Some people really need to stop spreading lies that Microsoft leaks its own stuff, com'on, like MS really wants these lamers downloading any Windows let alone Longhorn. :no: :rolleyes:

You seriously believe that the only big software company in the world that seems to have a chronic leakage problem in their midst is Microsoft? IBM has tons of employees, as does Sun, Macromedia, Apple etc......

Popularity of windows aside, don't you think the problem would be an industry wide one if leaking was such a common practice amongst employees and companies were powerless to prevent it. Better yet, how come it's only built software that leaks from MS. I never heard of source code leaking. Have you? Source code does not leak because Microsoft does not want it to leak.

Even if employees are leaking the software - I doubt MS would ever do it publicly- it's so blatantly obvious that at some level the practice is actually overlooked, if not condoned by Microsoft management. Come on, these are professional seasoned business people. They know that the rumor mills, speculation and general hype around the leak serves them a purpose. Whether the software works or not does not matter. What matters is that it gets peoples imagination and anticipation going. They get the whole world talking about the next great thing, and every kid and their dad with their hands in their wallets ready to buy the final product when it comes out. Pure genius if you ask me.

Case in point: how many threads on this forum are about Longhorn, or Avalon or Aero or some other hyped up feature they have not even finished designing yet? How many different copies of the Plex VS have been created? How many emulated Sidebars and Taskbars?

Edited by PeterHammer

Paul Thurrott unnoticingly hinted MS leaks the stuff:

Second, Longhorn is being very deliberately phased into our consciousness over time. Starting with Bill Gates' first public comments about the project last year, the leaked alpha builds and developer preview in March, moving to the WinHEC and PDC shows this year, and then rolling into the public beta program next year, one thing is very clear: Microsoft is very specifically controlling how information about Longhorn is released.

full article: Winsupersite's Road to Longhorn Part 2

DOS source code has leaked, but I guess they purposely did that. And if Microsoft wanted it's stuff to be leaked then you wouldn't hear of cases against former MS employees for leaking would you?MS is a big company , with many employees, they don't need to leak it themselves, their bad employees do it already.

DOS source code has leaked, but I guess they purposely did that. And if Microsoft wanted it's stuff to be leaked then you wouldn't hear of cases against former MS employees for leaking would you?MS is a big company , with many employees, they don't need to leak it themselves, their bad employees do it already.

You dont hear anything about Microsoft firing and suing employees for leaking Longhorn do you? :pinch:

You dont hear anything about Microsoft firing and suing employees for leaking Longhorn do you? :pinch:

I actually know someone who was very close to being fired for leaking stuff from Microsoft. And as I talked with him in the past, he told me about the stuff that goes on, including some people being fired/having certain access privileges removed, so it's no joke.

seriously .. if I see another post like this ..I'm gonna go to mac forum and start talking about PC and Windows. I'm sick of Apple and their "Toy" computers and Os's. And you can Quote me with this ...

We support couple thousand iBooks, Tis .. also gateway 450Ls which we have around 4000.

We spend way more time troubleshooting macs than pcs ..

sick of it .. really I am ... :angry:

Toy computers? Oh, you mean the ones that every PC company on the market is constantly copying?

Don't make this into a flame war, I was merely pointing out the fact that it is taking Microsoft over 5 years to copy the technologies such as a hardware accelerated desktop environment in OS X, and use it in Longhorn. Granted, Longhorn's plans include much more then OS X currently has, but then again, OS X was released 3 years ago. You have to look at it from both angles.

Toy computers? Oh, you mean the ones that every PC company on the market is constantly copying?

Don't make this into a flame war, I was merely pointing out the fact that it is taking Microsoft over 5 years to copy the technologies such as a hardware accelerated desktop environment in OS X, and use it in Longhorn. Granted, Longhorn's plans include much more then OS X currently has, but then again, OS X was released 3 years ago. You have to look at it from both angles.

Well, I get a lot of computer catalogs, and very few PCs look anything like Macs these days.

Also, add in the fact that MS was working on a different OS at the time, one that many people moved to with out fancy "hardware accelerated" graphics. There's really no use for it, except to make things look better, but that's not really the point of using an OS for most people.

And, I'd love to see how long it takes Apple to copy Microsoft's business policies and become the leader in personal computing ... I bet it would be more than 5 years.

three years ago, microsoft was focused on getting the next version of windows to bring the nt and 9x line together, a very difficult feat IMO. xp successfully did that. now, look at their next os (i mean client os, don't talk to me about server 2003 :p ). now they're catching up with the technology.

Well, I get a lot of computer catalogs, and very few PCs look anything like Macs these days.

Also, add in the fact that MS was working on a different OS at the time, one that many people moved to with out fancy "hardware accelerated" graphics. There's really no use for it, except to make things look better, but that's not really the point of using an OS for most people.

And, I'd love to see how long it takes Apple to copy Microsoft's business policies and become the leader in personal computing ... I bet it would be more than 5 years.

schnaaap

You know: a lot more people would agree with you if you were not such an ass in every post you make. Didn't your mom ever teach you that the f word is bad? :sleep:

Besides, this leaking thing is getting old. Microsoft "leaks" all their alpha stuff on purpose just to get the masses all excited and having wet dreams about all their new stuff. Yes their marketing folks are geniuses. It's so amusing to watch as they hook you like a fish and make sure you keep contributing to the Bill Gates Pension fund.

