[ASP.NET] Good online text-based tutorials?

Question

Hello. I haven learnt some basic things in C#, and now I want to take a look at ASP.NET. I searched the net, but I can't find a good tutorial to learn ASP.NET, and I don't like watching videos to learn programming (eg. Videos on asp.net).

Could someone suggest me some good websites to learn ASP.NET? And, which version of ASP.NET should I learn? ASP.NET 3.0?

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

I'm going to start looking at ASP.NET properly near the end of August, so I don't know too much about it yet, but the ASP.NET tutorial on W3Schools looks pretty decent :)

About the version number... I'd go for the latest version. I know the latest version of the .NET Framework is version 3.5 and that's what I've created my project as, so I'd recommend that.

I'm going to start looking at ASP.NET properly near the end of August, so I don't know too much about it yet, but the ASP.NET tutorial on W3Schools looks pretty decent :)

About the version number... I'd go for the latest version. I know the latest version of the .NET Framework is version 3.5 and that's what I've created my project as, so I'd recommend that.

Do you mean this:

http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/default.asp

I read some pages too, as I have learnt HTML/ CSS/ PHP from it, very good tutorial. But in ASP.NET, I found some mistakes, for example:

<html>
<body bgcolor="yellow">
<center>
<h2>Hello W3Schools!</h2>
<p><%Response.Write(now())%></p>
</center>
</body>
</html>

If you put this piece of code into Visual Studio, there will be an compilation error:

Compiler Error Message: CS1002: ; expected

In addition, tutorials on w3schools covers only ASP.NET 2.0.

Do you mean this:

http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/default.asp

I read some pages too, as I have learnt HTML/ CSS/ PHP from it, very good tutorial. But in ASP.NET, I found some mistakes, for example:

<html>
<body bgcolor="yellow">
<center>
<h2>Hello W3Schools!</h2>
<p><%Response.Write(now())%></p>
</center>
</body>
</html>

If you put this piece of code into Visual Studio, there will be an compilation error:

The tutorial assumes vb.net, but you're using C#.

Hello. I haven learnt some basic things in C#, and now I want to take a look at ASP.NET. I searched the net, but I can't find a good tutorial to learn ASP.NET, and I don't like watching videos to learn programming (eg. Videos on asp.net).

Could someone suggest me some good websites to learn ASP.NET? And, which version of ASP.NET should I learn? ASP.NET 3.0?

Thanks.

Yeah I don't think you'll find any indepth tutorials without buying a programming book.

I did mean that one, yes. I do apologise, I didn't notice it was version 2.0.

Looks like I will have to try and find a good tutorial or book now as well.

Thanks.

http://www.asp.net/learn/ they have more than just video tutorials, try looking at the Tutorials and the Documentation & Samples content.

From what I have seen 3.0 and 2.0 isn't hugely different, I know there must be differences but I don't think it really matters, as long as it's 2 or 3. Besides it up to 4 now anyway, as a beta at least. Could be wrong though.

http://www.asp.net/learn/ they have more than just video tutorials, try looking at the Tutorials and the Documentation & Samples content.

From what I have seen 3.0 and 2.0 isn't hugely different, I know there must be differences but I don't think it really matters, as long as it's 2 or 3. Besides it up to 4 now anyway, as a beta at least. Could be wrong though.

The major difference is LINQ.

You have:

LINQ to SQL

LINQ to XML

LINQ to Entities.

It is a HUGE improvement over version 2.0 providing much better access to databases, and controls like the ListView and DataPager make life very easy.

In 3.5 SP1 there is also things like ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET dynamic data, alsorts of stuff to float everyones boat.

I wish they would just stick with one clear path for developers.

Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing in commerical enviroments, no-one knows what to go with :laugh:

Version 4 should prove to be awesome!