Shock threat to shut Skype

Checked that one out, the call rates are higher...

It's still quite new, they've only recently released version 2 into Beta. Try Gizmo5 then.

It's still quite new, they've only recently released version 2 into Beta. Try Gizmo5 then.

Some of those are even higher than in the other one.

Some of those are even higher than in the other one.

Well, then you're **** out of luck if Skype goes away, because you'll have to choose one.

I agree I think this was a scam of sorts done by the original owners.. They sell them Skype, keep the backend stuff, which is the MAJOR part of it, and work on designing a different kind of skype that uses the same backend.. Then when done, revoke the license so you can use the backend again for yourself on the new venture.

VoxOx is not US oriented, I am in Canada, signed up no problem, why because it does international.

Sorry, I forgot about Canada. It is 'North America' oriented (that is it only give 1-xxx phone incoming numbers).

I agree I think this was a scam of sorts done by the original owners.. They sell them Skype, keep the backend stuff, which is the MAJOR part of it, and work on designing a different kind of skype that uses the same backend.. Then when done, revoke the license so you can use the backend again for yourself on the new venture.

I thought this is not backend issue, but some encryption tech?

In any case, that was to be expected - Skype was founded by people who developed KaZaa, isn't it? Hardly law-respecting folks.

On the bright of this, maybe we can get people to Ekiga instead.

never heard of it. Googled it and it looks like pidgin but for voice? Any good?

Quite frankly, it's their own fault for depending on a service not under their control.

Eh?

Skype is a company backed by one of the most well known and long running presences on the internet. If you were going to depend on a VoIP solution, one owned by a company as big as eBay would seem like a pretty safe bet. We're not talking some two bit local internet startup or a regionalised telco or something!

Ultimately EVERY business and every individual will depend on services not under their control!

never heard of it. Googled it and it looks like pidgin but for voice? Any good?

Well, it says it does voice, but I am using VoxOx, may check out Ekiga more at a later date.