[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

I'm impressed, Neowin gets a design update fairly frequently these days.

Here's a sugestion though: I like the bars that the poll has, looks alot nicer and smoother but how about a bit of colour in the mix? You could have the winning entry a green, next yellow, orange & red or a similar spectrum like that.

I don't understand everyone's comments about the font. It's the exact same font we're using on the site at the moment, and there have been no complaints about that.

Neither do I.

How many pixels is "a bit?" Very, very few people have a screen your size and as I say, the width of the front page is currently perfect for me. If the developers made it much wider, it would be annoying for me to use.

True you are but even a 24" screen is merely 300 euros nowadays and even on that it must be extremely small - I prefer to have the wide version, that's a matter of opinion of course. Naturally a fluid dynamic webpage would be even better - that way everyone would win, too bad it's so hard to implement.

I don't understand everyone's comments about the font. It's the exact same font we're using on the site at the moment, and there have been no complaints about that.

That's what I've been trying to figure out :laugh:

[...] Here's a sugestion though: I like the bars that the poll has, looks alot nicer and smoother but how about a bit of colour in the mix? You could have the winning entry a green, next yellow, orange & red or a similar spectrum like that. [...]

I like the idea of the bar for the winning option being green, but I don't know how I feel about the other bars being multiple colours. So yes, another suggestion from me to the devs - how about the bar for the winning poll option becomes green? :happy:

Dave was confused a bit about the font, but we'll look into the issue there is still time to change things.

It was supposed to be Arial, but after a "staff fight" its set at Tahoma in that screenshot.

We use Verdana on the site now, and Tahoma for the navigation bar.

I think the font looks fine dave, perhaps some tweaking in size in a few areas, other than that, it looks fine.

example.jpg

Used the refined and better logo from the link in the first page of this thread, and changed the brightness of the menu links bg colour and brought it up 50% brightness so its easier to see.

Now I think its more visually pleasing! Other then that, its great :)

*edit, the other pic died from earlier in this thread, so uploaded to my bucket so it stays here :p

So far, I like the layout, but not the colors. It's a lot more bland now, and even as a guy, I find this to be a bit TOO boring. Finity is currently in your face, without being overwhelming; a beautiful arrangement of gradients that I personally find enjoyable. I also do not really care for the tab menus at the top. Too tall, weird on the corners, and, to me at least, I feel the current tab color with the line going under the site logo seems to not blend so well.

Now, my to my other concern: the Latest Community Activity portion has the blandest of the colors displayed. It's just so dry, like the gradient behind the tabs for instance. Also, the font for the topics seems a bit large. Either that or the font used just isn't fitting well. Poll could use darker colors for the bars maybe.

As for the main portion, everything from the Zune image and down appears fine to me, including the tabs shown there. Really feel you guys did great there. (Y)

Hope my feedback has been useful. I can't help but ask though, will Finity still be an option for the main page or will it be removed?

I can't help but ask though, will Finity still be an option for the main page or will it be removed?

Nope. Atlas comes with a totally new backend (Ignition), which isn't compatible with Finity.

there is not a public beta at this point

Steven was thinking about it, and in a earlier post said that subscribers could test it, but looks like he changed his mind as it is not available for us in the theme options.

He did mention sometime in October tho! (For Subscribers - not sure if its Subscribers tier 2, or if tier 1 is included as well)

Either way, come the end of October, some of us will be enjoying it in beta form :)

Steven was thinking about it, and in a earlier post said that subscribers could test it, but looks like he changed his mind as it is not available for us in the theme options.

He did mention sometime in October tho! (For Subscribers - not sure if its Subscribers tier 2, or if tier 1 is included as well)

Either way, come the end of October, some of us will be enjoying it in beta form :)

I don't remember him saying that :p Hopefully by the end of October, everyone will be enjoying it in released form :p

He probably didn't, but he should have. :p

ha! Yeah, Ive given my suggestions for certain things but I am out of the devlopment side loop (trust me, you dont want me to code a thing for this site) but I dont remeber hearing about a preview for anyone other than some staff memebers. It will be here soon and will be awsome, the devs have been working hard thats for sure!

Me like. Will the forum section also get the updated design/color schemes or just the main page with new navigation menus at the top for all the other sections? The main page and the forum is really the only two places I ever visit.

We have been working on a new backend and theme for quite some time now, as you'll see it is almost completed but comes with drastic changes.

post-2-1252319596_thumb.png

The "Zune promo" image below the leaderboard ad is one of 2 promo images that slide in and out and Dave has worked his socks off making the news page completely custom in such a way that a reader can select different filters to display their news of choice. for example (if I remember correctly) www.neowin.net/news/microsoft/windows7 would be a valid filter link which would only display news relating to Windows 7.

I'm sure Dave can add some important points to this topic, but for now I have had clearance (for some time now) to post this preview image so we can get some feedback.

I like it, clean.

btw:

I see 5 triangles, so i am smart or stupid?

Really digging the new design and can't wait to start testing, then i can give some real feedback!

Bored? :p

There's an ad in yellow on the top asking me to test my intelligence on the screenshot, thought i'd give it a go?:rofl::

It's starting to look bulky and plastic-y like a bad Windowblinds skin. I think the current theme is pretty damn slick and will be sad to see it go.