[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

Sony announces new PS3 Slim, coming first week of Sept.

We know, we're as shocked as you are, which is to say, not at all: Sony has used the GamesCom stage in Cologne to announce the oh-so-tiny PS3 Slim. The good news is that the system sports both a slimmer form factor (33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter and 34 percent less power use) a 120 GB hard drive and a tidy pricetag, $299. The bad news? All the same features as current PS3, which means still no backwards compatibility with all PS2 games.

If you've been holding off on buying a chunkier PS3 until the inevitable release of its slimmer little brother, your wait will finally end in Sept.

Source: Joystiq

Oh, and yes, it's exactly the same as the pictures previously leaked. It's also 299 Euros, and 29,980 Yen. No word on UK price just yet.

EDIT: Thanks to AB :p

6fad5f2f-dc87-43ee-be62-c4be2cadcb46_400.jpg

9443cc6d-3e6e-4ae3-bdb4-6e44714cfcd1_400.jpg

d8e33901-d8ac-4f92-9849-f5c76af4fec1_400.jpg

este_18185415_09450.jpg

6215296_blog018.jpg

6215296_blog017.jpg

6215296_blog016.jpg

I'm not sure about this, I might sell my current PS3 and get a Slim for it, just because it's smaller...

Size of it is appealing, and the 36 or 43%? lower energy usage.

However buttons are horrible, should of kept touch buttons, but I suspect they went the way of the dodo for cost cutting.

As I said in my topic the current PS3 is $299 in stores starting tomorrow, I'd pick that up before September if you don't want a Slim.

However buttons are horrible, should of kept touch buttons, but I suspect they went the way of the dodo for cost cutting.

As I said in my topic the current PS3 is $299 in stores starting tomorrow, I'd pick that up before September if you don't want a Slim.

I personally hate the touch buttons. :)

Well this is what the PS3 needed to boost some sales, would've preferred a $250-$279 price tag though, then it'd be tough competition.

I'd just wait until September, after the slim is out. The current ones will REALLY be on liquidation then.

why is this such a big deal?

i get the price drop being a big deal, but the slim? is the original that annoying that it needed a revamp?

Yes, it was massive and expensive.

From the official press release

Power consumption

Approx. 250W

External dimensions

(excluding maximum projecting part )

Approx. 290 ? 65 ? 290 mm (width ? height ? lengtMass

Approx. 3.2kg

Needs a stand to go on it's side I think (safely anyway). Think it's included

[quIncluded

Vertical Stand (CECH-ZS1) ?External dimensionn

Approx. 88 mm x 18 mm x 260 mm (width ? height ? leMassass

Approx.Supportsrts

CECH-2000 series

* The ?Vertical Stand? is for the new PS3 system (CECH-2000 series) and cannot be used on the current model.