Reputation system enabled & explained

Am I blind?

How do I vote for someone?

Or am I not allowed to because I have 100% warning? I'm not restricted anywhere, just have a high warning level.

Click the green button.

Screen+shot+2010-01-23+at+13.24.11.png

Click the green button.

Screen+shot+2010-01-23+at+13.24.11.png

Thanks, and well, I just had to click it for you now :p

Thought it was on the profile pages.

Good system to have in place, disregards abuse, and gives people who put hard work into helping people on the board even more inspiration (not that most of them need it (Y))

It would be good to be able to click your reputation and see what posts people have liked? I dunno how much strain that would put on the server but surely not that much different than "show posts by member".

Anyone agree?

It's just you look at the stat sometimes and think what has someone given me rep for? :laugh:

edit: Just to clarify, I mean seeing the posts only, I respect the privacy of those handing out rep, we don't need to know that.

It would be good to be able to click your reputation and see what posts people have liked? I dunno how much strain that would put on the server but surely not that much different than "show posts by member".

Anyone agree?

It's just you look at the stat sometimes and think what has someone given me rep for? :laugh:

Agree, would be nice to see what you actually got + Rep'd for, though I have this suspicion I won't get many of them :laugh:

EDIT: The lack of grace time on editing is effin' annoying!

• Like 2

Agree, would be nice to see what you actually got + Rep'd for, though I have this suspicion I won't get many of them :laugh:

Well I gave you one for agreeing with me :p

But I do think it would be a good idea if it could be implemented, let's you see what posts/topics/guides people find most useful from you. Like a list that would arrange itself by the posts you've had the most votes on first.

• Like 2

Great news, the forum is slowly coming together.

Before you know it Neowin will rule your lives...oh wait...it already has for some of you.

*cough*Rappy*cough*

• Like 1

Agree with AB that being able to see which posts people liked would help increase posts quality too :)

Anyway, nice system. (Y)

lol.

There isn?t going to be any increase in post quality. People will post the same crap and only get upvotes for it by their internet-buddies.

i.e. circle jerk political posts from the right will be upvoted by the right and posts from the left will be upvoted by the left. Where is the increase in quality? (RWI posts applies to the rest of the forums as well)

This is a useless system without negative ratings and it?s only going to get abused from here on out.

Good job.

lol.

There isn't going to be any increase in post quality. People will post the same crap and only get upvotes for it by their internet-buddies.

i.e. circle jerk political posts from the right will be upvoted by the right and posts from the left will be upvoted by the left. Where is the increase in quality? (RWI posts applies to the rest of the forums as well)

This is a useless system without negative ratings and it's only going to get abused from here on out.

Good job.

lolwut.

One thing I can tell you about life people would rather make their thoughts clear about moaning/whining/ranting/fighting/getting into arguments than ever saying thanks/I appreciate that or going out their way to click a button to show appreciation. That's generalised society for you, much more willing to be upfront and belittle/downvote someone, than to upvote someone of use.

Negative ratings, now THEY would be abused. I'd be at about -33423444, seeing as I've already ran into my 12 dupe accounts ratings all my topics 1 star in the past.

People would use negative rating not based on the quality of the post, but because they don't like someone and/or their opinion.

• Like 3

lol.

There isn?t going to be any increase in post quality. People will post the same crap and only get upvotes for it by their internet-buddies.

This is a useless system without negative ratings and it?s only going to get abused from here on out.

Good job.

Akuma, complaining?! UMPOSSIBLE!

can't see the benefit from this system other then making certain members look good and Akuma has a point, people will get their online friends to bump them for the lols.

it's there and my view isn't going to do anything but I don't like it :)

• Like 2

can't see the benefit from this system other then making certain members look good and Akuma has a point, people will get their online friends to bump them for the lols.

it's there and my view isn't going to do anything but I don't like it :)

Online friends to bump?

I have nearly 25k posts on this board and like what, 3 "friends"? By that I mean people I'll talk to outside of the board.

I think you overestimate online friendships, people like Sethos/DM who I do class as friends online ARE only going to vote topics I post that are worthy or ratings, why the heck would they want to bump my karma, they'd want to downgrade it :laugh:

People are looking into this too much as an e-penis competition, its more about the posts themselves, someone sees a guide with 65 ratings and thinks oh this might be worth reading, not "ohhh Charlie got 65 points from this".

Negative ratings, now THEY would be abused. I'd be at about -33423444, seeing as I've already ran into my 12 dupe accounts ratings all my topics 1 star in the past.

I wonder why...

People would use negative rating not based on the quality of the post, but because they don't like someone and/or their opinion.

Put a system that shows you who downvoted/upvoted you and a reason why. This helps on improving posts. If someone is specifically targeting your posts, you'll be able to see who and report accordingly. E.g. +5-10 downvotes in a couple of minutes on different posts of yours.