Your current gaming rigs and the next gen games...

I have a top notch pc (2700+ athlon xp@2.5ghz at 200fsb, nforce2 mobo, 9700pro) which pretty much throws around every single game that I have in my collection. After running 3dmark2003 I really see how my current setup might not be up to the job for the next gen games such as doom3 and halflife 2. Just looking at those screenshots makes my pc want to cry lol. Does anyone else find it rather annoying that a few months after you upgrade a new wave of games come out that just makes ur hardware feel like molasses?

no.

learn to judge your system by real games, not crap like 3dmark2k3

i have xp1700+gf4 4600 and i have no intention of upgrading for at least another year...i don't care what score i get in 3dmark. i know that all the games i run at highest/high settings run perfectly fine and i'm happy.

your system will be more than enough for doom3 and many games after that.

eliteone I have the same setup as you sans the vid card. forget about 3dmark03. wait for doom 3 or half life to finally come out and then decide if you will need to upgrade.

outdated here:

athlon 2000+

40gb seagate, 80gb wd 8mb cache

sound blaster audigy

soyo mobo 8x mobo

512 ddr mushkin

21 in monitor

geforce 4ti4200 8x agp

3dmark2k3 was total crap...Half-Life 2 is sposed to be so well coded you can run it on 2000's PC just fine, Doom3 however will probably be a different story but its being coded very well also, different setups for ATI cards vs nVIDIA cards and the whole 9 yards...dun wory about it man, you have a beast of a box and it will work just fine for another year or 2 or maybe even 3 if you keep it in top-notch unskanktified condition

I have a 1.6ghz and a GF4 ti 4400, and for some reason all my games run like crap. I can never use the highest settings... I mean... The computer's not that bad... Maybe I should clean up the system or something... :\

Oh well... I'm getting a new one this coming christmas. :D

My system runs UT2k3 fairly well, but after seeing what Doom3 and Half Life 2 are gonna look like, I decided to hold off my GPU upgrade til then. I believe i'll be getting the NV35 in August. My specs are below, I think they are pretty decent, and with a simple BIOS upgrade I can run the new Barton 3000+

why are you saying hl2 will run slow?!

it doesn't look all that good, it doesn't use all the fancyass features of doom3.

it's not going to be a leap in gfx quality, like doom3

yes, it will look good/better than hl1, but geez did you look at those shots? my comodore64 can do better

why are you saying hl2 will run slow?!

Me? I didnt say that, i mainly put off upgrading for D3, but since they announced HL2 i'm excited that my D3 system will run HL2 at a super high quality.

I'm sure it will run fine on a slower system, just like the original HL didnt have insane system requirements.

:blink: i have an althlon xp 1600+, 256 ddr, and a gf4 mx460 and i can run anything with no problem. ut2k3 runs like butter. :p i do admit i will need an upgrade soon though

i have a pentium 3 1 ghz and ever since I updated my vid card to radeon 9000 (128 meg) .. I can play every game so far at high resolution.. games like gta3 and gta 3 vice city and even morrowind I can run at high resolution without any slowdown..

*shrug*

ya know, i sister recently recieved a dell 2.2 ghz machine and so far I can't much of a speed difference..

i upgraded my comp recently (specs below)

a week after I got it all put together, the mobo died :(

I'm still waiting for the replacement to get here as I browse the web from my friggin Xbox!

stupid MSI

heh, my computer's almost 2 years old now. I've got a 1.4 Ghz T-bird with 512 DDR PC2700 Ram, on a Asus A7A266 mobo. I first had a Kyro II, but then I bought a radeon 8500. It's worked pretty well for all of the games that I've wanted to play.

my main pc (specs in sig) can handle any game out there at the moment... heck even my server system (my previous gaming rig) can handle most stuff... hardware is normally way ahead of software, so most decent setups will last 2-3 years from when they were new.

AXP 2k+ 1gb ddr

mobo: ecs k7vta3

vid: kryo2 64mb

sound: sblive plat

hdd: 1x80gb ibm 1x30gb wd

cdrom: 52x liton ,56x iomagic

cdrw:48x16x48 optorite

dvdrom: 10x pioneer

have yet to find a game i ant play at 1024x768x32bpp-1280x1024x32bpp may take a little tweaking but i can get any game i want to run slicker then snot

only thing i want to change is my mobo wana get an ecs l7s7a2 :)

test systems a p3 550e@733 320mb pc133 20gb hdd cdroms dead gonna get a new one SOON :)

this is mine:

AXP 1800+ Tbred A

512 DDR 2100

ti4200 128mb

30gb hdd

nforce2 soundstorm

a7n8x DX

LG 8x4x32 drive

one unbranded CD rom

WindowsXP

Games run OK for now. My next rig might get the Barton or whatever latest desktop chip from AMD.

i think mine is very good for now...and i will need is more alittle powerfull card

AXP 1700+ @2.0Ghz

SOLTEK SL-75FRN-L

2x256 DDR333

Gigabyte Radeon9000PRO 64MB DDR

whats limiting me now really is my moniter as its ViewSonic E40 14'

so its max res. is 1024x768 ,,,so i always run ayngame on this res. very easily till now

ouch that cpu is a killer(p3 550) i got one of those in a test box(550e copermine) and i have it running at 733:) works grate as a test box but i wouldnt use it as a game machien thats just scarry hehe

• PIII-700 (o/c'd to a cool 701.. stable as a rock)
  • 240mb SDRAM PC133 (256mb, but onboard vid wont shutdown.. 16mb less right there)
  • GeForce4 MX-420 64MB PCI (no AGP on mobo, so this has to do..)
  • C-Media 8738 onboard audio
  • 3.01GB 5,400RPM Samsung + 1.56GB 5,400 Seagate
  • LG Studioworks 14" CRT curved screen
  • MSI 48x16x48x CD-RW (kinda broken.. pauses when reading..)
  • ZyXEL Prestige 600 Router on 384/192 ADSL
  • 2.0 Stereo Sound System

...running Windows XP SP1 Slipstreamed, DirectX9 and 44.03 Dets, with frequent freezing and crashing.. gotta love po' folk.. (N)