Dell Support Recommends Users turn OFF Automatic Updates

I just got back from a call were I had to repair someones vista machine. The problem was a stuck service and a 3rd party add-on crashing internet explorer 8. I got both those problems fixed as well as Service pack 2 for Vista installed. While I was waiting for Sp2 to install he was telling me about his experience with dell support. He then proceeds to tell me that the support guy on the other end of the phone recommended that he turn off automatic updates. He said that "they" as in everyone else doing support recommends that for their customers, because Windows update can cause issues.

So when I got home I did a google search for "Dell recommends turning off automatic updates". I then found this post

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247820/19393112.aspx

"I recently called Dell Tech Support and worked with them to resolve a USB issue I was having with my XPS. We were able to get the issue resolved and everything was working fine. Then, again after everything was fixed, he said something like "I have a note here that says we are supposed to get all of our Vista users to disable Windows Update". I went back and forth with him for a while on this one trying to figure out why anyone would ever give this sort of advice. Just to appease the guy, I said I would do it and he responded "You will be much safer now!”

First off there is not much I can say about this without having most of my post filled with *'s. So I'll just say "What a bunch of morons".

What are your thoughts?

Edited by warwagon

LOL

In all seriousness, I think they say that so that the computers crap themselves out, and have to either send it back for repairs ($$$) or buy a new laptop altogether ($$$)

"What a bunch of morons" is right. Yes, there have been a few occasions when an update has caused some issues but it was generally rectified within a day or two at most. Turning Windows Update off is like putting a fresh copy of Windows XP RTM on a high-speed internet connection, you're pretty much screwed.

If you want to avoid issues with Windows Update, set the automatic update schedule to the end of the week. Any issues are generally fixed by then (or the patches pulled until issues are fixed).

Dell Support aren't the brightest at times. They claimed the 9 dead pixels along the bottom of my laptop LCD were normal after receiving it back from the repair depot (when it previously had no dead pixels at all). It wound up being sent in again to have the screen replaced along with the casing and the motherboard. Ugh.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Updates keep you safer. Yes, they may be issues, because not even Microsoft can test for every single configuration out there. I haven't had any issues in a long, long time but your mileage may vary. I'm rather be safe, myself.

......Security Center notifies you about having Windows Update turned off and the risks involved. Way to shoot yourself in the foot Dell.

I was laughing by the time I finished reading the statement by Dell Support. What a bunch of morons is right! They should know that keeping your computer up to date helps protects the user. Yeah, there may be issues, but they're rare, and like Kristan said, they're usually resolved anyway.

While I understand the risks of disabling AUTOMATIC updates, it is the users responsibility to keep their system updated when the options are disabled. Dell didn't mean to stop updating, just disable the auto updates as a trouble-shooting step. But that doesn't mean you can't go to Windows Update (via Start) and still download updates. Disabling updates is one of the common trouble shooting steps. Once you have solved the problems,...then yeah enable automatic updates.

Some IT workers are just lazy and just tell people to do this or that but never tells them to redo this or that after problems has been solved.

But then again, Windows automatic updates shouldn't be called "Automatic" Updates...it still needs your input to restart the PC in some cases.

While I understand the risks of disabling AUTOMATIC updates, it is the users responsibility to keep their system updated when the options are disabled. Dell didn't mean to stop updating, just disable the auto updates as a trouble-shooting step. But that doesn't mean you can't go to Windows Update (via Start) and still download updates. Disabling updates is one of the common trouble shooting steps. Once you have solved the problems,...then yeah enable automatic updates.

Some IT workers are just lazy and just tell people to do this or that but never tells them to redo this or that after problems has been solved.

But then again, Windows automatic updates shouldn't be called "Automatic" Updates...it still needs your input to restart the PC in some cases.

It goes something like this.

1) A regular person buy's Windows XP back in 2001.

2) Dell support tells them to turn off Automatic Updates.

3) The user never installs a single update ever again, and in 2009 is still running Windows XP RTM.

Edited by warwagon

dell are garbage and you wonder why i don't like anything called a dell as they are complete crap and if autoupdates are turned off the user wont get new updates automaticaly thought they can check manualy but to them thats a hassle, dell just tells you that so when the pc has problems they get more money which to them is all they care about, i prefer quality of service over a price tag so do it right the first time and resolve issues when needed instead of being forced to fix something that could have been avoided earlier.

