Geek Squad Wouldn't Honor My Netbook's Protection Plan

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill

Neowinian

• 1,049 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:35

Here go the retards at Geek Squad again, seems like every other day they do something stupid:

An anonymous reader said a Best Buy manager refused to replace his broken laptop and threw him out of the store twice when he tried to argue. The reader had even gone so far as to purchase an $80 extended warranty. He writes:

I've seen examples of Best Buy's poor service on the Consumerist, but what I faced last weekend at the [redacted] Best Buy in [redacted] blows them all out of the water.

My four month-old netbook's touchpad and power adapter all stopped working. I took the machine into Best Buy for service under the Geek Squad's Black Tie Protection Plan on Saturday, and demonstrated its problems. The manager of the Geek Squad informed me that installing Ubuntu Linux on my machine voided my warranty, and that I could only have it serviced if the original Windows installation was restored. Furthermore, he insisted that the touchpad and power adapter had been broken because I installed Linux. Another employee ridiculed me for insisting that Linux couldn't cause a hardware issue, saying "Sure, I don't know anything, I just work for Geek Squad!" The entire department was hostile, acting as if I was now a problem rather than a customer. I waited at the desk to see the store manager, who gave the impression that if I reinstalled windows I could return the computer.

That night, I bought an external CD drive, dug out the system restore disc for the netbook, and reinstalled Windows.

On Sunday, I brought the computer back, proudly demonstrating that the machine was in its original state and that the hardware problems still persisted. The Geek Squad manager shot forward, looked me in the eyes, and said that Linux had permanently voided my warranty, and again insisted Linux had caused the computer's hardware problems. I could "lie" to another Best Buy and take it back, but could not do so at his store. I recalled from our previous conversation that he made no claim the void was permanent, and was again called a liar. I asked if the warranty actually said such a thing and, after the manager answered in the affirmative, demanded to see the warranty. At this point, my entire confidence in the $80 protection plan I had purchased for a $300 netbook had been shattered, and I had to know just how flimsy this so-called protection really was.

http://consumerist.c...ction-plan.html

#2 Minifig

Minifig

Kun Det Bedste Er Godt Nok!

• 7,282 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:38

I would sue.

#3 cabron

cabron

CФDΞИДMΞ: MICҜΞУ

• 2,403 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:40

Jesus, only grandpa will buy services from these *******s of the Geek Squad. They apparently hire any idiot that know how to operate a computer :laugh:

#4 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:42

Another great reason not to buy that stupid, useless so-called "extended warranty".

#5 vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

• 36,192 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:42

This is when he needs to call the corporate number and escalate the issue immediately. You can't let the idiots who don't know anything screw you over that easily.

I work for Best Buy

#6 OP Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill

Neowinian

• 1,049 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:48

This is when he needs to call the corporate number and escalate the issue immediately. You can't let the idiots who don't know anything screw you over that easily.

I work for Best Buy

Read the rest of the article on the source's web site.

#7 fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj

fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj

Neowinian Senior

• 2,791 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:48

Linux actually did break a laptop once because it didn't have drivers to control the fan and spun it out of control, but that's beside the point.

Sue.

#8 vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

• 36,192 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 23:25

Read the rest of the article on the source's web site.

Woops. I only skimmed and missed that part.

#9 Kondrath

Kondrath

Neowinian Senior

• 1,941 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 00:00

I got pretty frustrated reading about this. All of the best buys near me do this same thing to their customers. They're not as screwed up as these guys, but they never bother to fix anything. My friend's laptop's speakers stopped functioning and they refused to fix them. But they offered him a crappier, less powerful laptop as a replacement. I ended up fixing his speakers. I've just had so many problems with them. I tell my friends to ALWAYS come to me before Geek Squad. In every instance I've ever known, they've never been able to fix or replace any of my friends problems, whereas I have been able to do so. I'm not some IT guy or anything, most everything I know I learned from right here on Neowin... But still. Seems like they just hire kids who don't know anything.

I applied there and got an interview and that's as far as it got. Probably because I told the lady "I've been able to fix computers that your employees can not." when she asked my "tech level" :rofl:

#10 Berserk87

Berserk87

Neowinian Senior

• 10,196 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 00:19

best buy employee :D

#11 pasty2k2

pasty2k2

Wild pasty2k2 appeared!

• 871 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 00:32

Sounds malicious to me, sue the hell out of them - this sort of thing needs to stop, and the culprits shamed in public. Ban extended warranties, period.

#12 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:33

Did I ever mention how I wanted to upgrade my laptop's memory and CPU, so I bought the parts, took it to Geek Squids and had them do it for me? I didn't want to risk damaging anything so I was willing to pay their fee. Well they did it for me, but they neglected to upgrade the firmware for the CPU so since then my laptop shows it's running on battery even when plugged in. I had to install Vista by removing the battery and running the install otherwise Windows would not install. I even explained the problem and showed them, they just looked at me dumbfounded unwilling to correct the problem. Computer experts they are not. I had told them they would need to upgrade firmware when I brought the laptop in.

#13 AltimaXP

AltimaXP

Neowinian Senior

• 5,438 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:44

Did I ever mention how I wanted to upgrade my laptop's memory and CPU, so I bought the parts, took it to Geek Squids and had them do it for me? I didn't want to risk damaging anything so I was willing to pay their fee. Well they did it for me, but they neglected to upgrade the firmware for the CPU so since then my laptop shows it's running on battery even when plugged in. I had to install Vista by removing the battery and running the install otherwise Windows would not install. I even explained the problem and showed them, they just looked at me dumbfounded unwilling to correct the problem. Computer experts they are not. I had told them they would need to upgrade firmware when I brought the laptop in.

um...

1. they arnt hardware moders
2. Why would you have GS do that?
3. why didnt you flash it yourself?

#14 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,863 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:49

Linux actually did break a laptop once because it didn't have drivers to control the fan and spun it out of control, but that's beside the point.

Sue.

software controled fans are idiotic... all cooling fans are supose to be hardware controlled by a thermasistor that tells them how hot a chip its supose to cool is... some of them have manual software controls that can override that... but you should never have to do that... Acer One 150 is an example of this... its fans are hardware controlled but you can also control them on the software end if you really wanted to... but having to install a driver to control a fan is idiotic it should be automatic if there is no software controller present

#15 pasty2k2

pasty2k2

Wild pasty2k2 appeared!

• 871 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:02

Thermasistor... :D