• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 September 2009 - 22:22

:huh: I don't remember this being installed before. Is this something new in iTunes 9?

aas.PNG

Apple is getting crazy with all the crap they install with iTunes these days :s I noticed this after I went back to uninstall Apple Software update which I had deselected during install but it installed anyway... Don't know why they even bother showing that as an option during install.

#2 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

Posted 10 September 2009 - 22:24

If you remove it, iTunes no longer works (learnt the hard way, installed the separate .MSI again for it to work again) :p

Radish™

#3 Udedenkz

Udedenkz

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:45

Bonjour, I remember trying to remove that. So, it is either useless, spyware, bloatware, or a combo.

#4 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:47

Agreed. Winamp + mliPod FTW.

#5 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:51

Bonjour, I remember trying to remove that. So, it is either useless, spyware, bloatware, or a combo.

When did Apple ever release spyware?

#6 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:57

Is bonjour needed for ipod touch as I want to remove it, but unsure whether or not to do so. I will be getting the 64GB next month when my backdated money comes through :)

#7 EchoNoise

EchoNoise

Destron.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:04

Gotta love uninformed people, but also trying to show them something, but don't listen, oh well.

That "Apple Application Support" is for iPod Touch/iPhones where in iTunes 9 you can now arrange your icons, and sync it without actually doing it on the device itself.

No need to uninstall Bonjour, it doesn't hinder performance or anything. Unless your a conspiracy type.

#8 p858snake

p858snake

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:32

Since your too lazy to research something before commenting, I thought you might like to know it's a network service that is a implementation of Zeroconf for detecting devices such as printers and the like.

It it used by iTunes to share the music libraries with other iTunes installs on the network.

More Information: http://en.wikipedia....jour_(software)

#9 clotz2000

clotz2000

Party Like A Rockstar, Sleep's Boring

• Phone: Galaxy SIII

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:48

Is bonjour needed for ipod touch as I want to remove it, but unsure whether or not to do so. I will be getting the 64GB next month when my backdated money comes through :)

I know this is WAAAYYYY OFF-TOPIC, but I have to ask the question sometime. What is the point of having the 360 Avatar signatures if everyone if going to have "Game Privacy" turned on, just to show the GamerScore????

Anyways, I know it's way off-topic and can be deleted by a mod if they wish, I'm just very curious as to why alot of people have them like this now, maybe it's to hide their secret 12hr gaming session playing Mini-Ninjas, :)

And for being on-topic for a change, just leave all of the Apple stuff intact, At work for our VPN to work correctly we usually have to disable the Bonjour service, not uninstall. What the employees don't understand is to quit installing 3rd party software on company laptops, hehe... But sadly we offer the work-around anyways :sigh:

#10 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:11

Thanks for the info clotz ...

[off topic]
first time I noticed my privacy was off, I haven't changed it so have no idea why it is shown that way, maybe a glitch at mygamercard? As just checked and privacy settings are for everyone :(
[/off topic]

#11 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 September 2009 - 14:52

When did Apple ever release spyware?

I would say "Apple Software Update" is a spyware :/ I chose to not install it but it still installs every ****ing time.

Gotta love uninformed people, but also trying to show them something, but don't listen, oh well.

That "Apple Application Support" is for iPod Touch/iPhones where in iTunes 9 you can now arrange your icons, and sync it without actually doing it on the device itself.

No need to uninstall Bonjour, it doesn't hinder performance or anything. Unless your a conspiracy type.

Why do they need to install it out of iTunes though? That's ridiculous.

I also throw out Bonjour. I uninstall everything (I can) if I don't need it. I don't need iTunes sharing and hence it's off.

#12 Northgrove

Northgrove

Philosophizing Developer

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 September 2009 - 14:56

I would say "Apple Software Update" is a spyware :/ I chose to not install it but it still installs every ****ing time.

It's not spyware as it doesn't spy on your activities and phone home in any way.

#13 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

Posted 11 September 2009 - 15:08

Boujour is used for music sharing between computers or an AppleTV on your network.

#14 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 September 2009 - 15:09

It's not spyware as it doesn't spy on your activities and phone home in any way.

Agreed. It's crapware, not spyware.

#15 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 September 2009 - 15:09

It just does background checks when you run certain programs and connects up to Apple servers.

Of course it's spyware, it's just not malicious.