There was a time when an anti-virus was absolutely essential. I have not needed any anti virus on my windows XP gig for the last 3 years (Of course with Windows XP, the windows update took care of the security).

There was a time when windows update was absolutely essential. I have not needed Windows Update on my Windows Vista gig for the last 2.5 years. (With Windows Vista, Service Packs took care of the security).

Btw I have disabled automatic updates; But i do a manual check of available updates and usually install only updated drivers and IE related security fixes.

I have liked my Dell machines, but this story doesn't surprise me at all about their customer support. I have had some really mind boggling issues with them in the past. They've never told me to turn off automatic updates, but they have said a LOT of stupid or ignorant things.

One time I was only able to connect to my home wireless network using the built in wireless card. I couldn't connect to any other wireless networks including the one at the office, which I previously could. The technician at Dell told me that was how wireless cards work, they only connect to one network. I told him that maybe it could only connect to one wireless network AT A TIME, but not just one network EVER, but they insisted that that was not the case and once I set it up with my network at the house that was the only network I would EVER be able to connect to and that if I needed to be able to connect to the network at the office I should have chosen to set it up on that network instead. WTH?? LOL I rarely lose my cool, but that time I did...

There was a time when an anti-virus was absolutely essential. I have not needed any anti virus on my windows XP gig for the last 3 years (Of course with Windows XP, the windows update took care of the security).

There was a time when windows update was absolutely essential. I have not needed Windows Update on my Windows Vista gig for the last 2.5 years. (With Windows Vista, Service Packs took care of the security).

Btw I have disabled automatic updates; But i do a manual check of available updates and usually install only updated drivers and IE related security fixes.

Huh? :|

I just hope you don't complain about Windows problems or issues that are fixed with updates between every service pack release.

I do agree that, for people doing safe surfing or knowing all they are doing, security applications like AV's or Firewalls can be of little to no use. However, everyone is sharing files/info/documents with other people (be it for fun or work) and thus, I can't recommend anyone to live without at leas some security application in their computer.

I just hope you don't complain about Windows problems or issues that are fixed with updates between every service pack release.

I do agree that, for people doing safe surfing or knowing all they are doing, security applications like AV's or Firewalls can be of little to no use. However, everyone is sharing files/info/documents with other people (be it for fun or work) and thus, I can't recommend anyone to live without at leas some security application in their computer.

Oh, absolutely. Because if someone you share a network with or something makes the poor choice of not running antivirus software or installing updates then happens to browse somewhere and get something, there's nothing now stopping it from getting on your machine...

I will not let let Windows Update automatically download and install updates.

I prefer to go to the website on my own and choose to download which updates I want.

What bugs me is when Microsoft puts IE8 as a high-priority update as an example as to why I do this.

That is an upgrade or new version, not a high-priority "update"

I have definitely had crashes from Updates, in the past.

I tend to prefer adding Updates one at a time, or wait for the cumulative Update.

I also like to know just what Microsoft is deciding to add to my hard drive.

I don't want needless crap. :laugh:

I have definitely had crashes from Updates, in the past.

I tend to prefer adding Updates one at a time, or wait for the cumulative Update.

I also like to know just what Microsoft is deciding to add to my hard drive.

I don't want needless crap. :laugh:

^ And that's exactly the point. In any corporate environment where downtime costs money, Automatic Updates are DISABLED. In fact, you don't download the patches from Microsoft, your System Admin has a WSUS server configured and a test machine where they make sure the patches will not impact the business. They put the patches through a Quality Assurance cycle, and then if they pass, they are rolled out to all the domain users.

Home users who are not technically sound, may actually experience more problems with Automatic Updates than without. Patches can make significant changes to the O/S, and there is just not enough Microsoft can do to account for all the hardware configurations and operating conditions a home user can have.

It is a double-edge sword, but I'll bet it reduces the number of support calls Dell receives. But remember, this is for non-techie consumers. If you know what you're doing, you can risk automatic updates, because you can rollback, or worst-case reinstall.