Computer Repair People: What tools do you use?

I use most of the tools above, but also use one for the Antivirus as I have found it to be very vigilant in finding stuff. It will literally lock the system down from all other processes to prevent malware from intervening. Very smart.

It is called AVZ Antiviral Toolkit from Kapersky. Found here

dont forget the hard disk problems!

and by that, i mean Spinrite ....

i have it put on a usb flash drive, just make sure the flash drive is FAT32 formatted and its bootable... e.g. i cant use my usb hdd because its ntfs, and i cant use my camera's memory card because its not bootable, etc... if nothing else the retro pc-speaker sound effects make it totally worth it

KZTechs SReng comes in handy if you're hit by the hippi worm or similar threats and/or you can't run .exe files anymore or can not boot to safemode.

you can rename the sreng.exe to sreng.pif and it will start most probably.

RecoverMyFiles and cardrecovery are the best recovery tools imo (also won a lot of tests)

HDD Regenerator is still one of the best to repair hdds

QAwin32 is great to check hardware components of all sorts

Nirsofts ShellExView also helped me a couple of times to repair f*cked up shell extensions

I do a fair amount of repairs on a daily basis....!!!! i must admit tho, there are some suggestions of using AVG... personally, i would steer well clear..! i have had some terrible experiences with AVG.... Avast Free is a good idea, and the best tool in my software arsenal for quick repairs - Advanced System Care - iobit.com ... Hirens is also a good CD to have, Mal Ware bytes is a good one too!

I also keep some USB SATA and IDE headers for hard drives (2.5" & 3.5" drives), where i can strip the drive out, and do a decent virus scan if need be, or scandisk.... or run whatever tools are needed....

KZTechs SReng comes in handy if you're hit by the hippi worm or similar threats and/or you can't run .exe files anymore or can not boot to safemode.

you can rename the sreng.exe to sreng.pif and it will start most probably.

RecoverMyFiles and cardrecovery are the best recovery tools imo (also won a lot of tests)

HDD Regenerator is still one of the best to repair hdds

QAwin32 is great to check hardware components of all sorts

Nirsofts ShellExView also helped me a couple of times to repair f*cked up shell extensions

While HDD regenerator is good its not the best by far. Spinrite blows it out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to keep a flashdrive full of various tools, but I deleted all of it when I moved a little over a year ago. It wasn't anything nearly as extensive as some of the setups mentioned here, but it did the job. For physical tools, all you ever need is a phillips screwdriver.

I quit working on other people's computers when I moved. Got real tired of fixing the same little issues on the same crap computers for the same morons every week. Wasn't worth my time, it didn't pay nearly enough and they never brought it to me. I always had to go to them. Now my life is easier and happier without those morons around.

What software do you guys usually install when you re-install a OS out of curiosity?

I know many or most install a anti virus. What anti virus should I recommend to others? Is free better than paid sometimes?

I used to keep a flashdrive full of various tools, but I deleted all of it when I moved a little over a year ago. It wasn't anything nearly as extensive as some of the setups mentioned here, but it did the job. For physical tools, all you ever need is a phillips screwdriver.

I quit working on other people's computers when I moved. Got real tired of fixing the same little issues on the same crap computers for the same morons every week. Wasn't worth my time, it didn't pay nearly enough and they never brought it to me. I always had to go to them. Now my life is easier and happier without those morons around.

I feel the same way sometimes. I work for a local guy.. have been for 3 years. same wage and same people coming in every week same issues, Unlike you I can't move though

What software do you guys usually install when you re-install a OS out of curiosity?

I know many or most install a anti virus. What anti virus should I recommend to others? Is free better than paid sometimes?

I recommend to most AVG 9.0 Free. some use Avast! home or Norton.

Best free one(s) AVG and AntiVir.

Paid ones usually have better support, quicker updates and more innovative features, but free ones are free.

So they both have their own pro's and cons.

Custom UBCD with driver cleaners and hardware diagnostic applicationsl, Ghost 11, AV software, Ad Software, password reset tool, etc.

Precision screwdriver set (should have several size and shape bits, including T's and the grip needs to have a rotating head)

If you set up the UBCD right, you won't need to install anything on the host machine that is having problems, which allows virus and ad scanners to access the entire drive (if that's the issue).

Another thing to have in your toolkit is a healthy understanding of the Windows Registry. Many virii and unwanted software, bad drivers, problem apps, etc can be dealt with almost exclusively via the registry, but most people aren't willing to get their hands dirty on it for fear of screwing something up (and for good reason).

Hardware problems just require that you have some known good spare parts of every shape and size, specification, or whatever so you can troubleshoot and zero in on the actual problem (though most hardware problems are obvious).

Also you'll want to bring along a sledgehammer if you find out you'll be working on an emachine?.

Don't be ridiculous at least the new Acer made emachines are excellent laptops for a good price.

I don't repair computer professionally but every so often I have come across a PC with the IP stack all messed up and WinsockxpFix does the trick when nothing else would. This will happen usually after SpyBot did a repair depending on the nature of the malware.

• 2 weeks later...

Combofix

Malwarebytes

CCleaner

Kcleaner

Super Anti-Spyware

Norton Removal

Ultimate Boot CD

Active Password Changer

Windows Installation CD/DVD

AVG 9.0 Free/AntiVir

This is really a great list. CCleaner is extremely useful; I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials over Avira/AVG.:)

I also use TuneUp Utilities rather frequently!:D

SoliderX Boot Tool

Hiren's 10.1

ATF Cleaner

HDD Regenerator

NT Password Changer

ComboFix

Avast

Pstools

Thats about all ill ever need to clean/repair/work

• 5 months later...