Anyone went back to Vista or XP from Windows 7?

I don't know about you but I'm glad they finally removed the classic start menu. I still don't get why people wanted to keep using it beyond clinging to the old ways of doing things.

I personally find Windows 7 to be brilliant, a lot of people seem to refuse to adapt to change, because they are too set in their ways. I have been using Windows since Windows 98, and I have welcomed the changes made to every new version of Windows. Personally I find Windows 7 to be very well designed, and getting used to its new features didn't seem to hard. I would never go back to using Windows Vista or XP, Windows 7 is simply better. In my opinion, for most people that don't adapt I believe it is a case of "won't" rather than "can't".

With Vista, that was easy. Hated it, tried it a few times after the service packs, immediately went back to XP a day or two later. Slow, unreliable, and just an unpleasant operating system.

7 though, even though it's built on Vista, is tremendously improved. Overall it's smoother, easier, and just more reliable than XP. Everything just plain works, and does it faster. Took a couple days to get used to it, as it is different, but once I got over that, it's gold. Going from 7 back to XP? Not happening. About as appealing as going back to 95.

XP was a great OS once they got it straightened out after SP2, but it's time has come and gone. Besides, this is pretty much the same arguments.. DOS to 95 (3.1 doesn't count), 95 to 2K, 2K to XP, XP to Vista (ok that one was a bust).. probably hear it again with Windows 8 or whatever it's going to be called.

Two of the three things I dislike about 7 as opposed to Vista I have cured. Classic menu is back as its much better than the wedge thing, more efficient and less work to get a program running, quick launch bar is back. again for the same reason. The only thing I aint got yet is WMP12 minimizing to the quick launch bar, there is a possible solution but it only works for 32 bit not 64 but if MS are as intelligent as they think they are, Sp1 for 7 will make it possible again. I do hope they bring it back as most threads I have read point that deficiency as there main bugbear. btw. I liked Vista but I would have hated it on lower spec hardware. Oh maybe 4 That bloody icon sitting on the bar telling me messenger is running, it was real easy to fix, just run messenger in Vista compatibility mode and the icon went back to the system tray.One thing I don't miss in Vista is the not responding message but 7 really slow when multitasking. It does everything but slowly rather than craps out like Vista did.

Got a free copy of Windows 7 but went back to XP. Going to stay with XP till April 2014 because of http://en.wikipedia....n_Windows_Vista and http://en.wikipedia....d_in_Windows_7. Then I will upgrade to Windows 7 because I want to stay on Windows. Some annoyances bother me too much. Before I upgrade, I want MS to fix these annoyances:

- Windows Explorer: Turning off auto sorting (all views including list view, details view etc) and auto arrange (icon views) and toggling "Align to Grid" in any folder. Auto sort SHOULD BE optional

- Windows Explorer: Take ownership of or set permissions on multiple files or folders like XP could.

- Windows Explorer: Bring back IColumnProvider for columns in Explorer

- Windows Explorer: Show icons on 16-bit EXEs correctly

- Windows Explorer: Property handlers for more formats like MP4/M4A, MKV so we can edit metadata for these files

- Windows Explorer: When navigating to a folder from a library, respect each folder's individual view instead of using the library view

- Windows Explorer: Make Explorer remember individual folder window sizes and positions

- Windows Explorer: Bring back icons on the command bar in Windows Explorer and common application dialogs for Open/Save

- Windows Explorer: Bring back the Sort bar used to sort and filter in any view (not just details view)

- Windows Explorer: Arrange By & Stack By options in any folder, not just libraries

- Windows Explorer: Make sorting in Explorer from Edit menu not de-select the selected items

- Windows Explorer/Search: GUI for doing advanced searches so we don't have to remember the Advanced Query Syntax

- Windows Explorer: Ability to turn off ClearType entirely throughout the OS for those with CRT monitors

- Windows Explorer: Remember Explorer toolbar positions correctly (not force RBBS_BREAK style for every band)

- Windows Explorer: Bring back the Share overlay icon for shared items in Explorer

- Windows Explorer: Sharing=0 and background customization parameters supported in desktop.ini

- Windows Explorer: Full row selection in Details view optional

- Shell: Customizable game shortcuts in Games Explorer

- Shell: File Type secondary action/association functionality and ability to specific switches/parameters when defining a file association

- Shell: Volume control window should be minimizable like XP

- Shell: Please support 64-bit WebDAV (Web folders) client.

