what didnt you like about it ?

what 1 person would consider bad, some may like

Awful game, i got a closed beta key, it takes the worst of every MMO and puts it all in one crap covered package.

here is the image with the loadouts / BO's.

also i read that the klingon Vo'Quv has 2 Birds of Prey it can deploy and classified as a Carrier

stoshiptierchart.png

I got in the Beta through File Planet, not sure why I even bothered as I am not an MMO guy at all, but something intrigued me. I am not a Trekker by any means (or Trekkie, whatever the non offensive term is) but I don't know, something is making me say check it out. And the fact it was just a matter of clicking on a link and getting in the Beta did not hurt. So we will see. Part of me is thinking give me key to someone who would really be into it, but part of me is thinking check it out.

Larry, I am not a trekkie either, and I used to not be a MMO'er myself really until WOW, but now I want to play them all the time lol.

I do like this game though, the space combat is awesome.. Although, one thing I must say is, I don't know how bad Champions Online is as far as stability and fixing issues and such, but this game is horribly bugged and problematic. I mean sure you can say its in beta, but tonight is OPEN beta, and the game releases in 2 1/2 weeks and we still have a TON of issues. I mean they can't even keep the servers up much less fix actual game play issues that have been in the game since we started Closed beta 2 months ago. Servers are down now for an emergency maint and 200meg patch, and will be down for 2 hours..

I guess I am just upset because after finding out that Star Wars isn't coming out till 2011, I was really going to put out the money to play this one until then, but I am REALLY reluctant now

Last night was frustrating but I expected it being the first day of open beta, but some issues arose that were abolsutely fine in closed and thats what it is all about.

I got through the tutorial without any problems in all honesty but then spent near on 2 hours trying to complete the Azura mission, i didn't mind in one way as it just reset the quest and I kept all the loot and experience ;) but when I finally made it through and moved on to the patrol missions...omg...couldnt get into zones and when I did even though I wasn't partied I was facing ships increased in power because the system assumed I was in a team...nightmare, and most of my fleet colleagues had the same issue but some had no problems at all which made it even more frustrating!

I'm hoping with the new patch and some work things will stabilize and I'll be able to get on and play and do some proper testing.

they had an emergency patch and maint. last night before I went to bed.. It was so bad, I was getting DC'ed every time I would use a teleporter or beam down to a planet, and then when you try to log in you would get a Map full error. Hopefully this will all be fixed soon.

My buddy is a little upset about the way the game handles instancing. Like for example, we don't know yet how many servers the game will have, or if it will only have 1. So when you log in and want to meet up with your friends or want to trade with someone, you have to ask them what instance they are actually in, or zone # and then go to that same one in order to see them.. Kinda weird for a AAA game. I personally think its a better system, so you don't have 5k people standing around in one area killing your fps and lagging you out, or especially where this game has collision as in if you walk up to another player you bump into them and stop.. So with that in play if there wasn't some sort of zones in play, you would never be able to talk to an NPC to do a quest if a million people are standing around him.

Just got done playing for about an hour, game needs some serious work...

Thinking I might just stick to eve tbh.

Edited by PricklyPoo

As someone that never could get into Eve, what do you prefer in that game that STO doesn't do?

I'm on the fence still. Parts are really fun but it does feel a bit rough around the edges. Even simple things like the 'Continue' button are annoying at best. I'm also fairly disappointed with flight and z-axis issues in general. Need more playtime tonight.

Is there a way to auto-fire based on your bar setting(phaser/torp/both)?

yes there is/will be 1 server with an unlimited number of instances. each instance from what i have seen looks at about 50 each so far from what i have seen ( grouped or ungrouped doesnt matter ).

the map error from what i read was patched last night, aparently the servers were not spawning new instances like it should

they had an .......some sort of zones in play, you would never be able to talk to an NPC to do a quest if a million people are standing around him.

Right Click the Weapon

literally i have my ship set to Fire at will, Auto fire ( indicated by a blue outline), it will fire at whatever thats inrange atm, even stuff im not targeting ( a target will override that ) Torps i dont think can be set to Auto fire, same with some other things

As someone that never could get into Eve, what do you prefer in that game that STO doesn't do?

I'm on the fence still. Parts are really fun but it does feel a bit rough around the edges. Even simple things like the 'Continue' button are annoying at best. I'm also fairly disappointed with flight and z-axis issues in general. Need more playtime tonight.

Is there a way to auto-fire based on your bar setting(phaser/torp/both)?

Okay I admit I am new to MMO's, but do they generally run so crappy? I have a GTX 285, no slouch of a card, but if I put the game to 1900 x 1080, it is barely playable, and even at lower resolutions it is all skippy and jumpy all over the place. When I launched it initially it defaulted to 1280, so is that really what I need to run it at?

oh wow I didn't about the auto fire.. That's awesome. I get so tired of spamming spacebar!!!

