Digitech Whammy

Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah

BOSS TU-2 Tuner

BOSS CH-1 Chorus

BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor

BOSS DD-6 Delay

MXR 10-Band EQ

Got a few videos on Youtube :)

I just happened to bump into this thread at a time I wanted to start to learn to play the guitar. I'd be interested morei n rock/metal type tunes, but would you recommend starting with a cheap electric or going for an accoustic first?

Also, any recommendations on particular guitars for a newbie on a budget (<?150 really)?

You should get a Squire Strat .. those usually come in packs at retailers ( not sure for how much). Those packs include an Fender amp, strap, tuner.. pretty much everything you need to get started. (Y)

Awesome, they look pretty cheap on the web, and look like a nice starting point for it. (Y) I'll check those out for sure.

but in all honesty, you should go to a guitar shop and feel the guitar. Even if you don't know how to play (I guess) just hold the guitar and feel it. If it feels right to you it should be good. As for me, the only reason I want to change my guitar is that the floating tremolo system. It's a great system, but when it comes down to tuning, it's a huge hassle. It is just not the type for me. I always tune up and down for different songs.. and it's just too difficult for me. So you should start out with a fixed bridge.. it's much better for beginners.

I used to play quite often when i was 15/16, i was into my parkway drive, vanna and other fast shouty things aha.

its died down since then though, i rarely ever play now since my brother ruined my pedal, my leads and my amp was never any good anyway.

if i could afford it id like to sort out all my equipment, but i just cant really be bothered to be honest.

I have a Fender Stratocaster and a Jackson Randy Rhoads (which i cannot stand, but i asked for it for christmas for somereason, but im thinking of selling it.)

a zoom gfx-1 pedal, which my brother has utterly destroyed and now im stuck with horrible presets or terrible ones i made when i was 14, since most of the buttons on it are missing or dont work ;(

and my amp isnt even worth mentioning since its not even a guitar amp :p

if i ever do play, its ethier underoath or alexisonfire these days.

Awesome, they look pretty cheap on the web, and look like a nice starting point for it. (Y) I'll check those out for sure.

I'd have to recommend against the cheap Squires. My nephew got one a year or so ago and it was complete junk. The neck wasn't straight, the fretwork looked like it was done by a blind walrus, and the tuners were the quality of something you would get out of a gumball machine. It would go out of tune right away, and fed back like a mofo. Total junk. Any amp you get in a pack like that is going to be garbage too.

I'm going to once again recommend an Agile AL-2000. I know I keep "pimping" them, but there's a reason for that. I've been playing 15 years, and in that time I've played a lot of guitars. From $100 Wallmart specials, to $4000+ Gibson's and PRS's. Of any guitar I've ever played, Agile's are the best value for the money. Look what the $200 AL-2000 gets you:

Mahogany body

Flamed/quilted maple cap

Tune-O-Matic bridge

Set in neck

Rosewood fretboard

Body/neck binding

Grover 18:1 tuners (some of the best on the market, most inexpensive guitars come with crap tuners)

Wax potted ceramic pickups

If you were to go into a guitar shop today and look at guitars with the same features, you'd be looking at $600+ Epiphones. The AL-2000 costs $200. No joke. I have no idea how they do it for that price, but they do :p. I guess they save money because they don't advertise and have no storefront.

Guitars

Ibanez JS-1200

ESP LTD H-302

ESP LTD M-300

ESP LTD H-207

Ovation CSE-44 Electro-Acoustic

Fender Squire Strat

Amps

Peavey JSX 212 Combo

Roland Microcube

Pedals

Digitech Whammy

Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah

BOSS TU-2 Tuner

BOSS CH-1 Chorus

BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor

BOSS DD-6 Delay

MXR 10-Band EQ

Got a few videos on Youtube :)

Nice rig, man. How do you like the microcube? My bro has one and I love it. It's super fun to play though. I don't believe how good such a tiny little amp sounds.

I'd have to recommend against the cheap Squires. My nephew got one a year or so ago and it was complete junk. The neck wasn't straight, the fretwork looked like it was done by a blind walrus, and the tuners were the quality of something you would get out of a gumball machine. It would go out of tune right away, and fed back like a mofo. Total junk. Any amp you get in a pack like that is going to be garbage too.

