Torchlight - Awesome Diablo Clone Now Out!

I downloaded Torchlight off of Steam yesterday, and it captivated me for the rest of the evening. Awesome Diablo clone. And by clone I do mean CLONE. It is almost as if the developers were sitting around and said "Diablo was popular, so is WoW... if only we can release something that combines the two and comes out before Diablo 3."

Well, here we are with Torchlight.

Even the scrolls of town portal and identify are reminiscent of the Diablo series.

Anyway, if you are looking for a new one this one is really good. And the price isn't bad at all. I got it off of Steam for $18.

I downloaded Torchlight off of Steam yesterday, and it captivated me for the rest of the evening. Awesome Diablo clone. And by clone I do mean CLONE. It is almost as if the developers were sitting around and said "Diablo was popular, so is WoW... if only we can release something that combines the two and comes out before Diablo 3."

Well, here we are with Torchlight.

Even the scrolls of town portal and identify are reminiscent of the Diablo series.

Anyway, if you are looking for a new one this one is really good. And the price isn't bad at all. I got it off of Steam for $18.

ya it's pretty much a hybrid of diablo & Wow - done well too!! worth playing and it's really fun

Hah, was just about to make a thread on it. Have heard a lot of good things about it. Will buy it later today when I get home.

They also appear to be planning an online game they're doing that's set in the same Torchlight universe. Seems their small team couldn't get an online version due to time and possibly money constraints. Still, if the game's good, it'd definitely be worth the buy. I mean, at $20, you can't really go wrong.

Besides, D3 won't even be out in 2010 so this may be just the filler time we need. Very customizable too, from what I've seen. Can surely expect to see some user-content before long. :)

And by clone I do mean CLONE. It is almost as if the developers were sitting around and said "Diablo was popular, so is WoW... if only we can release something that combines the two and comes out before Diablo 3."

I think that it's pretty much the same team of developers who did Diablo.

I think that it's pretty much the same team of developers who did Diablo.

Oh really? I heard that most of the Diablo developers don't even work for Blizzard North anymore. That makes sense. They certainly have the high impact hack-n-slash gameplay of Diablo down... something that other wanna-be clones haven't been able to really deliver on.

To me this game is just perfect. Pure adrenalin pumping action with a decent story line and no bull****. The music score is fantastic as well. The player modeling is top notch.

The game play with the Vanquisher is sweet...with my pistol and battle axe duel-wield :)

I highly recommend dumping points in the "Adventurer" skill early on (available on all characters). This increases your Exp and Fame gains which helps you level faster.

i saw this online however i was not too sure about it i would like to give it a try and see how well it plays.

This game rocks. It got that perfect ARPG gameplay that is so hard to do right.

There is a demo on Steam too if you wanna try before buying. But for $20 it is well worth the money according to me. If you are a veteran player, start on harder difficulty. Very Hard do offer a challenge, even if Vanquisher might be a bit easier (not tested Alchemist yet).

Is there anyway to change the difficulty once you start a character? I started on Normal on my Vanquisher and am finding it WAY too easy. I'm at level 18 and haven't died once. What happens when you die anyway, lol?

I'm going to start an Alchemist on hard i think....

Great game. Pure hack and slash as it should be with good ol' Diablo-like music, sounds and much more. Graphics aren't the same as Diablo, obviously, but suit the game very well nevertheless. I hope they produce some DLCs. Heck, I would pay for extra maps and whatnot any time.

@Shadrack

When you die, you are given 3 options: resurrect at the same spot in exchange for some fame and XP, resurrect at level entrance for some XP and resurrect at town for nothing.

The site seems to be down right now (only the front page works...), is it a pay as you go type game (like WoW) or pay once (like diablo). I might get it if it's pay once....but I refuse to "subscribe" to a game...

I hope they produce some DLCs. Heck, I would pay for extra maps and whatnot any time.

Well, from what I've gathered, there's an editor that comes with that allows for user created content. Hopefully, the community around this game will grow fast and open up a wide variety of content for players.

Q: Will players be able to mod the game?

A: Users will be able to separately download our editor (named "Preditor"). This is the primary tool which we used to create Torchlight ourselves, and exposes a huge amount of the game to user customization. Players will be able to create their own fixed and random levels, items, skills, classes, monsters, quests, adjust balance, and so forth.

The site seems to be down right now (only the front page works...), is it a pay as you go type game (like WoW) or pay once (like diablo). I might get it if it's pay once....but I refuse to "subscribe" to a game...

It's $20 ($18 on Steam someone said). No subscription fees. This is a singleplayer game only.

It's $20 ($18 on Steam someone said). No subscription fees. This is a singleplayer game only.

sweet, i might pick it up :), I think Diablo was one of the last retail game I've bought lol (maybe Heroes 3 or 4 but I'm not sure if I bought it or borrowed from my friend...)

Multiplayer is coming soon, apparently.

18 to 24 months from what I've heard. But that's prolly the whole MMO package. If they release a LAN/internet patch for TL before that then it would rock for sure.

Is the character building really deep?

I'm not a hardcore RPGer and don't read character build guides or anything...

It just looks like something to effectively kill time with... the looting aspect of these games keep me coming back for more.

For $20, I think I'm going to get it. This will be my first game purchase for 2009, I think. Last game I bought was Fable II :)

To answer my earlier question and anyone else on non windows:

Q: Will there be Mac and/or Linux-native versions of Torchlight? How about console or mobile?

A: We are currently working on a version of Torchlight for Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6+). However, the editor will likely not make the transition to Mac OS. We have not made any decisions regarding versions on any other platforms as of this time.

Source: http://www.torchlightgame.com/faq/#faq18