PC Gaming Special Offers & Deals

Hmm where are the DLC located? Are they automatically installed? When I click the DLC tab in L4D2 properties nothing shows.

The DLC for the L4Ds are classed as updates for the game rather than separate entities so they get downloaded and applied automatically (or manually if you haven't got it set to automatically update). Yay Valve and its freebies :)

The DLC for the L4Ds are classed as updates for the game rather than separate entities so they get downloaded and applied automatically (or manually if you haven't got it set to automatically update). Yay Valve and its freebies :)

Excellent, thanks for the help :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Jumped on it :)

Not sure whether I'll get a chance to play it before I get my new PC. I've got a feeling it might destroy my current one. I heard stories about low FPS on fairly high end rigs, don't know if the patch has helped with that in any way.

has anyone here used gamersgate. how good is it?

As I said in another thread here, GamersGate > Steam. Valve can only dream to have GG's support guys. They are the best.

In terms of the service, you log in the site and purchase the games. You can download them and install them whenever you like. You need internet to activate during installation, but there is one trick you can use... When you activate for the first time, the downloader will start downloading the decrypted setup files in a temp directory. You can back up that directory, and will never need internet connection to install that game ever again. Some rare games may come with activation limits, everything is written on the game's page. Even if you ever make a mistake when purchasing, GG will gladly refund you, and you will be able to correct your purchase.

Plus, you get blue coins for every purchase / rating / review / help / you name it, with which you can buy games (instead of spending real money).

GG > Steam ? I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but it would be nice to see that it is your opinion and not a display of facts.

I like GamersGate, they have a nice collection of games :)

GG > Steam ? I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but it would be nice to see that it is your opinion and not a display of facts.

I like GamersGate, they have a nice collection of games :)

My opinion, of course. :) Oh, and the comparison was about their support, an opinion based on a more than dozen cases where they refunded my friends when they couldn't get the game working, or made a wrong/uneducated purchase.

As I said in another thread here, GamersGate > Steam. Valve can only dream to have GG's support guys. They are the best.

In terms of the service, you log in the site and purchase the games. You can download them and install them whenever you like. You need internet to activate during installation, but there is one trick you can use... When you activate for the first time, the downloader will start downloading the decrypted setup files in a temp directory. You can back up that directory, and will never need internet connection to install that game ever again. Some rare games may come with activation limits, everything is written on the game's page. Even if you ever make a mistake when purchasing, GG will gladly refund you, and you will be able to correct your purchase.

Plus, you get blue coins for every purchase / rating / review / help / you name it, with which you can buy games (instead of spending real money).

You can do that with Steam, too, the backup thing that is.

You can do that with Steam, too, the backup thing that is.

And how do you install the game later if you don't have an internet connection or Steam? You can't. :) With GG, its not like that. You don't have any requirements once you get the decrypted files.

So? Is backing up/installing games something you do daily? I don't mean to pick a fight or start a flame war or anything but that's not a reason why one should be considered better than the other.

And how do you install the game later if you don't have an internet connection or Steam? You can't. :) With GG, its not like that. You don't have any requirements once you get the decrypted files.

Funny fact: I've never used Steam's backup thingy, I'm using it now to see how it works and it doesn't seem to require an internet connection, it obviously requires Steam, but I don't know how dependent it is on the internet to restore a backup that is on a CD/DVD/HDD.

Also, sometimes the setup file in GG's releases are not pure .EXE's, hey can only be launched by using GG's downloader and if there is an updated version of that game on their server you'll have to redownload the game, it won't even use your downloaded setup file. I've only had this happen to me once, but it's not something I'd trust completely.

So? Is backing up/installing games something you do daily? I don't mean to pick a fight or start a flame war or anything but that's not a reason why one should be considered better than the other.

Nah, its not like we're fighting for our lives. :D :D

A little plus for GG would be that it doesn't require a client. Everything else seems pretty much the same, when it comes to backing up / restoring back up. :)

Also, sometimes the setup file in GG's releases are not pure .EXE's, hey can only be launched by using GG's downloader and if there is an updated version of that game on their server you'll have to redownload the game, it won't even use your downloaded setup file. I've only had this happen to me once, but it's not something I'd trust completely.

True, in some rare cases. Though, I know a guy from GOG's forums that had his money refunded because he wasn't able to back it up in that way. :)

I fail to see how Steam's requirement of its Client, or an

internet connection, is in any way a negative. The purpose

of Steam is to track your games real-time in order to track

Achievements, game updates and patches, ect. If I wanted

to simply purchase a game in digital form I would go through

Amazon, or Gamestop, ect. I choose Steams because of those

benefits.

Besides, when my ISP crapped out and my internet connection

was down, I was still able to play Civ V just fine.