WTF is Apple Application Support?

Question

:huh: I don't remember this being installed before. Is this something new in iTunes 9?

post-62693-1252621274.png

Apple is getting crazy with all the crap they install with iTunes these days :s I noticed this after I went back to uninstall Apple Software update which I had deselected during install but it installed anyway... Don't know why they even bother showing that as an option during install.

If you remove it, iTunes no longer works (learnt the hard way, installed the separate .MSI again for it to work again) :p

Radish?

Is bonjour needed for ipod touch as I want to remove it, but unsure whether or not to do so. I will be getting the 64GB next month when my backdated money comes through :)

Gotta love uninformed people, but also trying to show them something, but don't listen, oh well.

That "Apple Application Support" is for iPod Touch/iPhones where in iTunes 9 you can now arrange your icons, and sync it without actually doing it on the device itself.

No need to uninstall Bonjour, it doesn't hinder performance or anything. Unless your a conspiracy type.

Bonjour, I remember trying to remove that. So, it is either useless, spyware, bloatware, or a combo.

Since your too lazy to research something before commenting, I thought you might like to know it's a network service that is a implementation of Zeroconf for detecting devices such as printers and the like.

It it used by iTunes to share the music libraries with other iTunes installs on the network.

More Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28software%29

Is bonjour needed for ipod touch as I want to remove it, but unsure whether or not to do so. I will be getting the 64GB next month when my backdated money comes through :)

I know this is WAAAYYYY OFF-TOPIC, but I have to ask the question sometime. What is the point of having the 360 Avatar signatures if everyone if going to have "Game Privacy" turned on, just to show the GamerScore????

Anyways, I know it's way off-topic and can be deleted by a mod if they wish, I'm just very curious as to why alot of people have them like this now, maybe it's to hide their secret 12hr gaming session playing Mini-Ninjas, :)

And for being on-topic for a change, just leave all of the Apple stuff intact, At work for our VPN to work correctly we usually have to disable the Bonjour service, not uninstall. What the employees don't understand is to quit installing 3rd party software on company laptops, hehe... But sadly we offer the work-around anyways :sigh:

Thanks for the info clotz ...

[off topic]

first time I noticed my privacy was off, I haven't changed it so have no idea why it is shown that way, maybe a glitch at mygamercard? As just checked and privacy settings are for everyone :(

[/off topic]

When did Apple ever release spyware?

I would say "Apple Software Update" is a spyware :/ I chose to not install it but it still installs every ****ing time.

Gotta love uninformed people, but also trying to show them something, but don't listen, oh well.

That "Apple Application Support" is for iPod Touch/iPhones where in iTunes 9 you can now arrange your icons, and sync it without actually doing it on the device itself.

No need to uninstall Bonjour, it doesn't hinder performance or anything. Unless your a conspiracy type.

Why do they need to install it out of iTunes though? That's ridiculous.

I also throw out Bonjour. I uninstall everything (I can) if I don't need it. I don't need iTunes sharing and hence it's off.

I would say "Apple Software Update" is a spyware :/ I chose to not install it but it still installs every ****ing time.

It's not spyware as it doesn't spy on your activities and phone home in any way.

Boujour is used for music sharing between computers or an AppleTV on your network.

It's not spyware as it doesn't spy on your activities and phone home in any way.

It just does background checks when you run certain programs and connects up to Apple servers.

Of course it's spyware, it's just not malicious.

Oy vey, more crapware that comes bundled with ****unes 9? If it weren't for App Sync that I need for my Touch I usually keep my systems sanitized from Apple's Windows applications as they are absolutely atrocious. Which is inexplicable since the majority of their customers run Windows. It's still unbelievable that Safari is always checked every time software update pops up for iTunes or even QT.

Why do they keep adding new extra programs on every new version of iTunes, its pretty obvious windows users hate all the extra services and crap it runs, but they add more.

Yeah..no ****! They need to make it less bloated. Maybe they do it to drive people to Macs..ugh.

Why do they keep adding new extra programs on every new version of iTunes, its pretty obvious windows users hate all the extra services and crap it runs, but they add more.

they do it to pee us off and because they think we'll use the extra bloat.

Same reason why every Windows version comes with more services, it's called added functionality.

It's still unbelievable that Safari is always checked every time software update pops up for iTunes or even QT.

That only happens if you have previously installed Safari. On a clean Windows7 install it's unchecked by default.

It's because Apple only respects their own standards. Rather than use the standard services Windows provides, they have ported various OS X APIs to Windows. The Apple software runs on top of these, and I'm guessing this "Apple application support" is a refactored component in this environment (so that it's shared between all the Apple programs rather than being included with each of them).

If you don't want to use the service Apple includes with iTunes, then go into "Services" and turn them off. Once you turn them off then forget them. It is just as simple as that; now you don't have to worry about removing something that will shut down or cause you to have to reinstall iTunes. Now enjoy your music. :)

I dunno about Apple Application Support, havn't seen it yet, but you can disable Bonjour in Services.msc

Start > Run > "services.msc"

Look for and right click "Bonjour Service" > Properties > Click on "Stop" if it's available > Change Startup type to "Disabled" or I guess "Manual" if you want.

You won't see "mDNSResponder.exe" anymore in Task Manager. Yippee!

EDIT: Oops too late lol

It's because Apple only respects their own standards. Rather than use the standard services Windows provides, they have ported various OS X APIs to Windows.

So does Windows allow you to open iTunes when an iPod is inserted? Does it support Bonjour? No?

Then what standard services are you talking about?