I'm going to once again recommend an Agile AL-2000. I know I keep "pimping" them, but there's a reason for that. I've been playing 15 years, and in that time I've played a lot of guitars. From $100 Wallmart specials, to $4000+ Gibson's and PRS's. Of any guitar I've ever played, Agile's are the best value for the money. Look what the $200 AL-2000 gets you:

Mahogany body

Flamed/quilted maple cap

Tune-O-Matic bridge

Set in neck

Rosewood fretboard

Body/neck binding

Grover 18:1 tuners (some of the best on the market, most inexpensive guitars come with crap tuners)

Wax potted ceramic pickups

If you were to go into a guitar shop today and look at guitars with the same features, you'd be looking at $600+ Epiphones. The AL-2000 costs $200. No joke. I have no idea how they do it for that price, but they do :p. I guess they save money because they don't advertise and have no storefront.

Well obviously if he had the money I would recommend something else. It's a good start for beginners. I know the guitar is cheap.. but hey what do you expect as a beginner's guitar for a low price? It pretty much includes everything anyway. So when he's had enough of the Squire, he can always upgrade to a better guitar like your Agile. Same goes with amp.

Well obviously if he had the money I would recommend something else. It's a good start for beginners. I know the guitar is cheap.. but hey what do you expect as a beginner's guitar for a low price? It pretty much includes everything anyway. So when he's had enough of the Squire, he can always upgrade to a better guitar like your Agile. Same goes with amp.

I understand where you're coming from. But a Squire is what $150 or so? I'm saying spend the extra $50 and get a way nicer guitar. For a beginner, he'll enjoy it much more with a nicer guitar that stays in tune and sound good, rather than some cheap junk. The guitar will go out of tune and he won't know it, and he'll think he sounds like crap :p

I can go up or down form my budget, I mean I have ?120 right now, and I'm not in any particular rush to spend out. I only limited my budget really because I don't want to spend out a lot if, just say, I played it for a month, hated it, and never went back to it. No point wasting money. Cheers for the suggestions so far btw.

I have dabbled over the years. My father had a guitar when I was born, a Fender Strat to be exact, so at a young age that was my first intro. At 12 I joined my first band, in which I played Bass, so being we did not have much money my dad traded his Strat in to get me all of my equipment. Man cannot even remember what model I had of the bass, an Ibanez maybe, I honestly do not remember.

Because I always felt bad for him trading it the Strat, I eventually traded my Bass equipment in and put some money towards a 1978 Les Paul Starburst as a guitar we could both share. It was KICK ASS. Had that for years, then I got into making my own hip hop beats, and since samplers were not cheap at all, well at least good ones, needed something to trade in. Yep, had to trade in the Les Paul, and to this day it is my biggest regret musically, but at the time you are not thinking that, you are just thinking what equipment you need.

Then got back into doing the heavier music again, sure enough I went full circle and played bass, so once again I needed a whole new rig. Still have my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, and my Hartke Head and Cabinet. I also still have a Takamine acoustic I somehow acquired over the years.

So basically with Bass I can hold my own and play in a band, but barely, and with guitar for the various bands I have been in over the years, I have written a whole lot of riffs, the one band I was responsible for about 33% of the riffs, but I could never play guitar good enough or consistent enough to be a guitar player in a band, I am more of a riff type of player.

And as funny as this may sound to some, I owe being able to play both Bass and Guitar to the fact I took piano lessons from the ages of 5-12. It gave me an incredible foundation, and while I eventually forgot how to read sheet music, I know notes, chords, etc. etc.

I can go up or down form my budget, I mean I have ?120 right now, and I'm not in any particular rush to spend out. I only limited my budget really because I don't want to spend out a lot if, just say, I played it for a month, hated it, and never went back to it. No point wasting money. Cheers for the suggestions so far btw.

Do yourself a favour - buy yourself a decent used guitar at the ?200-250 mark, which, if you decide you don't like it, you can resell for pretty much what you paid.

Much better than buying a new cheap one for ?120 which has 0 resale value and will play like crap.

I am now a proud owner of a Godin Velocity! :D

and I said goodbye to the Ibanez suchapaininthebuttfloydrose. lol.

