Photo

Opera: Microsoft's 'minor tweak' of Windows 7 not enough

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#76 mdtaUK

mdtaUK

mdta - graphic designer

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:35

• The European Commission does not exist to make someone's "dirty work" as it was implied. There are mechanisms that analyze potential unfair situations ( dominant market position abuse is the case here ).

Your are obviously not a UK Citizen if that is how you think of the EU. The EU make some very good legislation, but at times they can be downright stupid. Human Rights Act - Awesome thank you EU, but Harmonization of Bannanas and Sausages is stupid. Opera claimed that Microsoft including IE with Windows was anti-competative. So they have now removed it, so Opera no longer have a case.

• By taking out IE from Windows, Microsoft has not solved anything. On the contrary it has created a lot of issues for users. It will not "restore browser competition on the desktop" with this move.

The EU and Opera were not making their case for the interests of users. Surely the dismal sales figures of Windows Vista N are proof that people do not want to buy EU dictated versions. Also the Market share of FireFox despite the inclusion of IE and the fact I am using FireFox is proof that Opera is wrong. The only way for Opera to compete is to make an allience with a larger company as Mozilla has, and make a product people want, and make it free!

• This is nothing more than an attempt to blackmail the European Commission and influence the opinion of Windows users in the EU. I'm sure the European Commission will take the necessary measures to protect its citizens interests in due time.

And Opera's case against Microsoft is an attempt to gain free distribution and marketing for a product people don't want, at the expense of Microsoft, under the invalidated accusation of IE having Market Dominance. If FireFox can get almost half of the Internet share, without Microsoft's assitance, then this prooves that it is the product that matters not the method of distribution.

Also with Internet Explorer being easy to deploy and manage for Enterprises, Organisations and Businesses it will always be the browser of choice there, and so will always have some degree of Market Share, perhaps if Opera were to work on their product and make it compelling to users, and enterprises, they may stand a chance.

#77 hdood

hdood

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:41

Kinda sounds like it to me Hdood.. Looks like its pretty difficult for you too. Since this is a quote from the original poster.

I should have known actually reading the whole article would be too difficult for you. Why don't you scroll down to Opera's explanation of what they feel would be enough. Here it is in Arial black:

Opera wants the EU to order Microsoft to insert a ballot screen into Windows; the screen would offer users several browser choices that would then either be activated -- if all were pre-installed on the machine -- or downloaded and installed.

#78 mdtaUK

mdtaUK

mdta - graphic designer

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:45

No, they don't. They want Microsoft to have to offer the user a list of browsers (including IE). This is even stated in the quote in the original poster, but I understand that reading is exceptionally difficult.

Mozilla and Google also support this.

I think you are misreading...

"The rendering engine will remain," Lie argued then.

Flipping a switch to simply make IE8 unavailable is not enough for Opera

Lie said that as far as Opera is concerned, turning off IE but leaving bits and pieces in Windows 7 isn't enough

Opera's Idea of a ballot screen is the only one they offer, because all they care about is publicising Opera Browser. If Microsoft said they would offer the choice of the top 4 browsers, that would satisfy Mozilla and Google, but guess what, Opera wouldn't make the list, and they would be even more ****ed off by this.

Can't you see why Opera are proposing this, its purely their business self-interests, not the interests of the Billions of Windows users throughout Europe!

#79 Subject Delta

Subject Delta

Father...it's me, Eleanor

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:45

I don't think its fair at all to expect Microsoft to include other browsers with Windows, for me they have done enough. Also, removing trident from Windows would break a hell of a lot of applications

#80 hdood

hdood

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:50

The EU and Opera were not making their case for the interests of users. Surely the dismal sales figures of Windows Vista N are proof that people do not want to buy EU dictated versions.

It was near impossible to get, and I've asked several people if they even knew it existed. None did. Even if they had, people would have gone for the non-N version because it seemed to offer more value for money.

That case was a complete failure, and hopefully the EU has learned from it and won't let it happen that way again.

And Opera's case against Microsoft [...]

It's not really "Opera's case". They're simply the ones who filed the complaint, the case is the European Council's.

I think you are misreading...

I'm not, I'm just not cherry-picking lines instead of reading the whole text in context.

Can't you see why Opera are proposing this, its purely their business self-interests, not the interests of the Billions of Windows users throughout Europe!

No ****, Sherlock. Of course Opera is doing it for themselves. So?

#81 mdtaUK

mdtaUK

mdta - graphic designer

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:55

No ****, Sherlock. Of course Opera is doing it for themselves. So?

What right does Opera have to dictate what the people of Europe should have in their Windows 7 Editions?

What do they contribute to Europe?

How as an EU citizen do I make my opinion clear about the case, as one of the users the EU is trying to protect?

How much is all this bueracracy costing us Tax Payers?

