Squirrel is surprise star of holiday photo

The couple had set the timer on their camera while posing at a lakeside in a national park in Canada.

Just as they were about to be captured on camera the cheeky squirrel popped up in the foreground and stole the show.

The picture was taken at the side of the stunning Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park, Canada.

Mrs Brandts said: "We had our camera set up on some rocks and were getting ready to take the picture when this curious little ground squirrel appeared, became intrigued with the sound of the focusing camera and popped right into our shot."

The picture was submitted to the website of America's National Geographic magazine.

'It was a once in a lifetime moment - we were laughing about this little guy for days!' said Mrs Brandts.

squirrel460_1461341c.jpg

Source

So cute. Awesome shot. Squirrels are awesome. I have one that rummages around in my back yard. I throw him grapes and stuff and he eats them using his little hands. Really funny little fellas to watch.

Ground squirrels are really cute, I made friends with a bunch of them when I lived in Calgary at that public park at the end of 7th Ave SE. However, if you're ever in Banff don't feed them, as it's an offense.

he was hoping to be the next star in a Auto/Insurance commercial, has to get his start somewhere

All we have here are these grey fellows:

grey%20squirrel.jpg

Brown ones look kind of wierd.

The brown ones are our native ones here and they are starting to become rare as the bigger, stronger greys and blacks have been brought over from Europe and are taking over. To me a squirrel's a squirrel, but it's always sad when a native animal is wiped out by an invasive one.

All we have here are these grey fellows:

grey%20squirrel.jpg

Brown ones look kind of wierd.

We've got black, grey, and brown here in Ontario.

I actually totally forgot about this, but I had a pet squirrel for a little while when I was 5 or so. A baby had fallen out of a tree and hurt itself, so my mom took it home and nursed it to health. He would run around your body in a circular motion like they run up a tree, and sit on your shoulder. We found his little nut caches around the house for MONTHS after we released him back into the wild, lol.