Windows 7 flashy startup animation increases your boot

Interesting.

I would try it, but my hardware RAID card adds like 10 seconds to my boot so I won't gain much lol. But I only notice it during my once a month or so reboot.

@Neo003

could you make a trace with the WPT (windows Performance Toolkit)?

http://www.msfn.org/board/trace-vista-boot...es-t117154.html

(remove the -noPrepReboot option)

But you have to use the Version 4.6 from WPT, which is now part of the Windows 7 SDK! use the Web installer and select the Win32 Tools to install.

When you finished the trace run the following command:

xperf -i trace.etl -o summary.xml -a boot

to get an xml with a summary of the boot. Replace trace.etl with the name of your etl File.

Now open the xml file and look for duration. So you can find which part of the boot process takes too much time.

Didn't make ANY difference on my laptop. 20 seconds with or without logo from the Boot manager to the point where the mouse pointer appears.

turning the no gui option may speed the start by a meesly 4-5 seconds but then if there are any error messages/etc.. then windows won't show them and you would have no idea that something is wrong so the way i see it is that i am willing to wait an extra 4-5 barely noticeable seconds so that if windows does indeed have an error or that it is indeed doing something that it will show it so you can fix it.

turning the no gui option may speed the start by a meesly 4-5 seconds but then if there are any error messages/etc.. then windows won't show them and you would have no idea that something is wrong so the way i see it is that i am willing to wait an extra 4-5 barely noticeable seconds so that if windows does indeed have an error or that it is indeed doing something that it will show it so you can fix it.

Are you referring to a blue screen of death? Because that's the only error message i've ever seen on bootup.

• 1 month later...
Are you referring to a blue screen of death? Because that's the only error message i've ever seen on bootup.

and presumably a blue screen with small white text doesn't require that boot graphics driver...............

HP Mini 311-1037NR w. 1st Gen SSD ( J-Micron) AHCI enabled

No GUI did not seem to make any difference in boot speed. Boot speed to arrow on screen is 20 seconds, another 10-13 seconds to desktop.

I did notice something else though, my HP Mini shuts down in ~7 seconds after being on some time compared to 11-12 seconds if shutdown after a few seconds after complete boot.

If you want to shave your boot times, I draw your attention to the Task Scheduler,

There are a lot of tasks that are scheduled to run at boot / logon which do not seem critical or seem rather mysterious. Any of these that can be disabled safely?

I didn't read any of the post in this thread but I will try when I go home, cause it take like 5 min to boot my computer with 7 even after fresh install.

Intel c2quad with 6gig ram.

That's absurd for that spec. My machine is half as good and Win 7 takes all of 20 seconds to boot.

Do you have external hard drives, network drives, or a RAID setup?

the logo is there for a reason so if something is wrong you will see it hence at this time i recommend leaving it alone,a few extra seconds for boot time are meaningless for peace of mind but if say it took 5 mins then that would be considered far too long and if it takes a very long time to boot then try to find what is causing it as say external drives can cause it and or drivers that are slow to move along.

I hate the new blobby startup animation. I find it really ugly. Not so concerned about it slowing down boot time but getting rid of the ugliness AND speeding up my boot time is a bonus!

I tested out this myth on my machines, it may no difference on any of them. And of course it didn't, since the boot animation was specifically designed to not impact boot performance.

For reference, my three personally owned machine boot to the desktop in 8-14 seconds (two of them have SSDs).

I tested out this myth on my machines, it may no difference on any of them.

yeah, a trace with the Windows Performance Toolkit would get the same result. The small difference comes from ReadyBoot (much improved boot prefetcher), which learns from older boot processes. That's why the systems may boot up a little bit faster, but this has nothing to do with changing the boot screen.