Problems installing 5770

So I just got a xfx raedon 5770 for my birthday and I been trying to get it working for at least 3 hours now...

I had a 9600gt in there before, so I removed that and out the 5770 in, then booted into safe mode, uninstalled the nvidia drivers, and installed the ati drivers, it asks me to reboot so I do.

After reboot it shows the windows loading screen, then when it should be switching to the windows login screen it just stay black.

This is making me pretty ****ed since this is my first ati card in 9 years, and I'm already off to a bad start.

I'm running windows 7 x64 and I ran driver sweeper to make sure there are no traces of nvidia drivers.

UPDATE:

I rebooted into safe mode, went into device manage and removed the display driver, then rebooted.

Windows recognized the card and installed the basic video driver for it, reboot windows, it all works fine.

As soon as I install the video driver off of ATI or XFX's website, all I get is black screen.

UPDATE #2:

The card runs fine with the default windows display drivers, as soon as you I update to the newest drivers (10.1) It boots into a black screen.

I've uploaded the 9.8B Display Drivers from the XFX Disk, for anyone thats having the same issue as I am, these drivers are working for me at the moment.

ATI Display Drivers 9.8B

So I just got a xfx raedon 5770 for my birthday and I been trying to get it working for at least 3 hours now...

I had a 9600gt in there before, so I removed that and out the 5770 in, then booted into safe mode, uninstalled the nvidia drivers, and installed the ati drivers, it asks me to reboot so I do.

After reboot it shows the windows loading screen, then when it should be switching to the windows login screen it just stay black.

This is making me pretty ****ed since this is my first ati card in 9 years, and I'm already off to a bad start.

I'm running windows 7 x64 and I ran driver sweeper to make sure there are no traces of nvidia drivers.

You uninstalled the drivers and installed the drivers in Safe Mode? Why? Running driver sweeper seems to be the problem. Tap F8 upon booting and select Last Know Good Configuration. Hopefully it will works (I had the same problem doing almost the same exact scenario awhile back).

Always remove drivers before an upgrade. Then when it says restart sysmte you hit later. Shut down the system install new card and boot up then once it boots into windows install drivers.

This has ALWAYS worked fo me numerous times. Any other ways I've tried like your way has always gone bad. It's easier not do drivers in safe mode. Only time I really use safe mode is for problem checking.

Try installing the 9600 gt. See if the computer boots and then go from there. Uninstall the ati drivers if they did install then go through the whole upgrading physically and then boot into windows

I had to install in safe mod because it wouldn't boot normally.

Then I ran driver sweeper, and it booted fine, but the. After installing the drivers in windows normally I still have the same issue, black screen instead of login screen.

You shouldnt uninstall graphics drivers in safe mode. I don't know why but it never works properly for me. I'd guess NVIDIA have some kind of uninstall utility that wont run in safe mode or something along those lines.

Ok definitely a Power issue. Ive been through it before. Also cheap PSU so im gonna blame it on power. But before its final, did you use 2 PCI-e or 1 PCI-e. WHatever the card expect? If so, whats the 12v ratings for amps?

is this the rating for your PSU

Output +3.3V@25A,+5V@30A,+12V1@28A,+12V2@28A,

+12V3@28A,-12V@0.6A,+5VSB@3.0A

If so, they sound good enough to handle it but with other stuff using the 12v rails and it being a Cheap PSU, your getting off getting a quality 550watt for you. Should be perfect and have some headroom. Get Corsair, Antec, etc. I recommend Corsair.

Btw, if it was a card issue, you would get beep codes right away / fan wont spin up on card. Bugged cards usually do that, powerless cards usually just act weird.

I had some trouble installing the drivers for my HD 5770 the other week. My computer was using the standard VGA graphics adapter, and didn't seem to recognize the card. Running Driver Sweeper didn't work either. In the end the drivers installed, and I guess this is because beforehand I reset my BIOS settings. Although my problem was a bit different, maybe you could try that?

But I do have to agree that it is most likely a power issue. I also recommend getting a Corsair PSU, if it is a power issue.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like it's a power supply issue. I had a similar problem to you with my 5770. I had some cheap no-name 500W PSU in mine which was causing the problems. Fortunately, I didn't have to shell out ?60 for a new one; I took the old Q-Tec 500W PSU out of my dad's 8 year old PC (which he spent tons of money on back in the day), and bought an adapter cable to plug it into the PCI-E power socket (it uses two IDE power connectors to power the PCI-E connector).

That Enermax PSU is not a cheap, no name PSU. Enermax makes excellent PSUs that should be more than enough for th 5770. Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date, there were a handful of boards that needed a BIOS flash to handle the 5700 series. If you aren't aware of Enermax PSUs you probably should not be giving hardware advice.

Silly things that people have tried and reported to work (really not guaranteed to work):

- Use a DVI to VGA adapter on the card, connect screen in VGA.

- Put your RAM in other slots.

- Turn monitors off, start computer, wait for gpu fan to spin down (2-4 seconds), turn monitors on.

- Unplug the monitor, plug it back while the computer is running (at your own risk!)

- In BIOS, change PCI-E speed from auto to 100Mhz (standard is 133).

- Is the motherboard an nForce4 chipset by any chance? Could be the culprit.

See http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=122084&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

That Enermax PSU is not a cheap, no name PSU. Enermax makes excellent PSUs that should be more than enough for th 5770. Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date, there were a handful of boards that needed a BIOS flash to handle the 5700 series. If you aren't aware of Enermax PSUs you probably should not be giving hardware advice.

its still worth $150

http://www.a-power.com/product-3441

Ok if your clocks aren't staying / suck it's the power supply.

You know why I day that, because anyboard you use if your allowed to overclock and your simple .4-.5 ghz overclock doesn't stay then it's your power supply.

What's the motherboard you got? Btw DOESNT MATTER HOW MUCH A PSU IS WORTH. If it doesn't have the name or reputation behind it then you know the story. If you don't believe me google Corsair/Silverstone/Thermaltake PSU then google Enermax/Kingwin/another name PSU and you'll see the results of what I'm talking about.

The first 3 I listed are highly used/lab tested/great warranties etc.

I have a friend who lives nothing by cheap **** to

compensate for his pc he bought a kingwin 750 power supply after his 500 watt powr supply couldn't handle his pc. It was a enermax. His pc has a amd 5200+, 9600gt, 1 DVD burner, 1 500gb wb blue.

Yeah he didn't believe it was his psu till one of our friends took his parents old pc that he built. Took out the 4 yr old antec 500watt psu popes it in his computer and ran stable and BETTER. My friend is use to "it just works" so long he doesn't know what's good for him.

But after seeing the improvement he was looking into a psu. We helped him find a better name brand psu under 100 and be said "woah way to expensive I can find something cheap" and nbought a 700watt kingwin for 89... Yeah don't ask me. But he learned his lesson 2 months later when the psu blew because he was under load for 5 hours. Took out his gpu. Luckily eggs replaced his gpu because they blamed it on card defect because it would power on and off randomly. So not entirely showing signs of power failure.

But regardless he learned his Lesson. Ended up getting a 500 corsair used off eBay but got one. So far it's been 3 months and he hasn't complained.

Never go cheap. Now most inexperienced builders believe other games / builders will tell them to buy high end. That's what my friend always bitched about. Later he realized that it's not about buyin high end it's about buying quality. Exspecially when none of us buy extreme high end stuff. We all build pc's to last 2-3 years and upgrade. High end is only worth it for 4-5 years. Thing is we build so many computers 2-3 is better then 4-5.

I personaly like 2-3 for a full upgrade then 4-5.