COD4 PunkBuster Problems

I just installed Windows 7 RC and now when I play CoD4 I get PunkBuster problems because it won't initialize or what have you. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'll assume you haven't updated PunkBuster.

Here's what you do:

1. Download and install PBSetup v3.4 from this page.
  2. Run the program and select Call of Duty 4 from the "Add a game" selection screen.
  3. Click the "Check for updates" button and patiently wait as PunkBuster is updated to the latest version.
  4. Exit the program and start playing in your favourite PunkBuster-protected server.

By the way, I just realized that the site offers its own instructions (with screenshots). I clearly haven't had enough sleep. :sleep:

Was there a new version put out yesterday, or is there some sort of thing that PB released for Win7?

I was playing online yesterday morning just fine with Vista, and my PB was up to date then obviously.

Was there a new version put out yesterday, or is there some sort of thing that PB released for Win7?

I was playing online yesterday morning just fine with Vista, and my PB was up to date then obviously.

Like others have said already, you need to update punkbuster using pbsetup.

I don't know but it really depends on how often PunkBuster checks for the right client version. If there's a mismatch, then it'll kick you from the server.

Like others have said already, you need to update punkbuster using pbsetup.

Just did that, I'll try playing again after work today - it could be that the Win7 upgrade for some reason either rolled back or completely got rid of PunkBuster, because again I was playing just fine yesterday morning, and I did some research and there wasn't a new version coincidentally put out yesterday.

Strange that the upgrade did that, it's the only thing that's messed up as far as I can tell, if that's indeed what happened.

I don't know but it really depends on how often PunkBuster checks for the right client version. If there's a mismatch, then it'll kick you from the server.

In COD4 on the console press ` to bring it up if you type /pb_sleep it tells you how long it takes to check and you can increase that number.

Another way to fix this is just start your own server, you will see at the bottom it will say updating punkbuster in yellow and red text i think it was, and COD4 will update punkbuster from there.

I updated and all that jazz and it worked like a charm yesterday. Fast forward to today and now I'm getting kicked with the same error.

Started my own server, and it tried to kick me but couldn't because I was the host; didn't say anything about PB being out of date or anything along those lines...

i googled around and found some people having issues with it back in the betas and even before. here's what i found that other poeple are saying works:

This has worked for me, but remember to start off with a clean install in case you have made other attempts to *fix* this.

1. Install CoD4 with PB that comes with it.

2. Install all the patches to bring it up to the current version (1.7)

3. Do a PB manual update.

4. Run Cod4 to make sure all services start.

5. Set the following files to Vista compatibility mode:

* C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PnkBstrA.exe

* C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PnkBstrB.exe

6. Play the game.

This has been verified on 64b only, builds: 7100 & 7600 (3 Machines, 2x 7100 and 1 7600) I have been able to play it on build 7100 32b but the executable's are in a different location and I haven't documented them.

I have logged about 3.5 days of constant play with this working, and I've been playing on PB enabled servers.

http://www.<< spam >>/gaming/8522-cal...html#post199878

if i had to guess i'd say it probably has something to do with the vista compatibility mode for the punkbuster binaries so i'd probably just try that part first and see where that gets you. good luck.

Too lazy to find the RTM and wait for it to download.

I'll try running as admin.

Yeah, going to try to avoid having to do that. I have to start over with a completely new profile if I run it that way, and that's not really what I want to be doing...

Just tried it out, just in case, and it still kicks me.

For the record I can't find PnkBstrB.exe, or PnkBstrA.exe for that matter, on my computer. Every time I run PBSetup.exe, it says it's the first time running it. It's not showing up in system32 after I run it, and nothing is showing up in my services like it should.