[definitive] Best Android Apps

Yes, I know that when you install an app it lists all the permissions that it requests. But your average user doesn't read that at all. And just whacks install. Google need to come up with a UAC idea like feature for android.

That would be terrible. The average user just blindly clicks yes because during the install process, they're thinking entirely of what the app will be like when it finishes installing, not about the actual process itself, so they will say yes to anything as long as it means they get to the app. If you try and force it on them with multiple dialogs, they'll get ****ed off and say that the process is dumb and its too much trouble to install a simple app. it's going to take more than a UAC process, google needs to effing let go fo their "everything allowed" app store poliicies and at least do a quarter of the security checking that the Apple app store does. Not the censorship, just the code-checking.

By the way, I have a Sprint Hero and I absolutely adore it, but I think the Marketplace is woefully pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any full screen 4x4(or 4x5 though I can scale to that myself with ADW) RSS widgets that shows news from several sources in the order they where posted ? i.e. mixed, but chronologically ?

What's Sept 4th? Oh and I was using Where's My Droid for awhile, but it's not supported anymore plus Lookout does an awesome job finding your phone, same way as Where's My Droid, but you just go to mylookout.com and sign in.

Phone: HTC Desire

76 total, 72 free (94%), 4 paid (5%), 104MB total size, $22.00 total price

View this app list on AppBrain

• 1 month later...

Key apps I always install on my droid (as I am always putting new roms on, I have certain apps that always get reinstalled):

Handcent

Groupon

Maps

Wireless Tether

Pandora Radio

Beautiful Widgets

Launcher Pro

STILL looking for a good program for Internet radio streaming. Buddy on his iphone uses OOTunes and really enjoys it.

• 1 month later...

To everyone mentioning Task killers and task managers, IMO they do more harm than good . And even if they do not cause problems, they are not really needed with Froyo.

App: Launcher Pro Plus http://www.appbrain.com/app/launcherpro/com.fede.launcher

App: Camera Zoom FX http://www.appbrain.com/app/camera-zoom-fx/slide.cameraZoom

Game: Guns'n'Glory: http://www.appbrain.com/app/gunsnglory/com.hg.gunsandglory

To everyone mentioning Task killers and task managers, IMO they do more harm than good . And even if they do not cause problems, they are not really needed with Froyo.

Please explain.

Source?!

Couldn't agree more. I actually had much shorter battery life with a task killer set to kill some apps I rarely use (and ignore apps that were system processes or always had to be running). If you use a task killer for better battery life on Froyo you either A) Did what you read without researching it or B) Have an app that drains battery life which your task killer stops for you instead of managing it yourself and finding a replacement app.

I have a Droid X and, while I don't use it too often, a normal day consists of emails all day (only 1 or 2 emails every few hours, but this also consists of writing/sending a few emails a day as well), ~20 texts total (both ways), and a 20 minute phone call. I take it off the charger at 8 AM, and put it on the charger at 11 PM (15 hours off the charger) and usually have 90% battery life left when it goes back on the charger. If I browse the internet for a little or play a few games, I have typically 80% left over the same time. Compared to the battery life everyone is describing for the X, especially those using task killers, my battery life is easily double what theres is.

When I did try a task killer though, I noticed my battery easily draining twice as fast, even on the task killers minimum settings. The only reason anyone on Froyo should have a task killer is in case they get an app that won't close and has high CPU usage and what not. Then they should only be using it to kill that task, and uninstall the app.

Not to mention, it takes more battery life to constantly close and reopen an app that you need than it does to store that app idle in the ram.

You know what's funny? I've never used a Task Manager, I know a few people that do and they say they work and are great. But then you have a whole bunch of people on the other side, even Reps that say TK's are bad and not needed. Okay.

On my Vibrant with the JI6 update, what does Samsung do, install a task manger! Which found later, actually is one of many causes of battery drain. They're not needed. You can easily go into the Running Services and kill processes without causing issues (unless you kill the wrong one).

