mkv-->PowerDVD

I need to convert a .mkv (HD content inside) file to something that will play in power DVD (.TS, mpeg2, etc). anyways, I did that through both TsMuxer and VLC. Now, when I go to play in PowerDVD I get video, but no audio. My settings for PowerDVD are in HDMI, but it says I'm not connected via audio when the video is playing. However, when I play via VLC, I get audio. I need PowerDVD for the 24p playback decoding...any suggestions?

Not really it might unnecessarily transcode AAC > AC3 but it shouldn't take longer than a few minutes depending on the file size.

Its not video transcoding.

ok it just got done, and now the video won't play. it basically loads and freezes.

is there any reason not to use x264? my file has that and DTS

Edited by UNCcrombie

If you want to play MKV files in PDVD, just install Haali Media Splitter and rename the MKV file extension to AVI. No need for any conversion.

and that keeps all the original encoding? any specific settings?

Renaming a file obviously does nothing, so everything is kept as it is. The splitter is for Windows to know how to read the MKV container. The reason you need to rename the files is because PDVD doesn't know that format. Fortunately for you, you are running on a sophisticated OS and not on some silly hardware (as opposed to what some idiots here want you to believe :rolleyes:), so renaming it allows PDVD to use Windows for decoding. It will then play just fine, because PDVD can decode h264, DTS, DD (AC3), etc. :)

Renaming a file obviously does nothing, so everything is kept as it is. The splitter is for Windows to know how to read the MKV container. The reason you need to rename the files is because PDVD doesn't know that format. Fortunately for you, you are running on a sophisticated OS and not on some silly hardware (as opposed to what some idiots here want you to believe :rolleyes:), so renaming it allows PDVD to use Windows for decoding. It will then play just fine, because PDVD can decode h264, DTS, DD (AC3), etc. :)

can't it read the container since VLC is installed? or does this add it from a windows standpoint?

The splitter gives information to Windows on how to read the MKV container. For example, Windows has its own AVI splitter. PDVD doesn't know how to read MKV files, but Windows does, it will use Windows to "split" the MKV into streams.

VLC has nothing to do with this, VLC is a standalone player that has all the splitters and decoders built into it, but they are there only for VLC, not PDVD or Windows. Haali MKV Splitter is not a player, but a tool for Windows, and subsequently players using Windows to play media files.

The splitter gives information to Windows on how to read the MKV container. For example, Windows has its own AVI splitter. PDVD doesn't know how to read MKV files, but Windows does, it will use Windows to "split" the MKV into streams.

VLC has nothing to do with this, VLC is a standalone player that has all the splitters and decoders built into it, but they are there only for VLC, not PDVD or Windows. Haali MKV Splitter is not a player, but a tool for Windows, and subsequently players using Windows to play media files.

ok I'll give this a shot tonight and let you know. thanks!

ok I'll give this a shot tonight and let you know. thanks!

still not working. video is very jumpy. still no audio and this time I was just trying to watch it on my computer. here's my output from power DVD:

Player information:

Current drive: D:

Hardware Information:

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU P8700 @ running at 2526 MHz

3DNow! technology: Not Detected

Enhanced 3DNow! technology: Not Detected

3DNow! professional technology: Not Detected

IA MMX technology: In Use

IA sStreaming SIMD extensions: In Use

IA SSE 2: In Use

Video accelerator: DirectX VA (not in use)

Multispeaker audio device: Speakers (High Definition Audio (not in use)

S/PDIF output device: Not Detected

Hardware support:

DXVA1 Mpeg2 Support Profile: BSP:(X) IDCT:(X) MC:(O) (via VMR)

DXVA1 H.264 Support Profile: BSP: (X) BSP_Intel: (X) MC: (X) MC_ATI: (X) MC_NV: (X)

DXVA1 VC-1 Support Profile: BSP: (X) BSP_Intel: (X) IDCT: (X) MC: (X)

DXVA2 Mpeg2 Support Profile: BSP: (X) IDCT: (O) MC: (X)

DXVA2 H.264 Support Profile: BSP: (O) BSP_Intel: (X) MC: (X) MC_ATI: (X)

DXVA2 VC-1 Support Profile: BSP: (O) BSP_Intel: (X) IDCT: (X) MC: (X)

You mind running your MKV file through MediaInfo? PDVD should be able to decode almost anything thrown at it? I don't think the MKV is the problem here.

General

Complete name : C:\Users\John\Desktop\9.2009.Bluray.1080p.x264.DTS.dxva-AToM\Movie\9.2009.Bluray.1080p.x264.DTS.dxva-AToM.mkv

Format : Matroska

File size : 4.31 GiB

Duration : 1h 19mn

Overall bit rate : 7 781 Kbps

Movie name : 9 nine 2009 Bluray 1080p x264 DTS dxva-AToM

Encoded date : UTC 2009-11-12 11:03:17

Writing application : mkvmerge v2.9.7 ('Tenderness') built on Jul 1 2009 18:43:35

Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames

Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Bit rate : 6 116 Kbps

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Resolution : 24 bits

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.123

Stream size : 3.38 GiB (79%)

Writing library : x264 core 76 r1271 496d79d

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=48 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=38000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio

ID : 2

Format : DTS

Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems

Codec ID : A_DTS

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps

Channel(s) : 6 channels

Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Resolution : 24 bits

Stream size : 856 MiB (19%)

Language : English

Text #1

ID : 3

Format : ASS

Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha

Language : Swedish

Text #2

ID : 4

Language : English

Text #3

ID : 5

Language : Greek

Text #4

ID : 6

Language : Norwegian

Text #5

ID : 7

Language : Portuguese

Text #6

ID : 8

Language : Romanian

Don't know, everything seems normal. Renaming the MKV to AVI and opening in Power DVD should work (works for me and a lot of other people). Just to make sure, you installed this, right: http://haali.su/mkv/

yup. i'm just confused as to why i only get audio with VLC. i dont even get it with WMP

^Guess I should read the whole topic next time :p

I would just dump PDVD, but I don't really understand why it's necessary for you (24p what?) so maybe you can't. I do have PDVD installed but only so I can use its video codec in KMPlayer for MPEG2 hardware acceleration.

^Guess I should read the whole topic next time :p

I would just dump PDVD, but I don't really understand why it's necessary for you (24p what?) so maybe you can't. I do have PDVD installed but only so I can use its video codec in KMPlayer for MPEG2 hardware acceleration.

i needed something for 24p playback so i didnt have any judder when playing blu ray .mkv files

I do have PDVD installed but only so I can use its video codec in KMPlayer for MPEG2 hardware acceleration.

Why not just use the Microsoft codecs found in Windows 7 (and I think Vista). They already have hardware acceleration capabilities, and no need for having PDVD installed.

BTW, using EVR as a renderer in The KMPlayer or Media Player Classic Homecinema will remove any sort of "judder".

• 1 month later...

PowerDVD v9 build 2320 has support for .mkv, verified working on my system. I did already have the haali media splitter and other codecs installed, so I can't be certain that it will run without these.

not contributing much to the thread other than my opinion:

im surprised that PowerDVD cant read mkv's. I have Arcsoft TotalMedia 3, which does.

anyways, i use Handbrake to transcode mkv's to mp4s to play them on my PS3.

• 2 weeks later...