4260759582_e529b746e4.jpg

Retails at $799.99 CAD got it for 527.00 CAD

I am now a proud owner of a Godin Velocity! :D

and I said goodbye to the Ibanez suchapaininthebuttfloydrose. lol.

4260759582_e529b746e4.jpg

Retails at $799.99 CAD got it for 527.00 CAD

Nice, man!! HNGD!! (Happy New Guitar Day). Congrats. She looks like a sweet axe :)

Nice rig, man. How do you like the microcube? My bro has one and I love it. It's super fun to play though. I don't believe how good such a tiny little amp sounds.

Yeah man the Microcube is a fantastic amp! I love putting it in my bag and wandering around the streets rocking out :p

Nice, man!! HNGD!! (Happy New Guitar Day). Congrats. She looks like a sweet axe :)

Thanks guys, I"m really enjoying it. :D.. much better than the Ibanez for sure.

Just wanted to let anyone who is looking at picking up a guitar and starting to learn (like me) the Guitar In 30 Seconds Course is now available as a digital download for only $49.95 for the next 10 days and it gives you the following;

* 20 hours- of video Guitar Lessons.

* 5 Easy To Understand Fingerboard Systems

* Learn on acoustic or electric guitar

* Learn anywhere you have a DVD player and a guitar

* 60 Second Workouts – Practice along with me

* Lessons Cover Rhythm and Lead Guitar Playing Equally

* Learn Scale To Chord Relationships For Soloing Over Chords

* Figure Out The Chords To Songs By Ear

* Spend Less Time Learning and More Time Playing

* Fill In The Holes Your Understanding

LINK

it's honestly not that hard. I learned it by myself while watching how others play just make sure you bend your fingers on the strings will help you alot good luck!

Nice rig there. Have you tried the Seymour Duncan Blackouts? I prefer them over EMG's. They're a little more "natural" sounding as well as being more defined and clearer. They have the push and cut through as actives, but the warmth of passives. I actually find my inexpensive Agile with the Duncans sounds better than my Gibson with the EMG's.

Thanks, I've heard the blackouts are good. Apparently if you wire another 9v battery in series to the EMG's to provide 18v then you get a more natrual tone as well.

Just for the people who are getting their 1st or 2nd guitars: I just purchased a Fender USA Telecaster Highway One off ebay for ?365. You don't need mega-megabucks to have a good guitar, but whatever you do - don't skimp. As someone said before - those copy strats you get for ?50 won't resell well.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitars

Dean VMNT1 Dave Mustaine Signature V 2007 - My main guitar for 2 years now, love the thing

dean026.jpg

Gibson SG Deluxe - I think this is a deluxe, and I think its from '72 hehehe

SgBody.jpg

Epiphone G-400 2003 - i think

Aria Pro II Vanguard - with a broken trem block, but still playable!

Cruise Stratocaster copy - (first guitar)

Yamaha Acoustic - Uncles old acoustic from the 70s

Chantry acoustic

3 No-name classical/spanish guitars

Shine P-Bass

Amps

ENGL Fireball E625 60watt into Framus FR212CB

Vox AD50VT

Laney Hardcore Max 10 (First amp!)

WEM All tube bass amp - Don't have too much info on this one, think it's from the 70s and it sounds unbelievable NO MATTER what you do to the controls :D

Amptech Bass amp/mobile PA thing - this thing has bass and keyboard inputs, I use it for bass practise but its nowehere near as good as the WEM

Effects

Dunlop Crybaby Slash SW-95

Boss TU-2 tuner - Typically I bought one of these recently after debating it for a few years and then they bring out the TU-3.....

Electro Harmonix Memory Boy analog delay pedal - most recent purchase.

I've been playing for 7 years, started out playing rock n roll type stuff really, simple 12 bar and then moved onto playing more metal stuff over the years, now I play in a few bands. Guitar is my main thing but I also play Drums in a stoner metal band and was playing Bass in a death metal band until we split up just after christmas. At the moment I've decided to challenge myself into learning the solo from 'How the Story Ends' from Megadeth's new album Endgame, and it's gonna take me a bloody long while :D

On the topic of actives, I've got Seymour Duncan Livewires in my mustaine v (they're mustaine sig pups) and they really dont sound all that different from passives, they just have an awesome power and clarity to them. I love 'em, definitely prefer them to EMGs (never owned EMGs, but played them a lot).

