Online Gaming on a 3G Dongle Connection?

Depends on what your upload is, the problem with dongles is it's usually to low to play games.

But i heard MMORPG's only take up a few MB every hour =\

World of Warcraft When in Dalaran (current major city in the game) uses ~88Mb per hour of bandwidth. However when using a 3G dongle there is noticeable latency issues everywhere in the game not just in Dalaran

I use my 3G Dongle for online gaming :) and it is almost 2 years I have been using it. I Will tell you all details :)

I have 4 3G dongles (Huawei E160G, Huawei E1550, Vodafone K3715, ZTE MF100).

The only modem that support fast upload (HSUPA) speed is the Vodafone K3715.

all others only support HSDPA.

Oky mostly I play Quake live online (France Servers).

With normal land line DSL I get around 70 - 90 ping

with (Huawei E160G, Huawei E1550) I get around 130-150

with Vodafone K3715 (HSUPA) I get around 100- 150

more or less it is the same ping when I play UT3, UT2004, UT, HL, HL:CS, HL2:DM

Signal strength affect the ping dramatically.

with Huawei E160G, Huawei E1550, ZTE MF100 I get a signal around (with supplied software 90%) but I believe I get around (70%)

with Vodafone K3715 due to HSUPA I get a lower signal strength (with supplied software 70%) but I believe I get around (50%)

I believe that supplied software give better reading that what the actual signal is.

I'm thinking about getting and external antenna and see if it helps. I also want to get an option globesurfer iii router.

3G is not good for online gaming because of latency.

This. You can get great speeds, but the latency is what will kill you.

I get dsl speeds off my 3g connection. But the latency is :pinch:

Should do well with guild wars, though fps's... not so well. idk do a pingtest. dont worry about the speeds.

I use my 3G Dongle for online gaming :) and it is almost 2 years I have been using it. I Will tell you all details :)

more or less it is the same ping when I play UT3, UT2004, UT, HL, HL:CS, HL2:DM

Signal strength affect the ping dramatically.

I'm thinking about getting and external antenna and see if it helps. I also want to get an option globesurfer iii router.

We will probably will have have to go with "3" or T-Mobile for the 3G Dongle itself, along with a external antenna obviously on the roof to get the best possible signal. Also, we will have a powerline network (internet uses electricity network) to get internet around the house with several booster along the way.

What would you gets reccomend in terms of routers?

We will probably will have have to go with "3" or T-Mobile for the 3G Dongle itself, along with a external antenna obviously on the roof to get the best possible signal. Also, we will have a powerline network (internet uses electricity network) to get internet around the house with several booster along the way.

What would you gets reccomend in terms of routers?

There is 2 types of 3G routers one that takes the 3G dongle in a USB port and the other that has build in modem (all you need is insert the SIM card)

After searching comparing I believe I will go GlobeSurfer III (which doesnt need an external dongle it has build it modem, also reviews says it has a really good internal antenna)

http://www.option.co...s/globesurfer3/

About getting external antenna, it is not as simple as it sounds it is a complex story. If you not careful you will get a worse signal strength with the external antenna, connection cables resistance and length could make ur experience a night mare.

Im not happy with my 3G dongles I really don't like the quality of Huawei products, really poor quality.

On thing you should also know is that not all donglos and modems have a port for external antenna.

so watch out u might buy a dongle and later find out u cant connect it to an external antenna.

I wouldnt have a wireless network for sure, i would only have a wired network. :) Although having both options would be nice.. for my ipod touch etc.

I've been using 3G to play internet games for a while. It depends on your provider and your connection, but it's been fine for me for everything but action games.

A booster antenna can help if your signal is questionable.

I've been using 3G to play internet games for a while. It depends on your provider and your connection, but it's been fine for me for everything but action games.

A booster antenna can help if your signal is questionable.

Hmm.. okay, which of the below games do you think would be playable -

Unreal Tournament 3 (Or 2004).

Team Fortress 2.

Guild Wars.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

Guild Wars. The others are possible, but it really depends on your setup. I mean, 3g is a shared experience, so it depends on towers, signal quality, overall load...lots of things.

I live on a farm with relatively poor quality, so I don't even try the action games. If I lived in town I'm sure I'd have more to say on that.

On Verizon with an Alltel modem, so I can't vouch for any other ISPs of course. They're pretty damn good on my laptop in town, but my laptop isn't really good enough for action gaming.

Guild Wars. The others are possible, but it really depends on your setup. I mean, 3g is a shared experience, so it depends on towers, signal quality, overall load...lots of things.

I live on a farm with relatively poor quality, so I don't even try the action games. If I lived in town I'm sure I'd have more to say on that.

On Verizon with an Alltel modem, so I can't vouch for any other ISPs of course. They're pretty damn good on my laptop in town, but my laptop isn't really good enough for action gaming.

Im am moving to a large house in the middle of the country haha, so i can imagine i will have the same signal issues as yourself. Im willing to basically "throw" money at this, so if anyone can tell me the best way to get a decent setup (which modem is the best) i would be thankful :D The signal will be transferred around the house using a PowerLine setup.,

Stores that sell 3g equipment are usually happy to help. As to which ISP will be best where you're at....well thats a ****ty question to answer because it involves work on your end.

I recommend http://3gstore.com/ for antennas/equipment after the modem purchase (they can't sell Verizon modems anymore apparently for some wierd reason. Heh.)

I really can't wait for 4g, even though I'd bet its gonna be another three-four years before it's past the transition phase.

Stores that sell 3g equipment are usually happy to help. As to which ISP will be best where you're at....well thats a ****ty question to answer because it involves work on your end.

I recommend http://3gstore.com/ for antennas/equipment after the modem purchase (they can't sell Verizon modems anymore apparently for some wierd reason. Heh.)

I really can't wait for 4g, even though I'd bet its gonna be another three-four years before it's past the transition phase.

Well apprently it will have to be between 3 and T-Mobile in terms of the dongle itself, since those are the only 2 which would get the decent signal. T-Mobile has rubbish caps as well, so i guess we will have to go with 3 :D I cannot wait for 4G either, should be awesome!

What do you think of having a PowerLine network for transferring the data across the house?

My friend tried it and said it works well. I've never tried it myself.

Brilliant!

Hmm well, heres my plan -

Get a "3" dongle (or dongles for the rest of the family as well). - http://threestore.three.co.uk/dealsummary.aspx?offercode=18B15GD027 - That one prehaps?

Plug it into a central place (is there one avaliable?) Then have the Devolo Powerline setup to connect to it and then get going!

To be honest its the central bit that is strange, i will require .. a hub or something along those lines where i can plug it all into.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me i've just taken out a contract on 3 network with the blackberry bold 9780(with a built in modem) with a 3.5G connection, so that i can play online games such as world of warcraft and other titles such as cs and cod, but when i'm playing these games i get disconnected.

I've spoken to 3 and they tell me that there no way to increase the data transfer so i don't get disconnected, so i was thinking if i was to get a 3g dongle instead would i have the same problem?

Is there any dongles out there which i can get play online games without disconnection problem.

Dongles and gaming doesn't work. The latency is too high and you will lag and get owned. Wow might work but will still be crap.

Should start a new thread not bump a very old one

Dognles for gaming are total crap. Steer clear Ive had a few literally use all there bandwidth in 2-3hrs play as the thing kept swtiching between access points and thus 15gb transfer used in a matter of hours. Not good.

Bandwidth will be eaten up quickly and the lag would be unbearable! gaming on a dongle is somthing i hope i never have to try!