Halo Reach Thread

Played some more with my son last night. All I can say is OMFG this game is sweet as hell. The further I get into the campaign, the better it keeps getting. The story actually has direction this time, lol. The attention to detail is amazing. I also have noticed that the weapons feel much more solid, more accurate, actually have a "weight" to them, and the sound effects have made the game feel a bit more gritty.

It's like someone at Bungie got a kick in the ass, and they decided to kick out THE Halo game. I guess that is what experience does. I don't want this game to end, lol!

Well I finished the campaign last night on normal. The story wasn't too bad. It's a Halo game after all, so I wasn't expecting mind-blowing twists and plot devices. It was basically a good, old fashioned action movie set in the Halo universe; and that's fine by me. I had a lot of fun going through it.

I then went back to Pillar of Autumn and tried hours to get the "If They Came to Hear Me Beg" achievement. Seriously, I jumped off that cliff at the beginning of mission 10 for at least 2 hours. I ended up doing an aerial assassination on the elite below 47 times before the achievement finally unlocked. I know because I counted all of them. The "don't sprint in the air" tip that almost all videos tell you is a crock. The assassination I unlocked the achievement with was pulled off while I just let the sprint meter run out while I was falling. The only thing I know I did different then every other time was that I wasn't holding a direction on my left joystick. That's the only thing I can think of as to why it worked that time and not any others. That achievement probably made the top 10 of my all time hated achievements.

After that, I did a Firefight and unlocked several achievements using the (probably) well known all elites/unlimited rocket launcher/invincible setup. Took me about 40 minutes to get "Heat in the Pipe". I didn't get the Killionaire achievement until the first bonus round. Holy crap where there a lot of enemies. All I had to do was run around firing at the ground right in front of me, lol. My entire radar was full of red dots. It was good times.

If I have time tonight, I'll be diving into multiplayer. (and probably getting my ass handed to me by anonymity empowered, vulgar 10 year olds.)

i just finished the 7th mission and so far i'm really enjoying the campaign. i really do feel that it's second to the multiplayer though, for me at least. (i know it's probably the same for everyone else)

saying that, does anyone have a gold trial code i can have? mine just ran out. :cry:

I'm enjoying the single player, did a little cheevo-whoring with Firefight mode, never been a huge fan of the multiplayer parts of the series.

And I'm going to agree with Sethos, why do we need "IMO" or "IMHO" in these discussions? Whose opinion would I be stating if not my own? When it comes to anything subjective like art or entertainment your "opinion" is your "fact" and we don't need to squabble over such terms.

i just finished the 7th mission and so far i'm really enjoying the campaign. i really do feel that it's second to the multiplayer though, for me at least. (i know it's probably the same for everyone else)

saying that, does anyone have a gold trial code i can have? mine just ran out. :cry:

I'll have a look and PM you if I do!

What, and this one did? The original Halo was great. The whole thing was wrapped up, it was compelling yet simple, full of twists...Halo was an enigma the player was there to solve. The game was interesting. Okay, so Halo 2 wasn't as good but it was still good, and everything got a bit messy with Halo 3, but the stories in the past three were much better than Reach. Reach

had boring characters, no twists in a story everyone knew, and not enough happened

I never said that. I said quite the opposite.

Played some more with my son last night. All I can say is OMFG this game is sweet as hell. The further I get into the campaign, the better it keeps getting. The story actually has direction this time, lol. The attention to detail is amazing. I also have noticed that the weapons feel much more solid, more accurate, actually have a "weight" to them, and the sound effects have made the game feel a bit more gritty.

It's like someone at Bungie got a kick in the ass, and they decided to kick out THE Halo game. I guess that is what experience does. I don't want this game to end, lol!

The weapons are seriously solid this time around. DMR and needler rifle are my new favorites. :) The explosions from grenades and others do make a difference with the muzzled momentary deafness and red HUD etc.

Well I finished the campaign last night on normal. The story wasn't too bad. It's a Halo game after all, so I wasn't expecting mind-blowing twists and plot devices. It was basically a good, old fashioned action movie set in the Halo universe; and that's fine by me. I had a lot of fun going through it.

I then went back to Pillar of Autumn and tried hours to get the "If They Came to Hear Me Beg" achievement. Seriously, I jumped off that cliff at the beginning of mission 10 for at least 2 hours. I ended up doing an aerial assassination on the elite below 47 times before the achievement finally unlocked. I know because I counted all of them. The "don't sprint in the air" tip that almost all videos tell you is a crock. The assassination I unlocked the achievement with was pulled off while I just let the sprint meter run out while I was falling. The only thing I know I did different then every other time was that I wasn't holding a direction on my left joystick. That's the only thing I can think of as to why it worked that time and not any others. That achievement probably made the top 10 of my all time hated achievements.

After that, I did a Firefight and unlocked several achievements using the (probably) well known all elites/unlimited rocket launcher/invincible setup. Took me about 40 minutes to get "Heat in the Pipe". I didn't get the Killionaire achievement until the first bonus round. Holy crap where there a lot of enemies. All I had to do was run around firing at the ground right in front of me, lol. My entire radar was full of red dots. It was good times.

If I have time tonight, I'll be diving into multiplayer. (and probably getting my ass handed to me by anonymity empowered, vulgar 10 year olds.)

