• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 27 April 2010 - 23:44

Nope, I left that back in 1995. :)

#62 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 April 2010 - 00:02

Yes. Specially when running on battery power and taking a plane. Pity we need to look for CSMenu to give it the complete feel...

#63 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2010 - 00:14

I can't see using classic on Windows 7 however I do use the classic on my laptop with XPSP3.

#64 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 28 April 2010 - 00:14

Personally, I prefer the look of the original windows 1.0 :rolleyes:

#65 Lazure

Lazure

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:43

This is exactly why I can't see them forcing the theme/DWM engines on a server. It's the same reason why any respectable *Nix server runs in console mode and not with KDE/Gnome/whatever. It's just another point of failure that can bring the server down, be it the graphics system, a badly written theme, buggy drivers, other supporting software, etc etc. On systems that are driving mission critical "it better run or the boss will have me killed" software, the last thing you need is frivolous stuff like glass and effects. It has no place on a server.

And since the desktop and server platforms typically share the same "guts", it'll carry over into the desktop environment too.

Yeah, well, MS has been luggin' around that same exact framework for 15 years. Think it's gonna be around in 2015? 2020? 2030? Just how long are they gonna use the same stuff under the hood?

#66 vetSimon

Simon

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:45

Yeah, well, MS has been luggin' around that same exact framework for 15 years. Think it's gonna be around in 2015? 2020? 2030? Just how long are they gonna use the same stuff under the hood?

If it ain't broke...

#67 Lazure

Lazure

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:58

If it ain't broke...

Yeah, well, that kinda thinking never calls for progress now does it?

Horses weren't broke but we replaced them with cars because cars looked better and moved quicker.

#68 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:03

Hell No, I prefer the Aero Look compared to that fugly Windows Classic.

#69 Jen Smith

Jen Smith

Gone

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:34

Again, depends on server vs desktop. On a server, the latest and greatest UI improvements mean absolutely jack. The only reason I ran with a GUI on my Windows servers is that I had no choice in the matter; on my BSD boxes, an X server is entirely out of the question. It has zero place in a server configuration, and does nothing but add an additional point of failure. It has nothing to do with progress, but reliability and uptime. Do you think *Nix servers are typically console only because they don't have a prettier option? No; KWin/Compiz/etc has written the book on "desktop bling", and they still have no place in a server environment. And since Windows currently cannot run in a purely console mode (yet), they'll continue to support the bare minimum of GUI elements to get the job done.

The reason I keep bringing the server part up is that the desktop and server editions of Windows are built on the same monolithic base, just some parts added/removed/tweaked depending on the installation. For a server install, there must be some sort of basic GUI system that doesn't require 3D acceleration and all that. Until the time Microsoft makes a major design changes under the hood, I can't see the barebones UI going anywhere.

After all that though; I agree with you. It's fugly as hell. I like the console. I like Aero/DWM. But ye olde Win95 look... ew.

#70 LightShadow

LightShadow

>Metro<

Posted 04 July 2010 - 15:49

Nope, Aero Glass is my favourite and just fits perfect for 7... I really am starting to hate Classic UI... A lot of company's use it as it is claimed to be faster... Or just cause they have stuck with the same computers for year's leading to bad graphics support...

I hope with Windows 8 they finally discontinue the classic UI. We are not in the Windows 95 days anymore.

#71 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 July 2010 - 15:51

The classic theme is horrid Posted Image It will probably be gone in Windows 8, hopefully.

#72 LightShadow

LightShadow

>Metro<

Posted 04 July 2010 - 15:55

As for server, they should remove the Classic UI from main windows and leave it on Server ONLY...

Also redesign the aero... I hate when you have aero off... (Aero Basic/No Transparency/Windows 7 Starter/Bad Graphics), it's this horrid grey colour... Why could they not make it to look like the Vista toolbar when Aero was off... Since it makes 7 starter and computers that can't run Aero just look a bit ugly.

#73 azure.sapphire

azure.sapphire

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 July 2010 - 16:04

I think from a server perspective they need to completely dump the UI (on all versions of Server). This of course is not really possible given how Windows applications (are generally) written. There is nothing prohibiting vendors from releasing console applications, but most don't... than again, for a server all you need are your essential services plus whatever daemon you want running. At least there is Server Core.

As for the classic UI, I miss it for nostalgic reasons (and will ever so often enable it), but generally, the Aero Glass interface is much smoother and productive overall.

#74 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 July 2010 - 17:24

hell no.

#75 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:03

No Thanks