Apple Buying Ads Against Windows 7 Searches

In a move that will surprise few, Apple is purchasing advertisements against searches on Google such as ?download windows 7b>,? anindows 7 download<d.?

Those are actually different searches, by the way. They generate about 5 million different listings than each other.

Apple must be paying exorbitant prices for the space, and probably making few sales against someone already looking to move up the Windows food chain. That aside, it is fun to see Apple talk smack with its 30 billion dollar bank account and ad-bomb Redmond.

http://thenextweb.com/files/2009/11/mac-windows-7.PNG[/iource<e : TheNextWeb

Err, I tried this on Google (on multiple country sites) and didn't see this on any - used different combinations too like "Buying Windows" "Download Windows" "Downloading Windows" with Vista, 7 and XP as additional keywords.

Yeah, it's probably a US-only ad for the time being.

That said, I'll find this absolutely hilarious if they try buying ads on other search engines... such as Bing.

Not only does it not work, but on that exact same search, I get 137,000,000 hits, not 136.

I call fake.

No, it seems the image was cropped. There's not even space for another digit after the "6".

Well, whilst I may be in the UK, it doesn't do it from the Google US site for me.

How many hits did you get returned?

137m for 'Windows 7 download' and 142m for 'download Windows 7.'

48520232.jpg

FloatingFatMan: From UK as well and didn't show up here either so I just went to www.google.com via "hidemyass" and entered "download Windows 7" and got the above.

So rather than positively promote their own products they decide to play the inferior little whiney bitch approach.

Typical Apple then.

You mean like this;

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009...c-users-too.ars

Seriously, both sides are pretty rotten in the "throwing feces on the other" so I wouldn't go calling out either of them worse.

Not only does it not work, but on that exact same search, I get 137,000,000 hits, not 136.

I call fake.

:pinch:

the image is cutting off the the last 6 zeros....

Seeing things like this make me happy I don't own anything Apple.

Yes because owning things from a business that calls the competition cancer and communism is vastly better, eh?

I don't get why people are getting worked up over this. People looking to upgrade their computer is one of their biggest target markets, and not taking advantage of the launch of a popular competitor OS would just be silly. This is the whole point of target ads, to target people. If you follow through to the link you'll have seen it is focusing on their own products http://www.apple.com/getamac/ with a slant to focus on PC switchers.

Well, whilst I may be in the UK, it doesn't do it from the Google US site for me.

How many hits did you get returned?

Same here, and I got 141,000,000 hits

Yes because owning things from a business that calls the competition cancer and communism is vastly better, eh?

Show me where that happened

You mean like this;

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009...c-users-too.ars

Seriously, both sides are pretty rotten in the "throwing feces on the other" so I wouldn't go calling out either of them worse.

Arstechnica article is just bitching from an Apple fanboy. Everything in those slides is facts. It gave me a laugh.

This one is an obvious stab at the Mac, Laptop Hunters style. The $300 is an interesting number though. We''d love to see how Microsoft came up with the figure.

Whining and denial. There is no doubt that PCs cost less with same or better configuration. The number is probably actually a lot smaller than what you can get an equally spec-ed laptop. I don't even think where's the stab. All factual.

Just like with the Linux slides, Microsoft is touting Windows Live Essentials. Yes, MobileMe costs $69 for the first year, but iChat is free and iLife '09 (including iPhoto and iMovie HD) is included with every Mac.

Yes..it's included with every Mac you buy, but it's NOT free. It costs money for upgrade which is what comes out to $99 each year. If you want to buy an iLife alone it's gonna be even more then that. Windows Live Essentials, be it on a new computer or an already existing computer is FREAKIN' FREE any way you look at it.

Snow Leopard may not offer as many themes as Windows 7 does, but it can still be customized just fine. Believe it or not, you can change the screensaver!

Sure, fundamental customization is similar, but theme-ing and customizing your Windows is light years beyond OSX including 3rd party applications like Windows Blinds. OSX's last application died like from Panther days. So more whining without any substance.

True, although the hardware is equivalent?and you can boot Windows 7 on a Mac if you want a Mac OS X plus the gaming experience, some Mac users will argue. Others will counter that this defeats the purpose of running a Mac, but nevertheless the option is still there.

Last time I checked you'd be still gaming on WINDOWS. So yeah.. nothing false or misleading there. And it's hardly a good solution to boot into an OS you bitch about to game. Talk about hypocrisy.

Sure, unless they are already Mac users.

Last time I checked, Apple is trying to convert PC users to Macs, not vice versa. Pretty much works with Windows whether it's their friends, or in business environment. To switch to Mac and learn some completely illogical ways to run OSX is harder, not to mention less supported since the market share is what the key is.

This Microsoft training material for Best Buy retail staff is deliberately attacking Apple. Just like last time, there are correct assertions in the slides, but the majority of the statements are inaccurate or are only accurate in the specific way they are worded (though compared to the Linux slides, Apple got off easy). At publishing time, Microsoft did not yet respond to an inquiry about commenting on either the Linux story or this one.

Nonsense. There are only 3 slides that are brought in question and they are not false at all. And yes, it is an attack on Apple, but within the realm of reality and it's factual, not some justification from people who bought Macs.

People need to face the facts that on an operating system that has 90%+ marketshare there will be everything, from games to applications to support to better hardware and with the larger number of people and competition the prices are normally cheaper. Not to mention that with PCs and Windows you'll be on the bleeding edge and can continue upgrading without problems. With Apple, well you know it. It's what they decide is good for you.

Maybe instead of bitching about something that's not there, Apple should open up more and allow people to develop for the platform things that are not utilities, but of course we know that won't happen because they need to control everything. Well if that's the case, than I suggest all of these writers who have panties in a bunch about factual state of things to stop whining.

If you buy a computer that's more expensive and inferior in every aspect including price but looks nice don't go all bent up about Windows and PC hardware being cheaper.

Edited by Boz