Torchlight - Awesome Diablo Clone Now Out!

Is the character building really deep?

I'm not a hardcore RPGer and don't read character build guides or anything...

Yes and no. The skill-trees are sparse, but focus on important things. They have three tabs for each character. Skills are only pre-req. by level, you can jump into a tree and pick a skill in the middle if you like (and have reqired level). You also get 4 slots for dropped spells and have 2 slots on your pet that also diversifies your abilities a bit. They can be summons (zombies, skeletons, flaming sword etc) or spells like fireball etc and utility like town portal/identify (no need for more scrolls).

Runic Games: "Former Flagship Studios Seattle team becomes Runic Games" (That was one year ago).

Which means, they were quite quick in making Torchlight! :)

I might try it out, but not today. Hopefully it will fill the hole left from the closing of Hellgate :/

The game caught my attention when I saw screenshots of it with its Diablo-esque UI. The only thing preventing me from buying it is lack of multiplayer support. I'd love to go on and wreak havoc with my friend. Looks like I'll pass on this one. I might get it later on for my siblings.

Runic Games: "Former Flagship Studios Seattle team becomes Runic Games" (That was one year ago).

I might try it out, but not today. Hopefully it will fill the hole left from the closing of Hellgate :/

Runic was Ping0 which was the group who was creating something very similar to Torchlight. In fact the similarities are astonishing which suggests they took the code they were using for their previous game and just transitioned it to this one. It should be noted that Ping0 is not the same exact team as Blizzard North. Blizzard North got split up into a bunch of different companies like Arena.net, Flagship, Ping0, Blizzard, and others.

I don't understand why did they changed the visual aspect of the game, but some of the sounds are directly taken from diablo 2 and a lot of cues of the soundtracks are takem from the diablo 2 soundtrack. :/

I don't understand why did they changed the visual aspect of the game, but some of the sounds are directly taken from diablo 2 and a lot of cues of the soundtracks are takem from the diablo 2 soundtrack. :/

Because they don't own the intellectually property rights to the diablo series so they can't exactly copy everything.

I hope they release a simple LAN/ "internet hosted" multiplayer option soon. I don't want to wait 18-24 months for this MMO.

But I would love to play the game with some friends.

In fact, I think the whole MMO thing doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. I love the simplicity of this game and would like to see the studio continue to produce content for it. The MMO route seems doomed to be crushed by the monolith, WoW.

really? Won't they be in considerable trouble if Blizz find out? :o

I hope they release a simple LAN/ "internet hosted" multiplayer option soon. I don't want to wait 18-24 months for this MMO.

But I would love to play the game with some friends.

I agree! I really like the look of this RPG.. but I almost never play single player games

If you're looking for something to fill the hole Failgate left, try Borderlands. Great game. :yes:

Regarding Minifig's double-post on multiplayer...

Q: Will I be able to play Torchlight online?

A: Because of the relatively short development window and tiny development team, we decide to focus our efforts on making a complete single-player experience. However, we are already in development of a massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight for future release.

Since their website seems to having issues, I'd advise people to read the FAQ through the Google cache here. This would answer a lot of everyone's questions.

Also, this is not an MMO if that's what anyone here is looking for.

It's by the creators of the Diablo series, and Matt Uleman (sp) who did the music for Diablo is the composer for the Torchlight score, so naturally it will have the same sort of feel. I am level 19 right now, and I'd give it an 8.5 or 9/10. The only issue I have is that you keep going up to the same town, and there's not a lot of towns like in D2, but I guess that's part of it being a "dungeon crawler".

Yeah, amazing. And for only $20, a real steal.

Because they don't own the intellectually property rights to the diablo series so they can't exactly copy everything.

I know, but it strikes me that instead of revamping everything theyd decided to stick with the "diablo music" instead of giving it a whole different mood, just like they've done visually.

I don't think I'd be happy with an MMO action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight. Unless of course it's free. Honestly though, I'd much rather see a multiplayer version of the one that's out right now complete with party support. I think that would be awesome.

In fact, I think the whole MMO thing doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. I love the simplicity of this game and would like to see the studio continue to produce content for it. The MMO route seems doomed to be crushed by the monolith, WoW.

I think it is great idea, a MMO ARPG. It is not like Diablo, with few players in short games. And it is not like WoW with traditional MMO ideas (perspective, gameplay and tank/healer/dps group play).

A huge ARPG world will be very cool to play in.

I know, but it strikes me that instead of revamping everything theyd decided to stick with the "diablo music" instead of giving it a whole different mood, just like they've done visually.

Uh... really? What visual qualities does the game have that make it feel different? It looks like WoW in a D2 universe...

Honestly, I'm not looking for a brand new game that flips my world upside down, I just want a game like Diablo II, especially since Diablo III is so far away. Gameplay is what has grabbed my interest for the most part. Everything else will pretty much just be a bonus for me. Hearing people say the music is like Diablo's is a big bonus too, considering Diablo has some awesome music throughout the entire game. :yes:

I don't think I'd be happy with an MMO action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight. Unless of course it's free. Honestly though, I'd much rather see a multiplayer version of the one that's out right now complete with party support. I think that would be awesome.

If it is anything like Mythos, the town is only the first in a large series of towns. Mythos had what felt like hundreds of towns and infinite places to explore. Check out details on Mythos to get an idea of where this game may be headed. Torchlight is a WIP and because of that they are releasing it in manageable modules.

A lot of the Runic staff were part of the Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 team. Yes, this includes the Diablo 2 sound artist, which is why a lot of the music and sound effects sounds similar. It's part of his style.