LH 4015 Installation: 1st part OK, 2nd phase stuck

OK, I installed Longhorn using the patched Winbeta ISO.

Installation initially b0rked, so I went to Google and found this:

http://www.digitalferret.com/forums/showth...s=&threadid=241

According to that article, LH just didn't like dealing with my computer's power-saving functions, so I disabled in BIOS (instead of hitting F5 like it says). Why? Because I wanted to install LH on my 10GB test hard drive, which is currently attached to the ATA RAID (HighPoint HPT374). I have to tell Windows Setup to use the RAID drivers otherwise it won't install on that drive.

First phase went OK, but when the computer rebooted and started loading LH, it just spontaneously reboots. I went back to XP, and looked at the boot.ini file. Here is how LH is referenced:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn" /FASTDETECT /DETECTHAL

RDisk(2) refers to the fact that the hard drive is "Disk 2" as far as Windows is concerned (whereas my C drive is Disk 0. I have a RAID0 array in between.) I have never heard of "DETECTHAL" before. Is this a LH thing? What is it doing? Should I remove it and hope that LH starts?

Looking for useful feedback. Thanks for helping.

- Brad

i think it's just a longhorn thing. i installed 4015 today too and that was in my boot.ini as well. mine worked fine though so i don't think that line is ur problem. as far as a solution to ur problem, i have no idea. format and try again? i had to do that. the first time i installed it, it got hung up on the PnP part. :pi have tv going into my video card, and at that point suddenly i could hear the tv coming through my pc. it said it could take 10 mins to install, but after 20 it was still sitting there, playing the sound from my pc, so i just rebooted. after that it just let me boot into longhorn, but my mouse wouldn't work. so i just unplugged the damn tv from my card and formatted and tried again and it went fine this time

Well the first time I got the BSOD "NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS" and according to the link I first mentioned, it's a power issue. So, I disabled that in the BIOS and the first phase of setup went great. When the comp rebooted, it could not finish loading LongHorn... I saw the black screen with the white logo and the blue progress bar, then that went blank and the keyboard locked up. The mouse never came alive. So do I need to wait several minutes? Or is it genuinely stuck on something?

never mind - i got it to install this morning with the drive on an IDE channel. apparently LH didn't like the fact that my hard drive was sitting on an ATA RAID channel... even though it was not part of an array. Just a spare disk, that's all. Of course, I didn't mark it as anything special in the RAID's BIOS. Yet Windows setup had recognized the disk just fine when I told it to use the HighPoint RAID drivers off the floppy... oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, its a pre-pre beta release. Longhorn is going to do silly stuff before they get it right and start the BETA releasing.

• 2 weeks later...