• Sophos
    • Symantec (Corporate)
    • Trend
    • VBA32
    • Zone
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other (please specify)

Question

An updated "Best Antivirus" for 2010. Please use this as a reference when researching antivirus utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy Voting.

I gotta say the new Avast 5.0 is really nice. Very light on resources (at least, so far) and scans nice and fast. Don't know how good their detection rates are with the new version, but I'm sure it's decent enough for the little I'll use it over the next day or two lol

Still, MSE and NOD32 get my vote as always :p

just like the other thread, MSE should be undisputed right now for its value and usability.

nod32 would've been my pick before MSE was released ;3

does MSE carry anti-spyware? I decide to not renewal spysweeper on 1/31. I look for best spyware software for freeware if MSE is with anti-spyware.

I believe Windows Defender is integrated into MSE; someone correct me if I'm wrong :p

Edited by CronicHazel

MSE is inarguably the best Antivirus product (at least for me, I reccomend it to everyone and use it on all my PC's).

This poll seems to reflect this so far too!

does MSE carry anti-spyware? I decide to not renewal spysweeper on 1/31. I look for best spyware software for freeware if MSE is with anti-spyware.

Yes it does. Copied from the MSE page at Microsoft.

"About Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software."

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Edited by jdegree

Has to be MSE for me.

It sits there running ever so quietly just doing exactly what it should, no annoying, intrusive pop ups etc, its rather easy to use and is pretty fast

I tested Microsoft Security Essentials, but I uninstalled it because some "mysterious" CPU usage on idle time, plus another long CPU usage on every update (also at idle time) Yes, I care about CPU usage at idle.

I am using ESET NOD32, for years.

About MSE; I have no idea what this CPU usage at idle is about, but I'm just thinking that if the program is running its necessary tasks when your CPU is idle, isn't it better than when you need to use your CPU at a crucial moment? :p

For me it's Vipre Antivirus. The main reason is the fact that it's lightweight and that it has some nice features for us laptop users, like disabling auto updates as soon as you're working on the battery. Which can be useful when you need to put on a presentation.

Well, for me it will be NOD32. I am using Symantec now 'cause the company I am working for is using that Symantec and it's pretty smooth and as good as NOD32.

Windows Security Essentials for me. Free, fast, stable, and it keeps my system clean and doesn't nag me like some other antiviruses do.

Overall it's the best antivirus I've come across for free hands down.