GNU / Linux January 2010 Desktops Thread

I finally upgraded to Karmic a few days ago. It's awesome :)

Elementary theme (icons, gtk colors, emerald) -- thanks to srn and others who pointed me to this great theme. Docky in 3D mode with grayscale theme, custom panel clock, and a custom nowplaying (since I couldn't get nowplaying screenlet nor gloobus preview to work with Exaile 0.3.x, I made a combination of a simple conky script and Exaile's own desktop cover plugin). I have no idea where I got the wallpaper from.

Click on a workspace to see its screenshot:

expo1.pngexpo2.pngexpo3x.pngexpo4.png

Jan.2010

gtk:...similar, mcity:...ubuntuday, icons:...elementary-monochrome

docky:...plasticglass48, covergloobus:...boxoftricks

:p and of course the distro is karmic

post-22868-1263949967_thumb.jpg

Haahaha, I love your wallpapers, but this one gets extra points. Could you share it?

Thanks! :)

Yessir - here you go.

post-46085-1263951869_thumb.jpg

I use Ubuntu as a web development environment (tools and server) through vmware workstation 7. Normally I use the Unity feature, so I don't really see the Linux desktop that often.

post-237291-1263967215_thumb.jpg

I use Ubuntu as a web development environment (tools and server) through vmware workstation 7. Normally I use the Unity feature, so I don't really see the Linux desktop that often.

I used Linux mainly because I have had bad experiences with Windows :(

can anyone tell me what docks are mainly being used in everyones desktop here?

Im new to linux :alien:

The big three: Docky, AWN, Cairo-Dock. Aforementioned wbar is very light, and should come in handy if you're using an older computer.

I personally use Docky in my Gnome session, but it's still in alpha, and features are being added daily (it used to be a part of Gnome-Do, an absolutely amazing application launcher, so right now they're going through transitions, and not all of the docklets have made it yet), and AWN in my Compiz-Standalone session, because it can replace the default panels completely.

Screenshot-3-1-1.png

This is my desktop. It's the gnome environment with AWN as the dock and Conky as the system monitor. Audacious2 is the media player and I took the screenshot while using Pidgin to talk to my brother on Google Talk.

^Is that Conky you're using (upper part of the screen)? I was thinking about removing AWN completely, but it'd confuse my housemates, still I'd like to give living taskbar/dock-less a shot.