Photo

[definitive] Best Android Apps

192 replies to this topic

#16 Krpano

Krpano

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:59

SweetDreams

The big winner in the second Android Developers Challenge (ADC2), SweetDreams, is now available for download. Designed to allow its users to go to bed without worrying about getting calls in the middle of the night, SweetDreams, packs a ton of options into a relatively small (2MB) app.

Tell SweetDreams what time you go to bed and when you typically wake up and the rest is downhill. Customization features include toggling WiFi, Bluetooth, turning off the screen, notifications, and more. Not only does this work based on your preset time, but location also plays into SweetDreams. Users can also set specific spots on the map for when they want the app to be activated. Another cool feature is the ability to adjust motion and sound settings. Want your phone to wake up as soon as you grab it off the night stand? Presto! Likewise, you can also have your phone woken up by the alarm clock or rooster outside.

qrcode.png

#17 MrA

MrA

b47d2b5288e3c77

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:48

Replica Island - Great game, feels polished unlike almost every other Android app I've used (exceptions being Facebook and the Clock on the N1). If only it didn't keep crashing on my phone.

#18 Krpano

Krpano

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 May 2010 - 17:24

Ok, this is a MUST have application.

CallTrack

CallTrack logs your phone activity to your Google Calendar. You can select the type of calls to log (incoming, outgoing, and missed) and the calendar to log them in.
You can also dump your current call log to your calendar.

chart.png

One note: before you should create another separate calendar just for the logs, otherwise it will become a mess.

#19 SaltLife

SaltLife

Neowinian

Posted 05 May 2010 - 18:31

I've pretty much stuck with the same apps.
I'll try things now and again, but these I must have each time I reload my phone.

Free Apps:

Entertainment:
Pandora
iHeartRadio
tv.COM
E! (Gotta love the gossip)

Games:
Frozen Bubble
Robo Defense (Both free and Paid)

Utilities:
Astro (File Manager, a must have)
Google Voice
Astrid (Task Management Software)
Wifi Tether (Requires Root)
Home++ (This is a beta product so it's free for now. It's rather decent something unlike the other home replacements)

Paid

Utilities:
GDE (Home replacement)

Games:
Robo Defense

#20 skyrocket

skyrocket

SKYROCKET.

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 17 May 2010 - 20:25

Wireless Tether for root users is probably the best application ever - gives my iPad internet. :D

#21 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2010 - 21:09

SweetDreams
qrcode.png

I am using Timeriffic instead.

Posted Image

#22 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:32

Just found SMS Backup (Y)

#23 acnpt

acnpt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 May 2010 - 13:08

Are there any radio apps similar to Wunder radio?

Can't find iheartradio on the market :pinch:

#24 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 20 May 2010 - 16:49

KeyRing - No more carrying around a wallet of membership cards. Use this app to scan your cards and have them all on your phone.

Also, to all who are using some sort of "Task Killer", stop. All it does is run in the background and kill your battery faster. The android system is not like windows, and killing programs just for "space" is not the smartest option, and can leave your android system not working properly. With 2.1 update, they included in settings now, at least on my HTC Hero, a option/program called Running Services, which lets you see which services are running, and to close them out if you would like. There are certain services though that rely on each other, and closing 1 service out could make multiple programs not work. Remember, Android is based off of Linux.

As for free games, I have just gotten into 2 which are great.
Project INF - free multiplayer online game. Create a character, tap the screen to move and shoot, build up levels and play capture the flag against up to 36 other players.
Super KO Boxing - like punch out for your phone.

For other apps, I use:
Wifi Buddy- finds wifi around and auto connects if it can.
apps organizer- create folders for all your apps easily, with nice icons to go on desktop.
Google Goggles - like barcode scanner, but instead of a barcode, you take a picture of said item.
Scanner Radio- Lets you listen to police and emergency scanners around your area or others.
Speed Test- Test the connection of your wireless signal.

If you have kids and sometimes let them be entertained by your phone
Toddler Lock- locks the screen but makes it draw and puts images when a button is pressed
Shark - Game - a game of chance, press the sharks tooth, which one will make him bite!?
Throw a Panda - good mini game that a kid will like.

I Wish these phones came with a IR sensor/transmitter, then we could control our TV's and such with ease.

#25 crazzy88ss

crazzy88ss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:19

KeyRing - No more carrying around a wallet of membership cards. Use this app to scan your cards and have them all on your phone.

