features you disabled in Windows 7 and why?

superfetch - dont believe in pre load caching and I want my hdd to be idle unless it is really needed.

defender - real time is off due to nod32 and alternative adware apps but I have left the scheduled scan on.

windows search - resource optimisation, discovered a process was using excessive cpu during idle time and windows search was the culprit. I rarely run searches anyway.

glass windows - aero is on but I disabled the glass affect.

clear type - done this due to the poor 2d performance of windows 7, jerkyness in scrolling typically.

aero shake - very annoying, it often triggered during my normal movements of mouse.

windows update - made it check for updates but thats as far as it goes, so it prompts me when some are available but I have to manually do the updates.

quick launch - a enable but different to windows 7 default so mentioned.

Replaced superbar with classic start menu.

Replaced start menu with clasic start menu

stopped automatic updates

removed libraries

re-enabled quicklaunch.

removed folderband.

added toolbar buttons back.

I should go through my services list and disable some other things that sounds useless, like that XPS thing mentioned previously.

some sweet stuff there, would love to know how to remove libraries. Superbar I defenitly understand why you did it as well.

What's the point then?

you guys think windows 7 is just about a new gui.

there is reasons to use windows 7 other than a juiced up interface.

I haven't disabled anything yet, nor do I plan to. Windows 7 is fast enough as it is, and tweaking it is absolutely pointless in this day and age when multi-core PCs and 2+GB of RAM is becoming the norm. Perhaps tweaking on netbooks for battery life and increased performance is worth it, but trying to shrink 7's footprint on your main system is completely pointless.

Heh, I didn't even tweak 7 on my old Celeron M laptop because it was running just fine, and I sure as hell didn't do any tweaking on my C2Q Q6600 build...

you guys think windows 7 is just about a new gui.

there is reasons to use windows 7 other than a juiced up interface.

YEs, win7 is about more than a new GUI, but with all that disabled, and with the updates to vista in SP1 and SP2, you may as well just run Vista, there's very little change with all those things disabled, and the change that is there isn't something you're going to notice anyway.

YEs, win7 is about more than a new GUI, but with all that disabled, and with the updates to vista in SP1 and SP2, you may as well just run Vista, there's very little change with all those things disabled, and the change that is there isn't something you're going to notice anyway.

I admit I considered using vista sp2 instead of windows 7 (an option available to me since I have technet plus) since when I was making the decision I wanted quick launch, hated the new taskbar, hated aero shake and I also didnt like the fact microsoft removed some windows features in win7 such as remembering folder settings and windows positions.

However windows 7 does still have improved uac over windows 7 and I now feel if I am going to upgrade win7 is the better choice since it will be getting more developer attention than vista as well as the fact at some point I may come to like these gui changes. Indeed I now have gone from completely hating the superbar to partially liking it, currently have the icons on it set to hide text and now use the jump lists.

I also expect there is various optimisations and bug fixes gone into win7 that arent applicable to vista.

Dont tell me making it like Vista makes it less productive, i know how i use windows and i dont like having just an icon with other windows stacked up behind it, i have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor i dont need everything packed into the smallest size possible.

I dont need that, if i want a window to go fullscreen i click the maximise button, i dont need two windows side by side thats what tabs are for in firefox.

I dont need some random windows programmer telling ME how I should use the os, i paid nearly ?200 for my OS i will use it how i damn well want to use it.

QFT!

Although I have flip flopped (as I'm still getting used to it) on the idea of the superbar I can agree with Richard here. The options exist so that we can adjust the OS in the way that fits our work habits and personality quirks. If MS wanted it to be used "as they saw fit" then there would be no options to customize it.

There is no "right" or "wrong" answer as to how you should configure any version of Windows. Just like there is no right or wrong answer on if you should use Windows at all. It is all up to us :)

I haven't disabled anything yet, nor do I plan to. Windows 7 is fast enough as it is, and tweaking it is absolutely pointless in this day and age when multi-core PCs and 2+GB of RAM is becoming the norm

Personally the "tweaking" I do is to make it behave more like the way I want rather than to improve performance. I feel that this is perfectly reasonable. I paid good money for it, people should let me configure it the way I want.

your another windows past wannabe meaning you will run windows7 but why run it as windows 7 when ya can run it like windows vista or XP by Raping your system again like i said to other you may as well be running vista or XP if you have no f-ing intent on using any of windows 7 features that are one of the main reason to own windows 7 and since you diabled stuff and tweaking stuff by adding old stuff back in to some form or another your impairng windows 7 performance that way thus making the move to 7 that much more pointless

Why does it matter so much to you what people do with their computers?

Whether you directly use them or not, a lot of services people are disabling are better left turned on as their benefit outweighs what little performance gain if any you would by disabling it.

Whether you directly use them or not, a lot of services people are disabling are better left turned on as their benefit outweighs what little performance gain if any you would by disabling it.

TabletInputService

--- Enables Tablet PC pen and ink functionality

Peer Networking Grouping

--- Enables multi-party communication using Peer-to-Peer Grouping. If disabled, some applications, such as HomeGroup, may not function.

LanmanServer

--- Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

HomeGroupProvider

--- Performs networking tasks associated with configuration and maintenance of homegroups. If this service is stopped or disabled, your computer will be unable to detect other homegroups and your homegroup might not work properly. It is recommended that you keep this service running.

I am going to ask you how disabling the services I listed above (which originally start automatically) compromises my ability to surf youtube.com.

TabletInputService

Peer Networking Grouping

--- Enables multi-party communication using Peer-to-Peer Grouping. If disabled, some applications, such as HomeGroup, may not function.

LanmanServer

--- Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

HomeGroupProvider

--- Performs networking tasks associated with configuration and maintenance of homegroups. If this service is stopped or disabled, your computer will be unable to detect other homegroups and your homegroup might not work properly. It is recommended that you keep this service running.

I am going to ask you how disabling the services I listed above (which originally start automatically) compromises my ability to surf youtube.com.

Of course those are fine to turn off, but that's also only a very small subset mentioned.

TabletInputService

Peer Networking Grouping

LanmanServer

HomeGroupProvider

On the other hand, what's the purpose of turning them off, you wasted more time and resources disabling them than you'll ever be making back by having them disabled. those services will just idle anyway, not be actually "running"

the only thing i turned off (set to manual) was the 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service' (because i don't use it) and the printer spooler service (because i don't have a printer)

i set auto updates to manually check so it doesn't keep nagging me, i've left uac as it is because it's not that annoying once you've got all your software and set up - it only pops up once or twice a week.

On the other hand, what's the purpose of turning them off, you wasted more time and resources disabling them than you'll ever be making back by having them disabled. those services will just idle anyway, not be actually "running"

Many start when the system starts as they are set to Automatic.

They might be idle but they are still loaded.

My Windows 7 originally used a lot more RAM to run than it does now.

Some services nag and do things in the background anyway.

Aero Snap

I drag windows off to the side of the screen to get them out of the way.

Windows 7 kept resizing windows on me when I didn't want it to. Luckily, Aero Snap is easily disabled.

If you disable UAC, you are a doo doo head. Disabling UAC breaks part of the OS.

It looks like I'm the only one who hasn't disabled anything, I feel like a newbie. :p

You're not alone, bro. I haven't disabled anything, and I know a few things about computers. Many of these ones who've disabled stuff simply think they are making their computer better. You know, Microsoft isn't gonna pull the wool over their eyes! They know better, and they're gonna start disabling stuff 'cause they want their computer to run better!

Give me a break.