I got somewhat lucky with "If They Came to Hear Me Beg", I scored an assassination in 2nd attempt but no achievement. Then I read that I should turn off the sprint just before I trigger assassination! It took me 25-30 tries in total. It's "Crowd Control" that took me a while. I scored it when I called a air strike on a group of grunts.

The maps are poor as hell, way too open or just a massive melee cluster****, way too bland and there's little to no tactical gameplay involved ( Standing in a corner with the energy sword isn't really tactics ) or anything that can be used to your advantage. Add the shields crap, weak ass weapons and the fact a skilled player can do little to improve his chances in 2:1 because of the TERRIBLE hit detection - Then adds to an overall poor product, worst MP experience in years. Plenty of reason to hate on the game, even a lot of my friends joined that hate train over the last few days.

And yes, two players ganging up on you in any game will leave you at a disadvantage but not as much as in Halo - Because headshots are impossible to get apparently, I tried and even hit the helmet square on and nothing happened. Then you can start the classic Jump, shoot, throw all your grenades and hope for the best manoeuvre which is the ONLY thing you EVER see people do in Halo - It's so sad :laugh: At least in other games you can use the map, the game's features or tactical knowledge to your advantage, not in Halo. When I meet a skilled player that is able to counter a 2-man attack in Halo with ease I'll come back and take it back but that hasn't happened in any of the Halo games I've played, only on those random headshots or because they had the easy-kill weapons and sometimes because the enemies he was facing couldn't hit for sh ... Under normal circumstances it's almost impossible.

Halo multiplayer is all about slow, forgiving gameplay and I guess that's a great polar opposite of the usual competitive multiplayer where player abilities and reaction times win the day.

THANK GOD! Seriously the most hyped over rated MP experience since HAZE?! my god I get headshotted accross the map then go an inch away from someone and shoot there head and no headshot, worst hit detection ever, and the shoot your whole clip then jump and grenade, grenade is EPIC fail. Also, no way you can do anything in a 2v1 situation unless you got like a rocket launcher or something.

Man I really wish I had a job right now so I could get myself a copy of this game :( I have played and beat every game so far.

I've died by headshot a fair few times so the hit detection can't be that bad :/

Nobody said you couldn't get headshots, it's a problem when you aim for the head and nothing seems to happen except normal damage. Happens way too often. The headshots seems to happen at random times when you are barely even aiming for the head, I get more headshots aiming at the body and legs than actually going for the head.

It feels like the first Bad Company, that game had the worst hit detection I've ever come across .

You know, the first half or so of the missions (up to 5 or 6) were exceptionally good. They had atmosphere, there was a style about them. But now that I'm getting closer to the end (I'm just now on mission 9), they're reverting to the old, bland Halo style. The level design is getting dramatically worse (some of the levels are basically just multiplayer maps, as someone else said earlier), and there's really no atmosphere at all anymore. I'm extremely letdown in these later missions so far.

I've died by headshot a fair few times so the hit detection can't be that bad :/

Trust me it's bad, I get people on the head and get no headshot, then i get lower then there torso and free headshot, and the other day for some reason a match ended early, team slayer the score was like 29-26 and it just ended and I got a temp ban when I hadn't even left any games? dunno what that was about

Yup, same here. My head shots land and hit without issue as well. Hit detection has been spot on.

I was able to get few good games out of it (I sucked as always though :p) But don't know why my router kept disconnecting whenever I played the multiplayer. While on single player and in general it was always working fine.

Wouldn't make sense as nothing else indicates high latency, green bars across the board and we even do "Good Connection" search criteria - Just seems like poor hit boxes.

Well, to get to the source of this:

1) Are you compensating for Bloom?

2) Are you host in every match?

3) What and where specifically does this happen most and with what weapons?

I've been doing amazingly well with both the sniper and DMR in terms of headshots so I honestly have no idea why you are experiencing such poor hitboxes. Unless you've been dooped several times by the hologram.

I noticed it in the campaign too, especially with the Hunters; I'd aim at the head all the time with the shield gone and it does nothing.

I noticed it in the campaign too, especially with the Hunters; I'd aim at the head all the time with the shield gone and it does nothing.

You don't go for headshots on Hunters (edit: well you can but it takes longer at least in my experience). You break off their armor from their back and then you can either shoot their back (you'll see an ambery liquid flowing out from each bullet) or you can melee the exposed back and you're done.

You don't go for headshots on Hunters. You break off their armor from their back and then you can either shoot their back (you'll see an ambery liquid flowing out from each bullet) or you can melee the exposed back and you're done.

Well every time I try and do that they wisen up turn around...xD

Well every time I try and do that they wisen up turn around...xD

I should upload some clips I have from it. If you have **** around you, you can crouch behind it then sort sneak attack on them. There's a few maps on Reach you're able to do this on. Otherwise if you have a shotgun (majority of the Hunter ones did), that will help with it a bit.

You should really find it A LOT easier since you can sprint around them non-stop to get it.

I think that Sethos has the same frustration as me with Halo 3 (didn't buy Reach yet but got in the beta) : overtrained players!!!

You search a game ... wait 5 seconds before doing that ... search players between 10 seconds and 2 minutes ... wait 1 minute for map selection ... wait 5 seconds for game launching ... wait for map loading ... wait for game start ... and then finally you are in a game with overtrained players that already know every centimeter of the map. F***ing frustrating.

I'm not sure I will be buying Reach although I was/is a big fan of Halo MP until Halo 3, heck I even have a 2 meter tal statue of Master Chief in my room. I might buy it just for SP.