No Tom, MS is not spamming screenshots. They are spamming pre alpha stuff and you are consuming it like there is no tomorrow.

Are you my mommy?

How do you know they're leaked on purpose? Because it's an urban rumor?

Yeah right.

I actually know someone who was very close to being fired for leaking stuff from Microsoft. And as I talked with him in the past, he told me about the stuff that goes on, including some people being fired/having certain access privileges removed, so it's no joke.

I don't disagree or doubt that they crack down on leakers - when they don't want something to be leaked. All I am saying is that when it suits them, why not allow the leaks to happen. It is just all too convenient that M5 and prior versions got "leaked" and that MS did not in any way go bang on CNET's door (or Neowin or Winbeta or the SuperSite) or any others that reviewed it for some sort of copyright infrigement - which is well within their right to do. No cease and desists, no threats, nothing. (probably just a gleeful smile and a rub of the hands in anticipation of another cash cow). And it did get the whole world excited and talking about longhorn - a trend that will only grow as more leaks and then the beta phases hit.

It just seems to me that if they are so concerned about leaks, tightening up internal network security to prevent this should be a pretty easy measure for them to take. (As they have done with their Source Code)

Are you my mommy?

How do you know they're leaked on purpose? Because it's an urban rumor?

Yeah right.

ha ha ha ha :D ... nicely said Tom. kudos to ya.

and all the mac zealots...I'll say it again .... Apple make "toy" computers.

But they are pretty good "toys" though. Cute and they do work okay.

Although they are quite expensive "toys". :wacko:

fwiw...if anyone attended CES 2003 and saw the Bill Gates keynote (I think there is a video on Microsoft's website), you saw some of the longhorn-era technologies at work.

The desktop background was *moving*...with a sort of rainbow colored Media Center PC background...it was very soothing to the eye. Lots of animation when various things were clicked on etc. I'm surprised that Paul never mentioned that back in the day...in fact, nobody did.

Edit: here is the online video stream of the CES 2003 Keynote: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/...s03/keynote.asp. Go to #9 in the video popup window.

Apple makes some of the most professional and efficient computers I know.

As for the new Longhorn UI, Aero, it sounds like another reason to take more of the memory away from what you want to do, and into what you really don't care about. :rolleyes:

As for the new Longhorn UI, Aero, it sounds like another reason to take more of the memory away from what you want to do, and into what you really don't care about. :rolleyes:

It "sounds" like it perhaps, if you are thinking in today's Windows mindset. Try to break the mold with your thinking. Microsoft is introducing an array of technologies that will lower the "impact" the new UI elements would bring in today's Windows world.

I didn't see anyone complaining about OS X's performance "hit" back in the day when news was first leaking out. Yeah, that is because people gave Apple leeway.

Wait for the new stuff to come out before pontificating what it "sounds" like.

whatever dude ...

whatever dude ...

yeah im with you.. jaged should read the article before being a machumper.. Aero does not slow down the cpu.. I will repeat it as many times as i need to before someone realizes it. In the guys review he said it was not noticable to the memory.

If Apple does it, it's good, when MS does it, it's automatically bad? Pffft.

hehe.. oh well thats why we have a mac forum.. go tread on windows over there :)

Im pretty sure both OS's have their letdowns.. but thats not the issue.

I think aero will make things a lot more easier to use. I get bored with regular windows anyways :)

1: Anything that is not an ugly ass beige box is copying mac, as loony as that sounds. Apple was the first major company to commercially release computer cases that didn't follow the standard beige box of death style. Ever since then other computer companies have tried to copy the ingenuity and design of macs. I am not saying every computer company, or even most, directly copy Apple, but they copy the "un-standard beige box" design that was set as a standard by Apple. Even Alienware had ugly beige systems back in the day.

2: Microsoft was working on "Whistler", which looked nothing like OS X nor did it have ANY of it's technologies. The second Microsoft got it's hands on the beta of OS X it quickly scrapped Whistler and came up with XP, which is Windows 2000 and OS X technologies, with an added paint-job inspired by Fisher Price.

3: No use for a hardware accelerated operating system? There were tons of people who looked at the first GUI operating system and thought it was stupid and unnecessary. Do you see anywhere near 1% of the population still using DOS as it's primary operating system? No, why? Because it is limited. Hardware acceleration is the next step in operating system evolution, and to say otherwise is suggesting that we stop progressing.

4: Only 5 years? It's already been around 20. Apple has the originality and design approach, while Microsoft has the "copy, add, and sell" approach.

Do not get me wrong, as much as I hate Microsoft, I do not wish to see them disappear completely. For without competition, things slow down and become unproductive, for there is very little incentive to work hard when nothing else challenges you.

mas lusers (users) please ..I urge you guys not to post any more stuff about mac and OS X here. You have your own little mac forum. Do you see me coming there and talking about Windows ?

( though I was tempted quite a few times before to open my mouth there .. but I didn't )

2: Microsoft was working on "Whistler", which looked nothing like OS X nor did it have ANY of it's technologies. The second Microsoft got it's hands on the beta of OS X it quickly scrapped Whistler and came up with XP, which is Windows 2000 and OS X technologies, with an added paint-job inspired by Fisher Price.

Whatever it is that you're smoking, you *HAVE* to hook me up with some.