- Taskbar/Shell: Direct access to ethernet/LAN connection settings, connection status from Network icon/View Available Networks (VAN) UI

- Taskbar: Ability to drag taskbands off the taskbar and to other sides of the screen as toolbars

- Taskbar: Include volume control and progress bar in WMP12's taskbar thumbnail

- Taskbar: Show the number of combined taskbar windows

- Taskbar: Bring back network activity animation on Network Connections icon in the notification area

- Taskbar: Power plan issue: Show all available plans (not just 3 or 2)

- Taskbar: When grouping is disabled, the ability to manage multiple taskbar items using multiselect (Ctrl+click) to tile, cascade, minimize or close the selected group of windows

- Windows Photo Viewer and Windows Live Photo Gallery: Should properly show animated GIFs

- Start Menu: Should show folder infotips/tooltips stored in Desktop.ini

- Start Menu: should be able to launch multiple apps by holding down Shift like Classic Start menu allowed

- Start Menu: Expand Connect To into a flyout menu like XP Start menu

- Logon screen: Domain names should be populated on the logon screen in a drop down list like XP

- Logon screen: Override Autologon by pressing the SHIFT key before logon

- Credential Manager: Ability to change stored domain password while client is connected to a workstation like XP's Stored User names and passwords could.

- WDDM: Full screen console windows

- WDDM: Stretching the desktop across multiple monitors i.e. horizontal spanning

- SAPI: Bring back backward compatibility with all older SAPI 5 voices

- Audio: Per app default device so that simultaneous output is possible

- Audio: Balloon notifcation does not play sound any more. Please fix this.

- Windows Image Acquisition: Bring back video support

- Task Manager: Bring back Shutdown menu as when Explorer is crashed or can't be run, it's not easy to shutdown/restart

- Windows Media Player: Bring back Color Chooser, Advanced Tag Editor, Media Link for E-mail and Prty Mode

- Windows Defender: Software Explorer

- Group Policy: Filtering policies to show only a specific operating system or application

Put together a new build last week using 7 for the first time on it.

Once it was finished I immediately upgraded my old PC which was running Vista to 7.

I don't want to look back, no point in Vista when I can use 7 and I can't even stand the sight of XP anymore.

I use Windows 7 since build 6801. It is very stable and install smoothly. I run Windows Update after install and select all the optional drivers. Done. No need to go digging for drivers like I do for Windows XP. Windows Vista has some weird Aero glitch that doesn't happen on Windows 7. I am never going back.

Let's hope that the person who started this topic is not a concern troll.

I made the mistake of getting an emachines netbook a while back that had 7 starter. I love 7 and all but 7 starter is worse than xp IMO you cannot customize the look of anything. When I got it though 7 starter was the only os option for it. I ended up installing xp on it.

I use Win 7 even Win Vista because I've got two PC and I haven't had time to change system on my second PC yet. However, I think these two OS are almost same.

Either way I would never go back to Win XP because I'm used to GUI of Win Vista/7 mainly.

I did. Tried Vista, went back to XP......Tried 7....went back to XP.

Sorry to be a drag on the 7 party, but those two (especially Vista) are not what I am looking for. And with 8 around the corner, there is no sense in moving right now.

I do believe 7 has done one thing to me; made me serious consider Linux/Mac.

What are my arguments as to why I don't want to upgrade?

