PS3 Media Server Thumbnail Generator

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 19 October 2009 - 19:43

Boz any more updates on the way?

I'd still love for this to be an application some day as well :)

Also is there any potential for future improvements on the quality of the transformation of image to cover? Sometimes it can look a little rough, where as if you transform in say Photoshop, it looks smoother.

Lastly dimensions are working on a slider based system just now that can be a bit fiddly, do you think you could make it as simple as dragging with mouse pointer? I know the mouse moves the image just now, maybe have a tick box to toggle between moving the image, and resizing it? Dunno, that might be even more fiddly than sliders...

(Y)

#47 OP Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 December 2009 - 21:22

Hi guys.. just wanted to give you an update..

Over the course of holidays I will be redoing a lot of stuff..

Here is what the new application will have.

1. It will not be limited only to PS3MS but it will of course have the option for generating for it too
2. Community and your movie libraries (yes, the application will expand to a full blown site)
3. You will be able to share your movie libraries in numerous ways
4. As you enter your full library (there will be support for Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, MP3s, CDs etc) you will be able to check default appearance for your movie covers and it will offer you automatically to generate files for you.
5. Less manual adjustments and support for numerous APIs about movies, games etc including covers, reviews, trailers etc. The reason for this is that I want to create a very engaging way to showcase your movie collections online and eventually allow you to access these collections through iphone apps and other mobile devices.
6. Will try to add support to generate covers for XMBC and Windows Media Center as well based on some great ideas I've seen in other apps.

All of it will remain fully free and with very few ads cause I'm struggling to pay for the bandwidth costs now generating images and so on. The ads won't be annoying but simple amazon associates text ones completely unintrusive. I'll also put the donate button so anyone who feels this is awesome for them can send a few bucks. I am using numerous services and due to thousands and thousands of covers generated with the app my costs are rising sharply. Some of these have to go through my server as proxies as some APIs require me to proxy through my server If you do mind minor advertising I guess I can just leave donate button but it will be tricky for me financially to cover all costs in regards to this so I'll have to find another way. Just thinking about how this thing can stay alive and online pretty much forever.

It will be a great time now to give me suggestions on what you want to see implemented as an ultimate online library for your movies/games/music with the cover generation and all the info you want (I'll add A LOT of templates and variations too). I've read some of the suggestions for covers and I will make sure all of them are implemented but if you have anything else on your mind feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

#48 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 21 December 2009 - 21:28

Hi guys.. just wanted to give you an update..

Over the course of holidays I will be redoing a lot of stuff..

Here is what the new application will have.

1. It will not be limited only to PS3MS but it will of course have the option for generating for it too
2. Community and your movie libraries (yes, the application will expand to a full blown site)
3. You will be able to share your movie libraries in numerous ways
4. As you enter your full library (there will be support for Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, MP3s, CDs etc) you will be able to check default appearance for your movie covers and it will offer you automatically to generate files for you.
5. Less manual adjustments and support for numerous APIs about movies, games etc including covers, reviews, trailers etc. The reason for this is that I want to create a very engaging way to showcase your movie collections online and eventually allow you to access these collections through iphone apps and other mobile devices.
6. Will try to add support to generate covers for XMBC and Windows Media Center as well based on some great ideas I've seen in other apps.

All of it will remain fully free and with very few ads cause I'm struggling to pay for the bandwidth costs now generating images and so on. The ads won't be annoying but simple amazon associates text ones completely unintrusive. I'll also put the donate button so anyone who feels this is awesome for them can send a few bucks. I am using numerous services and due to thousands and thousands of covers generated with the app my costs are rising sharply. Some of these have to go through my server as proxies as some APIs require me to proxy through my server If you do mind minor advertising I guess I can just leave donate button but it will be tricky for me financially to cover all costs in regards to this so I'll have to find another way. Just thinking about how this thing can stay alive and online pretty much forever.

It will be a great time now to give me suggestions on what you want to see implemented as an ultimate online library for your movies/games/music with the cover generation and all the info you want (I'll add A LOT of templates and variations too). I've read some of the suggestions for covers and I will make sure all of them are implemented but if you have anything else on your mind feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

Honestly Boz you don't need to justify to people that you are having to put ads on your own site to cover costs. I think most people will accept that, only ad's that annoy people are generally popup and ones with sound :)

Great app and certainly look forward to seeing the new revision.

#49 .KICK

.KICK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 December 2009 - 21:30

Only just noticed this, looks very nice (Y)

#50 Jimmy0

Jimmy0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 December 2009 - 21:31

Sounds amazing Boz, and like AT said, you don't need to justify the ads to us!

#51 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 December 2009 - 13:41

All of it will remain fully free and with very few ads cause I'm struggling to pay for the bandwidth costs now generating images and so on.

What kind of bandwidth are you looking at?

#52 josearaujovfx

josearaujovfx

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 09 January 2010 - 19:43

Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded my ps3's 80GB hard drive to 500GB hard drive, the reason of me doing this is because i want to have all my videos and movies stream straight from the ps3 hard drive, i do not like media servers due to my slow internet connection so i rather keep it this way.
Does this Thumbnail Generator work with my current setting?
I do not want to create folders, i want each movie file with the thumbnail, i wish ps3 created a more appropriate media center look and feel like apple tv since i believe the ps3 is such a wonderful console and it kills anything out there, hehehehe.
I will truly appreciate any help because i have no idea how to make the thumbnails work, i tried everything and nothing.

Thank You

#53 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 09 January 2010 - 19:51

Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded my ps3's 80GB hard drive to 500GB hard drive, the reason of me doing this is because i want to have all my videos and movies stream straight from the ps3 hard drive, i do not like media servers due to my slow internet connection so i rather keep it this way.
Does this Thumbnail Generator work with my current setting?
I do not want to create folders, i want each movie file with the thumbnail, i wish ps3 created a more appropriate media center look and feel like apple tv since i believe the ps3 is such a wonderful console and it kills anything out there, hehehehe.
I will truly appreciate any help because i have no idea how to make the thumbnails work, i tried everything and nothing.

Thank You

Sadly no these will not work with the standard PS3 XMB media view. These can only be seen when used in conjunctin with the PS3 Media Servr. I like you wish that it was possible, sadly the best you can do is manually create the thumnails a bit further into the film so that they don't all just look like the opening of a movie.

#54 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:48

i do not like media servers due to my slow internet connection

Your internet connection has nothing to do with a media server on your LAN. You could have no internet at all and still use a media server.

#55 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:00

Thats some great work, dont own a PS3 but still like the look of this!

#56 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2010 - 20:33

Looks nice. Will try it.

#57 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 January 2010 - 16:46

It might be just me but the Thumbnail Generator is broken, instead of saving it wants to open a file? :(

#58 Joel

Joel

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 January 2010 - 17:15

It might be just me but the Thumbnail Generator is broken, instead of saving it wants to open a file? :(

It's just you. The button that says Save Thumbnail clearly opens a save dialog.

#59 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 24 January 2010 - 17:31

Any updates Boz?

Really looking forward to this new update and don't want to pull the trigger of redoing all my artwork with the old version.

#60 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:28

It's just you. The button that says Save Thumbnail clearly opens a save dialog.

I'm not stupid, I've done this before, but for some reason now it says "select location for download by www.worldinhidef.com"
and I've got Cancel and Open as the options :s