Laptop: Is it possible to replace/upgrade graphic card chip?

Impossible I'm afraid. If you want to change the graphics card, you'd need to change the whole machine.

And as for HP and their faulty graphics cards - it'll be covered under their warranty. I'd contact HP themselves if you're concerned about it.

Laptops...

Buy exactly what you want, even if you don't think you can afford it at the time. They are a fully integrated system with little room for upgrade, and six months down the road, the few upgradeable parts may not be available do to model changes. Usually when you see different video capabilities, it's because the two different versions of that model have different motherboards.

And when you have problems under warranty, get it taken care of immediately.

Just some things learned while servicing them.

Only things you could really change are hdd, optical drive and network card out of major components. I don't know if dedicated GPUs have a separate card or they are soldiered on.

Obviously the ones with shared memory you can't change.

LAPTOPS ARE UPGRADEABLE, a few you can change the graphics cards(mostly high performance systems), most-to all you can change the memory and HDD, and most of them you can change the processors. so you CAN upgrade things on a laptop and they won't become obsolete in a few months(what piece of technology wouldn't) just most consumer level laptops you can't upgrade the graphics card.

Like said above, if it's consumer grade, chances are slim. CPU, hard drive, ram, screen, can all be replaced fairly easily.

There is no such laptop, laptops are generally not designed for upgradability. In the vast majority of cases the IGP's in laptops are actually soldered to the board, and cannot be removed without destroying the machine.

Interesting, does anyone know such laptop which is fully Upgradeable then? whatever grade it is... just want to know :p

Dell professional grade laptops have some lines that are fully upgradeable. For example, my Dell Precision M90 has parts all over ebay. I recently upgraded the screen, ram, hard drive, and cpu. The graphics are also upgradable. I can install a Quadro 2500m whenever I get around to getting a more portable laptop and retire this one to full time plugged in.

OK, I was further interested so checked out some performance laptops and coool :) I found one company (not very commonly heard by me) but sure has nice ones :)

EUROCOM is the name and does anyone know of other brands?

yes it is possible to remove it and replace the chip but you would need special tools and what not. the average user might as well not even try to do it.

I've missed it if such DIY was out...

I'm still having thoughts to get rid of this HP laptop rather then upgrading it (i see too much negative stuff about it everywhere)

yes it is possible to remove it and replace the chip but you would need special tools and what not. the average user might as well not even try to do it.

On my Dell M90, all you need are screwdrivers. Same with every laptop that has MXM technology.

Please stop posting "facts" from 8 years ago. Generally laptops cannot be upgraded, but there are a decent number of those that can.

There is no such laptop

yes there is just don't expect to go into bestbuy and find a laptop that's graphics card been upgraded

OK, I was further interested so checked out some performance laptops and coool :) I found one company (not very commonly heard by me) but sure has nice ones :)

EUROCOM is the name and does anyone know of other brands?

look at sager, clevo, and Asus(only a few not many)

I've missed it if such DIY was out...

I'm still having thoughts to get rid of this HP laptop rather then upgrading it (i see too much negative stuff about it everywhere)

what country do you live in

http://www.xoticpc.com http://avadirect.com/ http://www.rkcomputer.net/rkcnotebooks/

There is no such laptop, laptops are generally not designed for upgradability. In the vast majority of cases the IGP's in laptops are actually soldered to the board, and cannot be removed without destroying the machine.

Incorrect. I had a Dell Latitude D800 that had an upgradeable graphics card. There was even a 128mb card available from both Nvidia and ATI. I believe the Dell Precision series (M90 I do believe) was the same.

I was about to post that Dell should have one

But you could just contact the specific manufacture and ask which laptops have upgradable graphics cards

By the way, you could just purchase a laptop with the desired graphics card or memory and be done with it :) You are trying to upgrade something before its even bought, you never know the laptop with the desired graphics card may already exist, non upgradable though ;)

On my Dell M90, all you need are screwdrivers. Same with every laptop that has MXM technology.

Please stop posting "facts" from 8 years ago. Generally laptops cannot be upgraded, but there are a decent number of those that can.

i work on pc's & laptops, YES it can be done to most laptops but as i said you need special tools and knowledge of what your doing!

my recommendation to him is to get rid of the laptop and buy a desktop pc, that way you can upgrade more easily, hp's are pure crap anyways!

as i said you need special tools and knowledge of what your doing!

my recommendation to him is to get rid of the laptop and buy a desktop pc, that way you can upgrade more easily, hp's are pure crap anyways!

Well some are just under a cover under the laptop, not much knowledge required on those ones

I don't like HP either, new HPs have about 20 different startups. They need to be serviced from brand new, just to get them working normally again :D