[winxp] GUIDE: Making your windows folder smaller!

Hmm ok, here's a quote from line 8..\

8. c:\windows\srchasst

This folder is the XP Search assistant, if you delete it, windows will just use the classic 2k style search instead, which is more functional and easier to use.

Right, so when you delete the contents, your actually deleting windows search system? hmmm, I've done it and what do I come up with.."A File that is required to run Search Companion can-not be found. You may need to run setup. And so when I run search I hit ok to that pop-up box, and guess what? No search option!

Hmm ok, here's a quote from line 8..\

8. c:\windows\srchasst

This folder is the XP Search assistant, if you delete it, windows will just use the classic 2k style search instead, which is more functional and easier to use.

Right, so when you delete the contents, your actually deleting windows search system? hmmm, I've done it and what do I come up with.."A File that is required to run Search Companion can-not be found. You may need to run setup. And so when I run search I hit ok to that pop-up box, and guess what? No search option!

What you are deleting is the search assistant thing, I dont know why other people have problems with this, but when ever I do it, it just reverts my search back to the windows 2000 style one, without the stupid dog thing moving around :wacko:

I will put a warning by this step so others dont screw things up :p

Remember, if anything ever goes wrong, just run "scf /scannow" from the run box, and it will but it back to normal ;)

About the Windows 3.1 stuff in the system folder, as far as I know this is required for running old 16-bit programs. They will look for the dll and other files they need in the system folder, so as far as they are concerned they are running on Windows 3.1 :)

I noticed that by using GPEdit you can completely turn off support for running 16-bit programs. I have not tried it but if you did this the System folder may not be necessary anymore. It only takes up one megabyte though so probably not worth the risk. This also might be a useful tweak if you don't need to run old programs and want as much speed and stability as possible.

About the Windows 3.1 stuff in the system folder, as far as I know this is required for running old 16-bit programs. They will look for the dll and other files they need in the system folder, so as far as they are concerned they are running on Windows 3.1 :)

I noticed that by using GPEdit you can completely turn off support for running 16-bit programs. I have not tried it but if you did this the System folder may not be necessary anymore. It only takes up one megabyte though so probably not worth the risk. This also might be a useful tweak if you don't need to run old programs and want as much speed and stability as possible.

I don't have/use windows anymore, so I cant try it, but thanks for the info :p

I never had/used any 16-bit programs, so it shouldn't be a problem for me, I will try it next time I have a chance to use XP :p

It's under Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Application compatibility. Here is what it says under the Explanation tab:

Specifies whether to prevent the MS-DOS subsystem (ntvdm.exe) from running on this computer. This setting affects the launching of 16-bit applications in the operating system. By default, the MS-DOS subsystem runs for all users on this computer.

You can use this setting to turn off the MS-DOS subsystem, which will reduce resource usage and prevent users from running 16-bit applications. To run any 16-bit application or any application with 16-bit components, ntvdm.exe must be allowed to run. The MS-DOS subsystem starts when the first 16-bit application is launched. While the MS-DOS subsystem is running, any subsequent 16-bit applications launch faster, but overall resource usage on the system is increased.

If the status is set to Enabled, ntvdm.exe is prevented from running, which then prevents any 16-bit applications from running. In addition, any 32-bit applications with 16-bit installers or other 16-bit components cannot run.

i can't believe i never noticed this thread until now. very very nice, indeed.

i can't get my windows dir below 500MB anymore because of all the huge, umicons-modded .dll's hah

Hey Engmike8 & DrunkenMaster how did u both get your Windows folder down to such a small size?? Kindly guide me as well with some safe tips to apply :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is an awesome guide. Thanks.

Is there any way to remove these items so they are never installed with windows installation? There's a thread over at Hardware geeks but there's no guide and it's VERY complex.

Hey Engmike8 & DrunkenMaster how did u both get your Windows folder down to such a small size?? Kindly guide me as well with some safe tips to apply :)

I don't know how I got the folder that much smaller than everyone else. I just followed the guide.

