Computer Repair People: What tools do you use?

What tools do you people use when you fix other peoples computers? I'm creating a set of tools to use so I am more organized when doing it. I do it now and then for people and I'm gathering different resources for myself to save my self the hassle. If someone can give me some applications/programs they use to fix computers (Even application recommendations), please list them. Thank you.

Software wise, you're going to need spybot with the latest spybot includes to clean computers that can be cleaned from the recent scourge of False AV that people apparently find a need to install. remember to install a proper decent AV like MSE afterwardsa and scan sicne there's probably some trojans and spyware it didn't catch as well. And F8 and safe mode is your best friend.

you'll also need Sysinternals suite on the memory stick. especially Autoruns is going to be your best friend when fixing the false AV's (yes they'll probably be what you'll see most for now)

As for HArdware, Decent screwdriver set, something solid that don't wear out. torx and security torx as well, some laptops may require torx.

Anti static armchain and working mat isn't crucial if you're careful, but it makes you seem more proffesional and if you're going deeper into computers and laptops well they help you from killign components to.

And definately you're going to need one of those Sata/IDE(big and small) to USB cables. the ones without a casing, mountign and dismounting from a case is just going to be bothersome when you're just backing up some quick data. make sure it also comes with a pwoersupply since the dual USB can only power the laptop drives.

decent set of screwdrivers

vice grips

electrical tape

high pressure source of compressed air

USB external slim DVD burner, Lite-On brand holds up well

USB flash drive, at least one that you can format regularly if needed

USB external hard drive, with tens of gigs to spare

known working spare drives for IDE and SATA

a decent set of Windows CDs, and knowing the difference between OEM and Retail product keys

a laptop with Ethernet and wireless connectivity if you are traveling to the job

And definately you're going to need one of those Sata/IDE(big and small) to USB cables. the ones without a casing, mountign and dismounting from a case is just going to be bothersome when you're just backing up some quick data. make sure it also comes with a pwoersupply since the dual USB can only power the laptop drives.

Such a handy bit of kit that, got me out of trouble a few times :) definitely one to have in the toolbox :yes:

My own made copy of Portable bootable XP, which I added most tools necessary to repair a PC (including NOD32 with updates until 15 Jan 2010).

(Guess can't post link to it here cause it contain "copyrighted" software, but if anybody is interested send me PM, or you can check similar CDs like UBCD4Win)

Lets see, a windows pe boot cd (you can make one free using a tool from microsoft), password crack disk for xp , vista ,windows 7 . A windows xp install disk, a windows 7 32bit install disk, and a windows 7 64bit installl disk. Also a toolkit with one of those weird looking bits that HP still insists on using . A usb key and a portable hdd.

I don't repair PC's in any professional capacity so my set of stuff is pretty basic;

Screwdrivers and a box of spare parts generally does me for physical issues,

Software wise;

A a few cd's filled with useful software (Ranging spybot S&D/MSE to notepad++ - all handy if you cant get any internet),

Some form of Linux live CD (preferably one aimed at recovery so you get TestDisk and all that on it, but generally a basic copy of Ubuntu or something will do the trick),

A 8-16GB flash disk for moving data around,

Eee Pc for tactical googeling,

+ a compressed air canister if i have one

So far its done me pretty well - although having stuff like the "Sata/IDE(big and small) to USB cables. " would make stuff easier if i did it more often.

In most cases all you need is a set of Windows Discs, and a USB drive full of software like MalwareBytes, SAS, Norton/McAfee/Avast removal tools, latest version of ComboFix.

A USB to Ethernet adapter also comes in handy, and a really long ethernet cable, just in case.

I prepare my kit the night before I go to see the client. Stuff gets outdated so quick, especially with stuff like Combofix (which is an absolute lifesaver and essential for removing rootkits).

For viruses/rootkits/malware:

- Combofix

- MBAM

- Copy of MSE and NOD32.

The SATA/IDE to USB as mentioned earlier is fantastic. Mine has a 2.5" HDD connector as well so any faulty laptops that come to me get backed up easily.

I have handy a copy of every Windows on CD/DVD, regardless of Pro/Home, Retail/OEM. Latest service packs applied of course.

A BartPE CD for restoring the registry and backing up files on RAID0 volumes when the USB adapater mentioned above is of no use.

Thats pretty much it, along with a couple of screwdrivers. I have a whole houseful of computer parts so whenever someone needs anything I just dig out the appropriate kit.

I really just use my Windows disk for startup repairs and that's about it really. Almost everything virus-ish can be easily disabled with msconfig and then scanned out with MSE.

Combofix

Malwarebytes

CCleaner

Kcleaner

Super Anti-Spyware

Norton Removal

Ultimate Boot CD

Active Password Changer

Windows Installation CD/DVD

AVG 9.0 Free/AntiVir

I don't repair computers very often, so the only thing I keep handy is UBCD and a Windows XP CD updated to July 2009. Otherwise, I'll copy any other programs I need to a flash drive.

A couple useful tools:

Windows System Control Panel (WSCC) - http://www.kls-soft.com/wscc/index.php

A simple GUI which can organize and update all Sysinternals and Nirsoft utilities.

NTFS Access - http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/ntfsaccess/

A program which will let you 'Take Ownership', giving you full access to a folder and all sub-folders.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually use:

AVG / MSE

AutoRuns

CCleaner

CPU-Z / GPU-Z

MBAM

SuperAntiSpyware

UBCD

Windows CD's

Screw drivers

IDE/SATA to usb

Large flash drive

EEE PC for tactical googleing (as Bag so wonderfully put it :D)

Hardware:

• Regular screwdriver
  • Pinch arm (not sure on real name but it has three needle like arms that extend to easily pick up screws)

Software:

• Boat load of portable apps (WinDirStat, Notepad++, Defraggler, Recuva, CCleaner, CMDPRMT)
  • MBAM
  • Combofix
  • Things of that sort

First thing I would HIGHLY recommend you buy is a usb stick that has a write protection switch. I have 3 of them. Then it doesn't matter what filthy computer you stick it on it will not get infected.

Here is the directory structure of my thumbstick

thumbstick.jpg

I also use Ketarin to keep all those files up to date with the latest versions. If your interested how it works you can check out this video. Its a god sent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5sCwylLmQ

I also carry around a book of CD's which includes a cd with all of the above on it.

As well as a bartpe disc.

A Windows Vista 64bit and 32bit Disc

A OEM Windows XP SP3 Home and Pro Disc

a Windows 2000 SP4 disc

a Memtest disc

and a bunch of others.