How can I delete this partition?

I'm trying to delete a partition on my hard drive that contains my old Vista installation. It was originally the main partition, then I created a new one for Windows 7 (during the beta), and when Vista started going a bit hayware (and when the RTM version of 7 came out), I moved over the the 7 partition. I've spent the last few months continuously shrinking the Vista partition then moving files over to the 7 one, and so on, and I finally moved all the files over a couple of hours ago, so now, I want to delete the Vista partition.

The problem is when I try to delete it in Computer Management, I get the error message "Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume".

The status for both partitions are:

Seven (C:) - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Vista (D:) - Healthy (System, Primary Partition)

Does anyone know how I can delete the Vista partition? In terms of programs, I've got EASEUS Partition Manager Professional v4, and I've tried that, but the Delete option is blanked out.

Since your Windows 7 is already set to primary, boot, and active (might need to change it to a system partition), you don't have much to do. Get a gparted livecd, boot it up, and delete the Vista partition. You can then resize the Windows 7 partition. This can take a LONG time. After that's finish and you reboot, Windows 7 will complain and do a disk check.

I had the same scenario when I was dual booting with Windows XP to test out Windows 7.

Windows 7 will complain and do a disk check.

Will it still boot up fine if I decide to skip the disk check? I don't want to go through it again, as the last one took several hours.

Will it still boot up fine if I decide to skip the disk check? I don't want to go through it again, as the last one took several hours.

Probably could but it's always good to let it run if you are ever messing with the disk partitioning on a drive.

• 6 months later...