Trashing the dll cache is the biggest step of all. I also removed the help files, etc. Since I was making an image of the drive, I moved the pagefile to another drive (that might explain the "discrepancy" ;)). I usually do that anyways and change it down to 400-600 max size, seems to be a bit faster - also makes the disk image smaller.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know how I got the folder that much smaller than everyone else. I just followed the guide.

Trashing the dll cache is the biggest step of all. I also removed the help files, etc. Since I was making an image of the drive, I moved the pagefile to another drive (that might explain the "discrepancy" ;)). I usually do that anyways and change it down to 400-600 max size, seems to be a bit faster - also makes the disk image smaller.

I can't post the entire list, just as I couldn't post my entire list for which files can be deleted safely from XP, because of their sheer size. But if you are seriously interested in reducing your Windows folder further, here's this link to which System32 files I delete:

http://www.bit-quest.com/forums/index.php?...topic=1087&st=0

Bold_Fortune, does deleting the Default User and Network Services affect login-type PCs?

iron2000, I found this for you. I save so much of this kind of information about files (identifying files uses and their meanings is my hobby) I forgot I even had it until now. So I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you with an intelligent response.

Per Rob Relder, who is a very-well respect pro. He even at one time had his own radio computer talk show:

The default user folder is used to build a profile for any user logging on to your PC for the first time.

If you delete the default user folder, any new user accounts will not be able to log on. Also if any current profile becomes corrupted, that account will be toasted too.

This folder holds the MS Agent program. The MS Agent is a gay little wizard thing...

Okay, I just read that. How the hell is the MS Agent gay? I am sure that it is not.

Damnit, I hate that term. It's ANNOYING. Now I hate another person.

Okay, I just read that. How the hell is the MS Agent gay? I am sure that it is not.

Damnit, I hate that term. It's ANNOYING. Now I hate another person.

Main Entry: 1gay

Pronunciation: 'gA

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French gai

Date: 14th century

1 a : happily excited : MERRY b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits

2 a : BRIGHT, LIVELY <gay sunny meadows> b : brilliant in color

3 : given to social pleasures; also : LICENTIOUS

4 a : HOMOSEXUAL b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a gay bar>

synonym see LIVELY

He must have been looking at meanings #'s 1 and 2. You must have thought he meant meaning #4. So you don't have to hate him now.

I may hate whomever I want.

The connotation he was attempting to use is in none of your definitions, Bold_Fortune.

:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :) :dontgetit: :laugh: :laugh: :D

That is true...but also, anyone can call anything gay. live with it. ;)

iron2000, I found this for you. I save so much of this kind of information about files (identifying files uses and their meanings is my hobby) I forgot I even had it until now. So I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you with an intelligent response.

Per Rob Relder, who is a very-well respect pro. He even at one time had his own radio computer talk show:

The default user folder is used to build a profile for any user logging on to your PC for the first time.

If you delete the default user folder, any new user accounts will not be able to log on. Also if any current profile becomes corrupted, that account will be toasted too.

Thanks Bold_Fortune!

(what a unique hobby you have!)

• 3 weeks later...

I can see someone thinking they can do this and they'll be all like :shifty:

and then about a month later their computer will crash and they'll be all like :wacko:

and then they'll come back to neowin and be all like :cry:

then someone one will reply and be all like :D

then they'll respond with :angry:

then everyone will be all like :crazy:

So in conclusion, dont screw up your operating system and dare to ask someone to help you fix it. Because I know there is some people who just cannot leave well enough alone.

This article is just :devil: Dangerous

Haha...someone will mess up their computer. I like the idea of cutting down the Windows directory size but I am so busy right now that I do not have time to be overly paranoid about how much space it is taking up. When I start running out of room which I doubt will happen any time soon then I will start deleting files out of those directories.