Yes mate, the silver edition from play is a lot more money, im waiting to see if game add early beta access, but thats possibly a play exclusive, I will still wait for any more news on a proper collectors edition though as it seems one is coming, and they all come with 30 days play :) if ure not worried about beta, go with game which is ?10 less or wait and see if amazon confirm theirs as a special with extras.

Please define the other online games you are referring to, because most of the good ones, let's see...WoW, Eve, Aion, Everquest, LotRo and plenty more all require monthly subscriptions, and in fact the MMO's that don't have a monthly sub earn their money other ways, usually by making you pay to buy in game items and such like, or even obtain their money through content packages rather than free updates that you will get with the big MMO's.

like micro transactions?

like micro transactions?

Yes, how do you feel this differs to paying a single monthly fee, when potentially people are spending more on smaller in game transactions per month to keep up or get the best gear?

Yes, how do you feel this differs to paying a single monthly fee, when potentially people are spending more on smaller in game transactions per month to keep up or get the best gear?

Any idea how much the subscription will cost?

On STO site the amazon special edition is getting

Borg Bridge OfficerThe Borg Bridge Officer features a unique costume and three unique skills: Nano Probes, Efficiency and Borg Neural Blast | Head Start AccessGain early access to Star Trek Online, the weekend before launch! | Open Beta Access

and only ?17.99 Amazon Still waiting for HMV to get back, they got till Friday then I'll cancel and order this, Borg officer for me.. :)

Edit: Just seen what HMV is offering

Tribble Pet | Head Start AccessGain early access to Star Trek Online, the weekend before launch! | Open Beta Access

, canceling now and ordering on Amazon.

Ah cool, okay so at the moment it looks like I may be changing to Amazon to get mine as I'd rather have the borg bridge officer than the TR-116 ground rifle from game, but I'll still wait and see what the 'special' CE is like :)

We deliver you content in a bunch of different ways. You can always contact Starfleet through a button that?s always on your UI. Starfleet will always give you a list of things that you can do to make sure that you always have some sort of directive game play. You don?t ever run into a time when you won?t know what to do and just go kill mobs.

That being said, just travelling through the universe you?re going to get hails from Starfleet telling you that there?s a problem. You?re going to get distress calls. Maybe you?re going into a system for exploration content and you don?t actually get the mission until you?re in the system and you see what?s going on. So in terms of getting your missions and quests, they come to you in all sorts of different ways throughout the game.

Great idea, no need to travel to NPCs and ask for quests/missions.

EU/UK Pre-Orders FAIL!

There's a lot of people complaining on the STO forum that pre-orders from HMV and Amazon are not coming with the bonus items reference on www.startrekonline.com/retail A few people have contacted HMV and Amazon, including myself, trying to get a straight answer. Both retailers state, atm, that there are no bonus items and anything display on other websites can not be taken for granted.

Although it could be a simple case of the retailers not having the correct details, Direct2Drive.co.uk have displayed there offering correctly, but at twice the price of HMV and Amazon.

Here's the boxed contents of this product so you can check the offer - these are directly from the publisher, and will be posted in the product description on the detail page. Other retailers may have slightly varying names for the product as per above, but the below box contents should be the best point of comparison. Hope this helps.

- Exclusive `Gold Edition' Packaging

- Star Trek Online T-Shirt

- Map of the Universe

- 5 Postcards

- In game DLC uniform

- 30-days time

This is what is included in the box for Amazon, its not a pre-order bonus. Its likely to be the same for all UK retailers as Amazon stated that there where 2 versions, but not just 1.

They've added the uniform DLC to that then as in the initial pre-orders that I was looking at, that wasn't mentioned so thats interesting, do they expand on what uniform it is, as I know somewhere has the 'TOS' uniforms, and others the TNG/DS9 (and VOY) uniforms depending on the shop/retailer for download.

Thanks for the info Pabs, I've just pre-ordered with Amazon, probably should have done a little while ago as it's gone up in price now, but nevermind, I'll be cancelling my pre-order with game.

However, it's good to mention if you do buy several copies of the game, the 30 day play time and the extra's you get (in game) all stack, so you could in theory buy every version of STO (except the 30 days only stacks at max of 90 days ;))

Stupid, if these real uniforms are pre-orders only they can piddle off, i dont want to be running about in some futuristic looking non-canon startrek uniform if the only way to get it is pre-order.

Stupid, if these real uniforms are pre-orders only they can piddle off, i dont want to be running about in some futuristic looking non-canon startrek uniform if the only way to get it is pre-order.

STO is considered canon, I have said this before and won't say it again :sleep:

They aren't just going to give 'older' uniforms away, it's set years after Nemesis, uniform is bound to have changed in the future (and they look quite nice actually) but you just seem to expect them to throw everything at you for free.

I dont care if they call it canon or not, i havent seen the future uniform in any version of startrek, even in the time travel episodes the uniform stays the same with slight and i do mean slight variations of colour with a different commbadge.

I dont expect them to throw everything at me for free get off your high horse, i expect the game to appease the trekkies/trekkers by making available stuff from the TV shows without having to force people into buying the game before they can even play it just to get a uniform where the assets are already on the disc and you are just getting a code to unlock it.