LH + network

have any of you managed to get a network running using LH. it refuses to detect my ethernet card. it can see it, but theres a great big yellow exclamation mark by it... grrr...

its a realtek fast-ethernet card - anyone else have any luck?

does it work with 4015? (i have 4008)

tom

u can try downlaoding 4015. dont know if it will work sorry. i also dont think i have a patch.

My network is fine with Longhorn. Not sure why it doesnt detect/install some hardware but it seems to be a bit bitchy on the environment at the moment.

The explorer memory leak isnt that noticeable after you spend a day or so tweaking. My uptime is about 2 weeks with 4015 atm, and in this time i've only had 2 explorer crashes and 300mb ram used :).

woah u leave u computer on that long!! i turn mine off every night!!!

so you use 4015? did network work with 4008 or have you not used it?

tom

My network is fine with Longhorn. Not sure why it doesnt detect/install some hardware but it seems to be a bit bitchy on the environment at the moment.

The explorer memory leak isnt that noticeable after you spend a day or so tweaking. My uptime is about 2 weeks with 4015 atm, and in this time i've only had 2 explorer crashes and 300mb ram used :).

oh man.. i had the sidebar on, and got over 12 explorer crashes. could not stand them. i did lots of tweaks also.

woah !! i turn mine off every night!!!

one of the things microsoft has focused on a lot with the NT line of windows is reliablility. the simple answer is because windows is built to run for weeks, if not months ;)

edit: oops, i thought you said "why u leave u computer on that long"...

the simple answer is because windows is built to run for weeks, if not months ;)

Microsoft claims Windows Server 2003 can go for at least 6 months up time... haven't had 6 months to try it though!

FWIW: I'm a legit OS tester for MSFT and had deployed Win2k3 Server on most of the servers @ my small company starting w/the first RC and have only had to reboot them to install the newer versions. No crashes, no need to reboot after making major configuration changes, etc. Excellent OS in the real world.

• 4 weeks later...

If you tell us the EXACT name of the ethernet card (Realtek-8029AS or whatever) then we can help you finding drivers ?! Was the card detected in Windows XP/2000 ?

it refuses to detect my ethernet card. it can see it, but theres a great big yellow exclamation mark by it... grrr...

It actually DOES see your card, the problem is that it is conflicting with something else without showing. Check if the card uses IRQ 11, if not, change it to use that IRQ. This was a very common problem with old NICs when Win2k was released.