Blackcomb

Hey,

I'm just wondering if anybody knows much about Blackcomb. I know it comes out after "Longhorn" which is supposed to be a minor upgrade to XP. I've heard that there is a new GUI, and maybe even a new kernel? Or do you think it is being build on the NT kernel? Will it be version 6 of Windows? One more thing, its still gonna be 32-bit right, they are not moving to 64-bit yet, although that would be nice.

as far as i know it's prolly version 6 and it's gonna be in 32bit versions and 64bit version. :) I can't wait to "beta test" it cuz this Windows XP life is now getting real boring. I'm not downloading 500MB ISO files like 2 times a week anymore so my fingers are idle.. :)

Blackcomb will be version 6 of Windows, will probably be based upon a heavily modified NT kernel, and will have a new task-based GUI. AFAIK, it will be both 32-bit and 64-bit, but all of these things are subject to change, so it will probably be a long, bumpy beta program when it ever begins.

Hmm, from the movie i saw about it.. it looks like XP with a really beefed up taskbar and some new pictures .. etc. i dont reall like the colors either. but ok :)

Originally posted by Goalie_CA

I've heard about the yukon filing system, but what is different.

The "Yukon file system" is a database file system that is based upon the next version of SQL Server, which is code-named Yukon. Othe new features expected is a completely new GUI with no taskbar or start button, either a new kernel or heavily modified NT kernel, lots of MS services, and other stuff that we do not know about.

I can't wait for the beta test to begin; it will make things exciting again. I think that Blackcomb will require four to five beta releases compared to the two to three in the past because it is a major release.

Thanks for all that info.

Any1 know since they are changing the ui/gui that all programs(.exe) are going to have to be rewritten and recompiled for this new version of windows, or will they be compatible with blackcomb?

Is the beta testing of blackcomb gonna be like the beta testing of XP where the public only get to beta test just a few moths from release. Is it just gonna go the MSDN subscribers?

I'm to 80% sure that Blackcomb will get a completely new kernel. One reason is that they're alpha developing the **** already since sometime, and the build number started from 0 again. Also if they're gonna develop 4+ years on an OS (Beginning 2001 to 2005), I bet for a new kernel. They also would to themselves a favor by rewriting the ****, coz it's easier that way to eradicate the bugs (while hoping not introducing a load of new ones)

ok i read so much stuff, iam confused...

so longhorn and blackcomb is the next ms os?

ok when is longhorn and blackcome expected to be out? why are they working on 2 at the same time?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...