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I used the build in one with my Vibrant ONLY if I need to kill a specific app. Other than that, I just let hte phone do its thing.

STILL looking for a good program for Internet radio streaming. Buddy on his iphone uses OOTunes and really enjoys it.

I know this is late, but I use a program called Tunein to stream radio. Works pretty good and it is free.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I used the build in one with my Vibrant ONLY if I need to kill a specific app. Other than that, I just let hte phone do its thing.

I know this is late, but I use a program called Tunein to stream radio. Works pretty good and it is free.

As an epic user which is running Eclair-> 2.1 the task killed is absolutely necessary. The phone will get down to 50MB ram and start to feel real sluggish. I know that the argument is that the more apps data you have in ram the faster the phone will be but this is only true if the app data that is loaded is the app data you need to use. Therefore task killers are good for people who use many different apps.

Got a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and never saw this thread. Thanks everybody it's very helpful :)

The only problem is my phone keeps randomly shutting down every day

In Canada, tethering is included for free.

Unfortunately our wireless plans are ridiculously expensive compared to most countries in the world.

Just seems weird to be seeing people write that lol... sucks for you guys tho.. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Key apps I always install on my droid (as I am always putting new roms on, I have certain apps that always get reinstalled):

Handcent

Groupon

Maps

Wireless Tether

Pandora Radio

Beautiful Widgets

Launcher Pro

Have you tried xiia? I used to use ootunes and loved it but xiia is good enough for me now.

Are there any free tethering apps, which don't require root?

Theres easytether and pdanet, just search on the market. There both free but you have to pay for https support. no root required for eather.

My apps on Desire

abandonedtrolley's Apps on the HTC Desire

Phone: HTC Desire

35 total, 33 free (94%), 2 paid (5%), 73MB total size, $5.76 total price

- Handcent SMS

- Slice It! ?

- eBuddy Messenger

- Dropbox

- Smooth Calendar

- Street View on Google Maps

- Wifi Analyzer

- Wordfeud

- Calorie Counter - MyFitnessPal

- Folder Organizer lite

- IMDb Movies & TV

- ShootMe (Screen Grabber)

- YouTube

- Official eBay Android App

- Winamp

- LauncherPro

- Flash Player 10.1

- Facebook for Android

- WhatsApp Messenger

- XDA-Developers

- Hide It Pro

- Foursquare

- Mini File Manager

- Game Dev Story

- Google Maps

- Chess Free

- Zedge Ringtones & Wallpapers

- Last.fm

- Sanity

- AppBrain App Market

- Angry Birds

- Gmail

- Google Search

- Zeam Launcher

View this app list on AppBrain: http://www.appbrain.com/user/abandonedtrolley/apps-on-the-htc-desire

• 1 month later...

So I am thinking of getting some applications for my Samsung Galaxy S.

Anyone have any recommendations for some good IRC clients?

Also wondering if the NESoid and SNESoid apps are any good and worth £5. Also the GBA emulator. Or any good alternatives to these.

So I am thinking of getting some applications for my Samsung Galaxy S.

Anyone have any recommendations for some good IRC clients?

Also wondering if the NESoid and SNESoid apps are any good and worth £5. Also the GBA emulator. Or any good alternatives to these.

Haven't tried NESoid, but I prefer TigerSNES over SNESoid personally, and it is free.

I did buy GameBoid for GBC/GBA which I have gotten plenty of fun out of.

I'm pretty sure there is a TigerNes, which is probably not that much different from TigerSNES.

Also, if you are into playstation games (and your phone is rooted, as I tried to purchase FPSe off the market but it just would not let me, so I just grabbed the apk from 4shared) try FPSe, and not PSX4Droid. I bought PSX4Droid and was immensely upset, sadly the free version is better, and that is not saying much, and there was no refund either, stay away from it.

been playing it as well, seems sometimes the left joystick gets stuck for a few seconds. game has been hard so far.

the only bug i've encountered is the god-mode bug, where you become invincible for some reason and the only way to end the game is to quit/surrender, i'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature. ;)