Also, to all who are using some sort of "Task Killer", stop. All it does is run in the background and kill your battery faster. The android system is not like windows, and killing programs just for "space" is not the smartest option, and can leave your android system not working properly. With 2.1 update, they included in settings now, at least on my HTC Hero, a option/program called Running Services, which lets you see which services are running, and to close them out if you would like. There are certain services though that rely on each other, and closing 1 service out could make multiple programs not work. Remember, Android is based off of Linux.

As for free games, I have just gotten into 2 which are great.
Project INF - free multiplayer online game. Create a character, tap the screen to move and shoot, build up levels and play capture the flag against up to 36 other players.
Super KO Boxing - like punch out for your phone.

For other apps, I use:
Wifi Buddy- finds wifi around and auto connects if it can.
apps organizer- create folders for all your apps easily, with nice icons to go on desktop.
Google Goggles - like barcode scanner, but instead of a barcode, you take a picture of said item.
Scanner Radio- Lets you listen to police and emergency scanners around your area or others.
Speed Test- Test the connection of your wireless signal.
J
If you have kids and sometimes let them be entertained by your phone
Toddler Lock- locks the screen but makes it draw and puts images when a button is pressed
Shark - Game - a game of chance, press the sharks tooth, which one will make him bite!?
Throw a Panda - good mini game that a kid will like.

I Wish these phones came with a IR sensor/transmitter, then we could control our TV's and such with ease.

The task killer kills itself too, I thought.

Anyway I've only had my Moment a week. Can somebody explain what it means to root your phone.

#26 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 24 June 2010 - 15:10

The task killer kills itself too, I thought.

Anyway I've only had my Moment a week. Can somebody explain what it means to root your phone.

Look at it this way. The Moment you have can be seen as like a Dell PC. Full of bloatware and with restrictions. Rooting resets your phone, but to more of like a self built pc. You basically set it up as you would like, without any pre-installed software and without any real limitations to what you can do to the OS, depending on the ROM you get.
Putting a custom rom on your phone can be a great thing, but can also hurt it depending on your service, where you live, and the device being rooted. Most root versions require you to get a "radio" which is basically what picks up your cell signal. Some of these roots do not have very good "radio" software and can leave you with less than desirable sound quality during calls. Others may not let you use bluetooth properly, while others work just fine and even give you the ability to OverClock your phone.

I'm still a little too worried and into my new Hero to want to try any custom roms, and am quite pleased with sense ui and launcher pro.

--------- Task killers do kill themselves sometimes, sometimes they don't. What is the problem is not it killing itself or not, but the other programs it kills which impact many other programs from running properly. Disabling 1 service can lead to many other things not working.

#27 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2010 - 15:15

Sounds like a fantastic app, thanks for the heads up.

Me and you both mate.

#28 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2010 - 15:19

Dunno if its already been said but Endomondo is a decent app for fitness and weight loss it uses GPS to track your workouts using google maps and displays all sorts of information,

#29 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 24 June 2010 - 15:19

Sounds like a fantastic app, thanks for the heads up.

Me and you both mate.

KeyRing is probably the most used app I have. Blockbuster, CVS , Autozone, and even Bestbuy. Just scan your card and when your at the counter show them your phone lol. I've had 1 store not be able to scan the code on my phone, but they were able to type in the digits.

#30 Bag

Bag

I press buttons to make the pattern of light correct.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 15:39

Home Screen

QuickDesk - Set as your main launcher it will work in combination with your launcher of choice, adding the option to double click the home button and bring up a second homescreen like window on top of your running apps (Put your control widget on it and its great for turning wifi/bluetooth whatever else on and off without leaving your current app)
Adw.Launcher - You can run up to 8*8 icons, widgets are re-sizable, its fast, its stable, its very customizable - By far the best home screen out there
Folder Organizer lite - Kinda like better cut, but with more options and doesn't mess up your icons. Great for renaming or changing the icon's on your apps :)

Utilitys

TaskPanel - Nice easy to use task manager for android, easily kill apps when needed.
MultiTask - Lets you easily switch between running applictions - can be added to long press of search button
Stats - Tracks your Calltime, texts and data against your monthly allowances
3g Watchdog - same as above but for data and keeps it in your ongoing panel
Battery Time Lite - Adds an icon with battery shown as a %
AndroidVNC - nice vnc client, works well with tight vnc

Useful stuff

HandCent - Great text messaging app
Ebuddy - Nice app that allows you to log in to msn, facebook, myspace, yahoo and many more messengers
Tube - Provides a route planner and map of the underground without the need for data, meaning you can check your routes while underground.
BUMP - Transfer apps, contacts and many other things by just bumping your phone with another - Also works android to iphone :)

Is my quick list for now.