Reputation system enabled & explained

It would be good to be able to click your reputation and see what posts people have liked? I dunno how much strain that would put on the server but surely not that much different than "show posts by member".

Anyone agree?

It's just you look at the stat sometimes and think what has someone given me rep for? :laugh:

edit: Just to clarify, I mean seeing the posts only, I respect the privacy of those handing out rep, we don't need to know that.

vBulletin allows you to see the post and a reason - placed by the member - for your positive or negative reputation so why not with IPB? :)

It just perplexes me anyone would argue about this... I see praise being awarded as a good thing for the community. All we've ever had in the past is whining about taking away people's abilities to vote on topics because of 1 starring, and now you guys are whining about a system that's pretty safe due to it's limitations of praise just because you're scared someone, which will probably be no one, get's some e-peen?

Talk about insecurity.

As I've already said the world is a negative place on the whole, people can't be arsed praising others, other than saying thanks sometimes, no one's going to be ass kissing a certain member using their 5 daily votes on his/her post.... why? Because after 2 days they won't be arsed.

Where this comes into play is seeing a guide with 40+ votes and that person knowing they've done something the community likes.

People whine about everything nowadays, I can't even believe the guy whining Neowin was going to be down for 6 hours the other day. Maybe cause im popping dizaepam for my anxiety right now and am on some artificial high, but I cannot for the life of me understand the negativity to this reputation system. I appreciate and understand Rappy's neutrality that's up to him.... but Rappy remember you're an MVC, mods can use this system to help promote further MVCs as well - You're happily standing wearing a badge that shows people you've contributed to deserve yet de-mining a reputation system everyday members can have to show they're helping the board? Isn't that slightly ironic?

People whine about everything nowadays, I can't even believe the guy whining Neowin was going to be down for 6 hours the other day. Maybe cause im popping dizaepam for my anxiety right now and am on some artificial high, but I cannot for the life of me understand the negativity to this reputation system. I appreciate and understand Rappy's neutrality that's up to him.... but Rappy remember you're an MVC, mods can use this system to help promote further MVCs as well - You're happily standing wearing a badge that shows people you've contributed to deserve yet de-mining a reputation system everyday members can have to show they're helping the board? Isn't that slightly ironic?

Yeah but I didn't ask for the MVC I got rewarded it just like other people get awarded Mod they don't ask for the privilege people just reward you, but I can see your point but I just don't like the system yes you can vote a post that is worthy but I just feel its going to be abused...maybe I am just mumbling to myself now so I'll stop :)

Yeah but I didn't ask for the MVC I got rewarded it just like other people get awarded Mod they don't ask for the privilege people just reward you, but I can see your point but I just don't like the system yes you can vote a post that is worthy but I just feel its going to be abused...maybe I am just mumbling to myself now so I'll stop :)

No one's asking for votes either, in fact, it should be a verbal warning offence to be begging for votes (I done it jokingly earlier). If it persists an actual warning.

What I'm trying to say is this system will help the mods, no you didn't ask to be an MVC but you were recognized to stand out for contributions, this system with it's limitations in place and my belief people will not be ass kissing as much as some of you think, mods and staff will be able to check peoples ratings to help them out behind the scenes.

I'm also pretty sure mods can see what topics have the votes, so if in doubt they can see if someone has 50 votes through a string of 40 posts, or 50 votes from say 10 well written guides/posts.

I already know mods can tell who votes what on topics in terms of stars, trust me, the devs can figure that out, it was figured out for me and bannings took place to avoid the abuse. So again I'm pretty sure right now mods can tell who's voting who what.

• Like 2

I'd like to echo the opinion that positive voting = good, negative = bad.

However, I do have one question: is there any effect beyond the number that appears at the bottom right of a post? It's not exactly noticeable. It's a bit controversial, but I think very highly rated posts should get more than a bigger number to single them out.

• Like 3

I think Digg is a perfect example of how negative votes are much more abused than positive ones. Someone who thinks a post is a quality post will go out of their way to rate it up, while many users will just click negative votes because they can.

Even if a post has a valid point/argument many users who think it is irrelevant/fanboys on gaming discussions will rate it down because of that.

The way the rep system is sat now is probably the best way to have it (Y)

• Like 2

I think Digg is a perfect example of how negative votes are much more abused than positive ones. Someone who thinks a post is a quality post will go out of their way to rate it up, while many users will just click negative votes because they can.

Even if a post has a valid point/argument many users who think it is irrelevant/fanboys on gaming discussions will rate it down because of that.

The way the rep system is sat now is probably the best way to have it (Y)

Just look at that bury brigade thing. What a disaster that would be around here.

There used to be a rep mod for IPB 2.3.x that actually allowed users to add notes as to why they where being given the rep, personally I feel having the rep system modified to do that would be useful, as you could look at a user's profile and see why they where being repped.

I wouldn't want a post of mine to be voted down simply because someone disagrees with me or dislikes my opinion. Instead, I'd prefer them to ignore my post or vote it up if they find it helpful. Allowing posts to be voted down is a recipe for e-drama. I'm glad the admins decided leave it out.

But equally some stupid post might get a lot of +1 votes just because its stupid.

In reality, the reputation system is there to be abused. I don't care for it as I won't use it (and I really don't care what people think about me or my posts), but other users live just to make their e-peen bigger, so they won't share my opinion.

There used to be a rep mod for IPB 2.3.x that actually allowed users to add notes as to why they where being given the rep, personally I feel having the rep system modified to do that would be useful, as you could look at a user's profile and see why they where being repped.

While that is a good idea in concept, I'd imagine you'd see a lot of "User is an idiot, users wrong, user is a troll" etc... It'd be a modding nightmare. :(

• Like 1

While that is a good idea in concept, I'd imagine you'd see a lot of "User is an idiot, users wrong, user is a troll" etc... It'd be a modding nightmare. :(

I suppose there is that downside to it, couldn't that be partially resolved by allowing users to remove bad comments, kinda like they can do on their profiles?