Remove Start Menu User Picture

Hi everybody :) Great forum here !

Been customizing my win7 x64 to some extend now.

But I'm still looking for this solution.

Let me first explain where I am stuck at the moment :

I want my user pic in the start menu completely disabled :

post-319808-1259176652_thumb.jpg

What I have managed to do, is remove the frame around the picture with restorator.

It resides in explorer.exe, bitmaps 7013, 7014, 7015 and 7016.

So I deleted those and the pic was completely gone.

BUT when hovering the mouse in the start menu, the pic reapears without the frame :

post-319808-1259176637_thumb.jpg

So I found a solution to bypass the use of a pic by deleting the user.bmp picture in c:\users\all users\microsoft\default user pictures\

and renaming that folder to "default_no user pictures"

Now the pic was gone too, but still some side effects :

User pic is also gone in the logon screen, and none of the application icons show up anymore when hovering the mouse in start menu.

So I tried to replace the user pic with a pic that is totally transparent. That results with a transparent background in the logonscreen pic, but NOT in start menu.

In start menu, it still shows as a white background.

So I'm convinced that somewhere there is a resource that puts a white background in the start menu user picture.

So if anyone knows a good workaround to get the user pic disabled in the start menu only, please speak you mind.

Need some help on this one...

Thanx for any info or help.

if u can buy Windows Style Builder.. it has a hack that u just have to click on a button and it disables the userpic..

The hack doesn't seem to work with Windows 7 (at least for me) but you can remove the user picture. Just uncheck the USERPIICTURE:BOOL checkbox in Start Menu > Panels > Basic > UserPane

The hack doesn't seem to work with Windows 7 (at least for me) but you can remove the user picture. Just uncheck the USERPIICTURE:BOOL checkbox in Start Menu > Panels > Basic > UserPane

Thanx for the tips...

I know it can be done with vista style builder. But it must be also possible with restorator, without the use of some styling app. That's what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for the real resource mod.

So anyone know ?

Well, I tried your method, but when I do this, and apply the aero.msstyles, Aero doesn't work anymore for none of the themes I have...

Might explaining why ?

-> I copied aero.msstyles to desktop. then unchecked what you said and saved. then replaced the aero.msstyles in resources\themes folder.

Now aero doesn't work anymore. when I replace it with my original (modded) aero.msstyles, aero works again.

Can someone tell me how to get that damn vista style builder to actually work ??

First it broke my aero.

After I retried, but this time pushed "test" and then when closing, I can only save it to another file. So I saved to aero2.msstyles and said yes to "use this theme".

So it works, but my theme I was using is this way lost, and when replacing this with the original aero.msstyles (so I can use it with my theme), pc won't boot anymore.

Please explain how to save it in my current aero.msstyles without breaking down my aero.

Here's one solution that i have developed for this specific problem.

Place the .exe wherever you want, then run it once to set it as an autostart item for Windows.

The user picture will vanish from existence.

91071739.jpg

It will only re-appear if you change the Theme or if you reposition the taskbar around your desktop, but then again you can manually run the .exe once more.

Works for Windows Vista, Windows 7.

NoUserPicture.zip

Edited by LoneRunner

Here's one solution that i have developed for this specific problem.

Place the .exe wherever you want, then run it once to set it as an autostart item for Windows.

The user picture will vanish from existence.

91071739.jpg

It will only re-appear if you change the Theme or if you reposition the taskbar around your desktop, but then again you can manually run the .exe once more.

Works for Windows Vista, Windows 7.

NoUserPicture.zip

hey thanx. but I looked inside the file with restorator, and there's nothing but an x for an icon, version and manifest.

no hex or uifile resource ?

anyway,

does it work for win7 x64 ?

hey thanx. but I looked inside the file with restorator, and there's nothing but an x for an icon, version and manifest.

no hex or uifile resource ?

anyway,

does it work for win7 x64 ?

That's because he did it via code, not resources.

That's because he did it via code, not resources.

Will it work for x64 ?

Don't want to try if it'll **** up my rig...

Anyway, I allready got it done thanks to VSB, great app, but still looking for a restorator solution...

But it's good to have another alternative none the less.

Will it work for x64 ?

Don't want to try if it'll **** up my rig...

Anyway, I allready got it done thanks to VSB, great app, but still looking for a restorator solution...

But it's good to have another alternative none the less.

I'm pretty sure it will run on x64.

It will not harm your system in any way, so if it doesn't work, just delete the .exe, and the "NoUserPicture" registry entry on HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

That's all.

I'm pretty sure it will run on x64.

It will not harm your system in any way, so if it doesn't work, just delete the .exe, and the "NoUserPicture" registry entry on HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

That's all.

Ok. I'll try it later on. Many thanx for this one, buddy.

I used the tool to remove the picture without issue, great!

Now where it says Computer, Control Panel etc, is there away I can move that up to the top, there is a space left over from the userpic?

I used the tool to remove the picture without issue, great!

Now where it says Computer, Control Panel etc, is there away I can move that up to the top, there is a space left over from the userpic?

i'll look into that, nice idea.

• 2 weeks later...

i am just using lonerunner's nouserpicture, nice app! one thing bores me: when starting the system, there is this popup which informs you the picture is hidden. is there a way to hide/disable that window?

i am just using lonerunner's nouserpicture, nice app! one thing bores me: when starting the system, there is this popup which informs you the picture is hidden. is there a way to hide/disable that window?

This popup is supposed to appear once, only on the first run.

So Glad to see other people trying to get rid of that too, I also managed to get rid of the frame but not the pic (hated the fact it still had the vista light blue outlines)

will try lonerunner's app for now.