If you believe, as you seem to, that Opera are right, then thats your view, but it is not the majority view of Europeans, and I dont appreciate the EU making judgements that negatively affect me, in my 'interests'! I believe Firefox is a great browser, is the one I use, and that is despite IE coming with Windows.

I have chosen not to use Opera browsers on the PC because I think they make a lowsey product, not because IE or FF comes with Windows. Opera needs to realise this, and stop complaining about their lot in life!

#82 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:00

I'm not, I'm just not cherry-picking lines instead of reading the whole text in context.

Umm, your cherry picking only one part of the article as well..
Ahem..

Opera wants the EU to order Microsoft to insert a ballot screen into Windows; the screen would offer users several browser choices that would then either be activated -- if all were pre-installed on the machine -- or downloaded and installed.

#83 hdood

hdood

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:02

What right does Opera have to dictate what the people of Europe should have in their Windows 7 Editions?

None. They do, however, have the right to file a complaint so that the actual EC can decide whether it has any merit. It is not Opera that is doing anything. They don't secretly run the EC.

I have chosen not to use Opera browsers on the PC because I think they make a lowsey product, not because IE or FF comes with Windows. Opera needs to realise this, and stop complaining about their lot in life!

I would rather put my balls in a blender than use Opera, but that still doesn't mean that there can't be validity to the complaint.

[...] but it is not the majority view of Europeans, and I dont appreciate the EU making judgements that negatively affect me, in my 'interests'!

How would it hurt you if Windows offered you a choice of browsers when you first logged on? Because the additional costs would end up being recovered from customers in some way? That's the only thing I can think of.

#84 vetAntaris

Antaris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:13

so how about a Ballot Screen with Internet Explorer, Fire Fox, Safari & Chrome.....those are the major browsers aren't they??

EUBrowserSelection.jpg

#85 mdtaUK

mdtaUK

mdta - graphic designer

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:20

None. They do, however, have the right to file a complaint so that the actual EC can decide whether it has any merit. It is not Opera that is doing anything. They don't secretly run the EC.

I never said they had no right to file a complaint, and I didn't imply they run the EC, however I do not believe the EU is being fair to both sides in this particular case, because it has yet to acknowledge the big step Microsoft has made to react to Opera's <in my view>unjustifyed</in my view> complaint.

I would rather put my balls in a blender than use Opera, but that still doesn't mean that there can't be validity to the complaint.

I would have thought the success of Firefox and even Chrome is proof that Microsoft's Browser and bundeling is not the reason for Opera's failure.

How would it hurt you if Windows offered you a choice of browsers when you first logged on? Because the additional costs would end up being recovered from customers in some way? That's the only thing I can think of.

Having the 'ballot screen' is an uneccesary response to this situation, and would lead to many complications for Microsoft (product support, out of date versions), but more than that there is a moral issue. Why should Microsoft have to support Opera the company, for making a crap product. This is what Opera wants, and they are manipulating the facts to make out that the EU citizens are being hard-done-by because of Microsoft, when it is simply about providing the EC with financial recompence from Microsoft.

Basically the EU want Microsoft to pay fines

Opera want Microsoft to prop-up their company and distribute their crappy product.

#86 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:21

Nice mockup Antaris.. But, MS wouldn't be caught dead offering Safari on any of their products...

#87 Lechio

Lechio

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:22

Based on speed, features, reliability and accessibility. these are the best of breed Browsers to give you the best Internet experience

Then why is it that IE comes first?

How about security? That's a very important feature too.

Opera fits into all of those too, where's Opera? :rofl:

Nice mockup by the way.

#88 mdtaUK

mdtaUK

mdta - graphic designer

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:24

EUBrowserSelection.jpg

Would Opera let that ballot screen go ahead, without their product included... :rolleyes:

Also the other issues...

- What order are the browsers listed in?
- What about new browsers being released in Windows 7's lifetime...
- If the browsers are on the machine, they will be come out of date...
- How do they decide on which browsers to include?
- Who is responsible if a browser like Chrome messes up the OS?

Here is an alternative proposal. Put all the popular browsers onto Windows Update (by the website records of browser usage), including IE8, and give the user a chance to install the latest version from that when first connecting to the internet. Companies would have to provide updates, hotfixes and patches through Windows Update, and that way the list is always upto date, people can hide a browser like they can any other update so it wont pop up, and Microsoft could ensure the browsers meet basic reliablity standards, so it wont cause a machine to crash etc.

Edited by martinDTanderson, 18 July 2009 - 12:34.

#89 morphen

morphen

Northern Neowinian®

• Phone: HTC One S, Galaxy Note 2

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:24

bah! Why didn't the the financial crisis kill of opera? their whining is getting on my nerves!"#¤%

Why don't they listen to the people like Microsoft has done with Windows 7?

#90 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:27

I would have thought the success of Firefox and even Chrome is proof that Microsoft's Browser and bundeling is not the reason for Opera's failure.

Thank you!