Okay I admit I am new to MMO's, but do they generally run so crappy? I have a GTX 285, no slouch of a card, but if I put the game to 1900 x 1080, it is barely playable, and even at lower resolutions it is all skippy and jumpy all over the place. When I launched it initially it defaulted to 1280, so is that really what I need to run it at?

It's not just you. This game is a HORRIBLE resource hog... It kills my buddies and my machine and we both have some pretty nice gaming systems...

I run mine at 1680 and when I first zoned into the starting area it was choppy as hell, but once I got done with the noobie zone and actually got on my ship, the game started running smoothly..

It has a auto set graphics feature that works as you play.

MMOs will always have more overhead, thats why they will never look as good as a recent FPS. That said, it does chug quite a bit for the level of detail it puts out. Still beta though, hopefully it will get optimized. I still need to update to the latest CATs as well.

Thanks for the tip. So who has teh NeoFleet started?

I really only wanted to play STO for the ship combat...The ships and weapons are extremely limited, doesn't seem to be much depth to anything, I hate having classes that determine my future abilities vs specialized players, most everyone just picks classes that will work best at killing other people... The game runs like ****, needs another 6 months of work imo, there isn't any polish whatsoever, seems like a half finished game. Everything is just very limited and simple, can't really see myself getting into it... STO reminds me of a very PvE based game, where eve is based more on pvp and player interactions, owning your own stations / structures, etc. Especially considering eve is one big world, not a whole bunch of instances, STO is somewhat of an rpg, but with a few online elements imo.

I think in time STO will get much better, but right now it's going through its infancy stages.

It's not just you. This game is a HORRIBLE resource hog... It kills my buddies and my machine and we both have some pretty nice gaming systems...

I run mine at 1680 and when I first zoned into the starting area it was choppy as hell, but once I got done with the noobie zone and actually got on my ship, the game started running smoothly..

It has a auto set graphics feature that works as you play.

Okay thanks for the response. (Y)

And I should clarify, it is not like I never installed an MMO, I was actually in the WoW Beta somehow, I think back when I paid for Fileplanet, so it is not like I am compeltely foreign to them, and I do recall that being a little choppy, but with this game it was like a player takes a step, freezes, then 2 seconds later they are like 5 feet further.

I will keep on plugging on and see if it gets any better, but I am already at the point I feel like I should have given my Beta key away to someone who really would enjoy it. I did read your comment earlier about how you were never an MMO player and they eventually grew on you, but seriously I am just not an MMO person. I just know for one I cannot commit the time it takes to really get the most out of it, but even if I could I have always had a saying "if the game does not have an ending I do not play it." I personally like closure so I can move on to the next game. Also I had a friend lose a lot of years to Everquest, in a way it still has affected him to this very day, so I just also have something against them. :laugh:

i run a i7, 6GB DDR3 Tripple Chanel, 2x GTX 280 in SLI 1920x1080 max everything

choppy as crap on the ground, smooth as ever inspace ( except in the DeepSpace wave/wave/wave fight where 3 of the huge battlecrusers blew up in my face at once from everybody pounding on them, i droped about 25% hull damage from the blast alone )

My buddy is a little upset about the way the game handles instancing. Like for example, <snip>

This is the same way it's done in Aion, and TBH, I prefer it that way.

Far better than 50 people grinding/fishing/mining the same stuff you want and can't get it. Switch to another zone and bingo, off you go.

Never a hassle to find what zone others are in, and seconds to change it.

Too bad I can't even get into STO, just "map full"s me every time. Guess I won't be buying this one!

See I agree with you Raa. I actually like this way better as I said in my post earlier

As far as the map full problem, that was supposedly patched and fixed late last night, have you tried this evening?

yeah I just got the patch notes here

HOT ISSUES

* Map Is Full issue. There is a strain on auto-grouping such that many players across instances are trying to access the same mission at the same time. By the time your client connected to the instance, it was full (all mission maps are 5 man) and it would kick you out to pick another map screen. Trouble was you'd pick one and then that one would be full too. We have put in a hopeful fix for this. If you do see the list of maps - select a map with the least number of players on it, or turn off open grouping in the social menu.

* Server load is causing some map transfers to fail to load all character data ending up with ships on ground maps or characters in space. Logging out and back in should fix this.

It just doesn't seem to be what I was hoping for. It seems to be the same engine as Champions Online with Trek graphics and none of the issues addressed. I was so hoping for an open-ended explore-and-fight Star Trek, not another mission-based MMO. :(