Guitars

Dean VMNT1 Dave Mustaine Signature V 2007 - My main guitar for 2 years now, love the thing

dean026.jpg

Gibson SG Deluxe - I think this is a deluxe, and I think its from '72 hehehe

SgBody.jpg

Epiphone G-400 2003 - i think

Aria Pro II Vanguard - with a broken trem block, but still playable!

Cruise Stratocaster copy - (first guitar)

Yamaha Acoustic - Uncles old acoustic from the 70s

Chantry acoustic

3 No-name classical/spanish guitars

Shine P-Bass

Amps

ENGL Fireball E625 60watt into Framus FR212CB

Vox AD50VT

Laney Hardcore Max 10 (First amp!)

WEM All tube bass amp - Don't have too much info on this one, think it's from the 70s and it sounds unbelievable NO MATTER what you do to the controls :D

Amptech Bass amp/mobile PA thing - this thing has bass and keyboard inputs, I use it for bass practise but its nowehere near as good as the WEM

Effects

Dunlop Crybaby Slash SW-95

Boss TU-2 tuner - Typically I bought one of these recently after debating it for a few years and then they bring out the TU-3.....

Electro Harmonix Memory Boy analog delay pedal - most recent purchase.

I've been playing for 7 years, started out playing rock n roll type stuff really, simple 12 bar and then moved onto playing more metal stuff over the years, now I play in a few bands. Guitar is my main thing but I also play Drums in a stoner metal band and was playing Bass in a death metal band until we split up just after christmas. At the moment I've decided to challenge myself into learning the solo from 'How the Story Ends' from Megadeth's new album Endgame, and it's gonna take me a bloody long while :D

On the topic of actives, I've got Seymour Duncan Livewires in my mustaine v (they're mustaine sig pups) and they really dont sound all that different from passives, they just have an awesome power and clarity to them. I love 'em, definitely prefer them to EMGs (never owned EMGs, but played them a lot).

Killer rig, dude!! How do you like the Fireball? I've never heard one myself, but they are supposed to be KILLER!!

As far as the Duncans, I like the Livewires too, but I much prefer the Blackouts. They are definitely a lot more like EMG's than Livewires, but they are "warmer" and "rounder" sounding than EMG's.

Edit: Oh, and also on the subject of tuners, I know you've already made your purchase, but I have to say the Korg Pitchblack RULES!! :p

I love the fireball, I was looking for one at the right price for the best part of last year, eventually building a list of 5 or 6 amps i'd take instead if the chance came about, when I found a buy it now on eBay and bought it within 10 minutes of finding it. I basically wanted more gain than I'd need for the next few years and it delivers, Never had to take it past 12oclock on the gain. It can clear up in a flash too either by rolling the volume back on the guitar (even the actives clean up nicely) or a simple channel change or whatever :). I'd heard they were built or 'aimed' at being used with Celestion vintage 30s, so I bought the framus cab for the celestions inside and I'll tell you, this thing screams. I can use it here at home without disturbing people in the next room, and it retains a good amount of the tube drive, or I can crank it up and literally shake the walls.... :woot:

I havent heard the blackouts, but from what you say there I think I'll probably prefer the Livewires still. Theres a certain timbre EMGs have, at least I've always heard it and it doesnt ring quite right with me -or something, so when I played the livewires and they didnt sound ANYTHING like EMGs I loved it. Beefy passives basically, maybe even just loud passives :p

Im contemplating the idea of buying a Kahler 7300 (or 7200 - the studmount one) to put on my Epi SG, basically since ive never had a locking trem and I dont wanna buy a USA jackson and hate it...

guys

anybody here use a condenser mic under $100 for recordings??

i think ill invest in one if i see any good mic here for under rs8000

:)

Want my honest advice? If you have a way of recording with Phantom Powered mics (48V) then pick up this set http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-2003603S-Microphone-Pac-Plus?sku=273167

I own more expensive mics than these that don't sound nearly as good