Relaunch of Neowin.net Friday Jan 15th 2010

Just to alleviate the confusion. Is the relaunch on the 15th, but it's coming up on the 17th.. right?

The way I understand it the relaunch starts at 12:00 GMT on the 15th and is going to take most of Friday. The new site should be up and running by late Friday/early Saturday GMT.

News posts have already been converted to work fully on the new news system, it is a major upgrade and if you like Neowin now, you'll love it on the new system.

The forum however is a bit different. We have around 10 Million posts to convert from 2.x.x to be able to work with IPB 3.x. A test has already taken place and I can say that it takes just under 2 days to convert! Dave isn't on now but I'm planning on asking him if we can append the rest of the post data on Friday rather than having to run it completely again.

To address what people have been saying in this thread, the migration script for news takes just over an hour (needs to be run again to get the latest stories, comments etc), and the script for the forums takes about 5 hours or so. We can run the two at the same time, so don't add 2 hours onto 5 hours and assume that's how long it will take :p These times are somewhat rough, so it could take longer than that, and I am also taking the opportunity of the downtime to upgrade apache and php on all of our servers, so that will add to the time slightly.

While it is true that converting the posts will take around 2 days, this can be done in the background after we re-launch the site. There will be minor issues such as quotes displaying incorrectly until they are updated, but nothing that prevents us from using the site. (IPB changed the HTML used to render quotes, and our skin is setup to work with that, rather than the old html)

All things going well, we should be back online on Friday evening (UK time)

All things going well, we should be back online on Friday evening (UK time)

Nice. Good luck with the upgrade guys, I hope everything goes smoothly. It sounds like you have worked really hard on the redesign. Super excited for the new mobile theme too!

Awesomeness Neowin! A day after my birthday... Could you just release it on the 14th, and I can never say Neowin NEVER gave me anything on my birthday? :)

Keep up the good work!

What is theoretically the server has a power failure or something during the upgrade and you was close to finishing? Would you have to start again or would it carry on from where it left off? 2 days to convert :cry: Can't go without Neowin that long!

I'm pretty sure most datacentres NOT run by monkeys have battery backups/generators. ;)

Cool. This is really exciting. I look forward to the updates to the main site of course, but the new mobile site is really exciting as well. I'm on there all the time. I can't wait to see what's new. :)

The upgrade is planned to start at 12PM GMT which will be for most US visitors, the early morning hours of Friday.

I knew there had to be a reason for me working 3d shift. Now I found it. :laugh:

By the time i get home, it may be complete.

It is all looking rather good and i cannot wait to be posting on it and have it be the real site rather than a demo :p

I think part of me will die when the site goes down. :(

It's nice that we have a solid date though. (Y)

I'm sure I'll be able to find something to do while this place is down.

Like...

[TG Reference] Fill up the loo.