Netflix to add 1080p streaming and 5.1 surround sound support

http://mashable.com/2010/02/08/netflix-1080p/

Netflix plans to bump the video quality of its Watch Instantly streaming service up to 1080p on some devices, CNET claims. It will also roll out 5.1 surround sound support. Both upgrades will occur by next year.

Currently, Netflix Watch Instantly is available in 720p HD on the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, and some set-top boxes. 1080p is a much higher resolution, and the existing devices don’t stream Netflix content with 5.1 surround sound.

more at link

And it looks like CNet has already updated their article to say they were wrong.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000054-248.html

Editors' note, 4:30 p.m. PST: Netflix now claims that it incorrectly acknowledged 1080p streaming in the company's 2010 development road map. A Netflix representative has clarified that the company plans to bring 5.1 surround and closed captioning to its streaming HD videos later this year, though 1080p Watch Instantly is not on the books for this year. The text below is the original story, based on earlier conversations and e-mails with this Netflix representative.

not entirely wrong, just not this year

I didn't meant C-Net, I meant the website you linked to, whose title reads...

Netflix Instant Streaming Goes 1080p This Year

I for one was hoping this was for real, I have Netflix on all of my devices and would have loved 1080p support.

What type of Internet speed you need for 1080p HD streaming? :huh: I am guessing like 100MB as the minimum requirement.

Netflix's current (though unofficial) requirements for streaming 720p HD content on an HD-compatible box such as the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Roku box are 5Mbps or higher. Presumably 1080p, which is a little over twice the resolution of 720p, will require more speed.

That is taken from the CNet Article. Netflix's unofficial requirements says you need 5 MB for 720p, and since 720p is a little over twice the resolution of 1080p, I would take a guess and say you need 10Mbps MINIMUM, and ideally you want over 15.

And also just saw this...

Correction, Monday at 3:10 p.m. PST: This article incorrectly listed the Internet connection speed required to stream 720p HD content. According to Netflix, that number is "typically" 5 megabits per second.

So really, who the hell knows.

That is taken from the CNet Article. Netflix's unofficial requirements says you need 5 MB for 720p, and since 720p is a little over twice the resolution of 1080p, I would take a guess and say you need 10Mbps MINIMUM, and ideally you want over 15.

15MB from Verizon can be really expensive. I have only 1.5MB and I pay $33 dollars, so imagine 15MB... :no:

I'll gladly take 5.1 Dolby Digital and Closed Captioning. 1080p would be nice, but I'd rather have 720p with 5.1 than 1080p with stereo.

yeah, if I had to pick between 720p with 5.1 or 1080p with stero, ill take the 720p with 5.1.

What type of Internet speed you need for 1080p HD streaming? :huh: I am guessing like 100MB as the minimum requirement.

Not as much as you expect. As long as you know you won't be getting Blu-ray quality, h264 can be very forgiving. Take iTunes and Hulu for example, they stream 720p content at quite a low bitrate and it still looks tolerable, so 1080p will probably also bin like that.

The funny thing is, they use awful settings to be able to play the encodes on even the simplest PCs (probably same will be true for Netflix). With the right settings, h264 can really shine, even at lower bitrates.

Also remember, that encodes have variable framerates, so while you are watching a part with low bitrate, the rest is getting buffered. If I had to guess, 7Mbits/s would be the minimal connection speed to allow 1080p streaming for Netflix. :)