Exit/Close 'Microsoft Security Essentials' for gaming

Yeah I see no significant differences between when it is on and off to be honest. Plus the fact any difference above 30fps is barely noticeable anyway.

Yes, that's the thing you have to turn off. Though, I don't see any reason why. You will NOT get any higher FPS, the only difference it might make is a split second faster loading, but turning off and on the realtime protection will probably take longer then what you gain by turning it off. Just leave it on all the time.

agreed I leave mine on 100% of the time. No reason to turn it off, I notice no difference in gaming with it on or off

Not for performance reasons but it's nice to have an "Exit" option for AVs for many reasons I don't wish to go into here. Norton doesn't have it either. I know Kaspersky and NOD32 do. What about others? Avast, Avira, AVG, McAfee?

Don't think you can close the GUI, unless you kill it in task manager (msseces.exe) but you can stop the service (which uses most of the memory) by running "net stop MsMpSvc" in an elevated command prompt, when you want to restart it just put "net start MsMpSvc" into an elevated command prompt

Not for performance reasons but it's nice to have an "Exit" option for AVs for many reasons I don't wish to go into here. Norton doesn't have it either. I know Kaspersky and NOD32 do. What about others? Avast, Avira, AVG, McAfee?

yup. Norton 2009 doesnt have "Exit" option it, but atleast it has "Game Mode".

GUI stays in taskbar with red icon :D

had to turn off "Action Center" warning messages.

thanks for the instructions Frank.

btw, used Task Manager to stop "MsMpSvc" service under "Services" tab & then under "Processes" tab, "msseces.exe" -> "End Task".

(Disabled UAC)

1hqqz9.png

No need to restart the service, just open MSE & it'll promt for "restarting" the service,

Yeah I see no significant differences between when it is on and off to be honest. Plus the fact any difference above 30fps is barely noticeable anyway.

I dunno, I've always noticed quite a bit of difference between 30 and 60FPS. Same with the jump from 60 to 100FPS. At least in COD4 and CS 1.6 I notice quite a bit of difference (everything feels smoother/faster to me, and I would be able to differentiate between them if someone changed it).