Add IE8 icon to desktop

There are numerous guides online about how to add the IE icon back to the desktop. Whizz up a quick Google search on "Add IE icon to desktop". I had a link here, but it's vanished. Sorry mate!

There are numerous guides online about how to add the IE icon back to the desktop. Whizz up a quick Google search on "Add IE icon to desktop". I had a link here, but it's vanished. Sorry mate!

Yea that's the issue I'm having. The guides that worked for vista don't for windows 7.

That's because the functionality was removed from Windows 7:

Important Windows 7 no longer supports the ability to modify the registry to get the special Internet Explorer icon to appear on your desktop. This change was made to ensure Internet Explorer could be removed easily for compliance reasons. The only way to add the Internet Explorer icon to the desktop in Windows 7 is to create a shortcut.

-- from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/945402

If you really care about getting the IE icon onto your desktop and without the little shortcut arrow I could write a small app with the IE icon that launches Internet Explorer if you'd like. Though you'd need to have "Hide common file extensions" enabled from Explorer otherwise you'd see the .exe part xD

If you really care about getting the IE icon onto your desktop and without the little shortcut arrow I could write a small app with the IE icon that launches Internet Explorer if you'd like. Though you'd need to have "Hide common file extensions" enabled from Explorer otherwise you'd see the .exe part xD

No, that's ok. Thanks for offering though.

It doesn't.

I've had Windows 7 for a while, the only way to get the IE icon on the desktop is to make a normal shortcut...

... until there's a hack :p

one can just browse to the internet explorer folder and right click on iexplorer.exe and send to desktop as shortcut...then just rename it. use the remove shortcut arrows fix and be done with it.

snag000.jpg

Edited by jwjw1

• 7 months later...

I have been trying to find info on how to add a IE8 icon to the desktop (not a shortcut) but I did not have any luck. Anybody know how to do it? Thanks.

Hi There. It's quite easy to send a shortcut to your desktop from the Control Panel using "Internet Options". You could keep the shortcut on the desktop or pull it down to your Quick Launch area.

...... Pin it to your task-bar instead!!!!!!! no shortcut icon ..... and its always available if u need! :)

• 3 years later...

...... Pin it to your task-bar instead!!!!!!! no shortcut icon ..... and its always available if u need! smile.gif

Are you aware that you can activate the QLA in Windows 7?  You can fit a lot more shortcuts to programs, files and folder in that area than pinning everything to the Taskbar.  Also, you cannot pin a file shortcut to the Taskbar, it has to be the program e.g. Notepad. Then you have to right click Notepad to see the last file you opened.  Yes it's a nice feature but I combined pinning with the QLA. ;)

Ok so a guy who only has 3 posts over three years decides to bump a thread where the previous last reply just happens to have been made on the same day he created his account?

Ok so a guy who only has 3 posts over three years decides to bump a thread where the previous last reply just happens to have been made on the same day he created his account?

I am in many forums and not all get my full attention - like this one.