Numerous really, I simply don't like it. I don't like the task bar, I don't like the start menu, I don't like explorer and that damn hard drive thrashing from Vista is still in 7....etc.

And don't reply to me telling me I'm stupid and I'm an idiot...I don't like the OS, OK? Simple.

:rolleyes:

Sorry to be a drag on the 7 party, but those two (especially Vista) are not what I am looking for. And with 8 around the corner, there is no sense in moving right now.

sounds like your in the very "small' minority chief. also sounds like you don't like change at all. this is why i want support stopped for xp.

^^ Said like a true changeaphobe

Basically you, and the one with the long list of retarded "issues" is simple, I refuse to cahnge and will keep something old and broken to maintain the status quo and learn to adjust with time

And with 8 around the corner, there is no sense in moving right now.

You know something we don't? 2-3 years for the next version is most definitely not "around the corner".

Got from XP to Seven and i'll never look back to XP...vista was a crap on my rig but Seven is realy doing the job. Xp is on my second computer (hardware restrictions). Seven is realy the best os for me. Can't live on xp anymore but got to because I'm tech support at the office. Can't wait 'till migrating to seven in the office. Forget XP (though it was good all those years) and move on to Seven. Problem with vista is that people installed it on computers that werent' made for it. Good on some, bad on others. Seven is the way to go.

I would never understand people's obsession with the classic start menu. blink.gif Why keep on clinging to something just because you are "used to it"?

Probably because most things can be found much, much quicker with the classic menu. For example, if I was wanting to play Freecell, in XP I click the Start button, and don't have to click again until my mouse moves up to games and then click on Freecell. Bang, there it opens. In Windows 7 I click on start, go to games, click on games, the Games folder opens, I click on Freecell and play the game. When the game is over and I exit the Games folder is still on the desktop that I have to also close. I know things can be pinned to the taskbar in 7, but the same can be put in the Quick Menu of XP.

What are my arguments as to why I don't want to upgrade?

Numerous really, I simply don't like it. I don't like the task bar, I don't like the start menu, I don't like explorer and that damn hard drive thrashing from Vista is still in 7....etc.

And don't reply to me telling me I'm stupid and I'm an idiot...I don't like the OS, OK? Simple.

I don't agree.

I finally bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate about a week ago and quite frankly I'm a bit disappointed with the new OS. I never quite understood why Vista got the bad rep that it got because the OS ran fine on my computer. Then again I never install software on inadequate hardware. I've been using a combination of Vista and XP for the past 2 years. The reason why I'm contemplating of going back to Vista or at least go for a all Vista OS is because I don't like how MS removed the classic menu and tweaked the taskbar. I know it'll take a while to get use to it, but I don't feel like it's making my life more efficient. Having to start from scratch, I feel very slow. I have read the guides and tweaked the menus as much as possible including installing the classic menu software. However, I don't like how I have to do that much tweaking just to make Windows 7 bearable for me. Do anyone of you guys feel like that? Jump Lists doesn't seem all that important although some people make it seem like as if it's the greatest invention since slice bread. To me Windows 7 just seem a bit more glamourous than Vista. The only reason how I can see myself keeping Windows 7 is if I use an SSD since only Windows 7 support TRIM option. I'm thinking of putting Windows 7 away until I feel the need to want to experiment and learn or when Vista finally gets the axe.

The only reason I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista was for the 64bit upgrade and the Trim for my SSD. My Vista 32bit had been running flawless for over a year, and I was very happy. I'd still be on Vista if not for the itch to upgrade to 64bit...

The only reason I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista was for the 64bit upgrade and the Trim for my SSD. My Vista 32bit had been running flawless for over a year, and I was very happy. I'd still be on Vista if not for the itch to upgrade to 64bit...

One example of a pc that realy could run vista.

Probably because most things can be found much, much quicker with the classic menu. For example, if I was wanting to play Freecell, in XP I click the Start button, and don't have to click again until my mouse moves up to games and then click on Freecell. Bang, there it opens. In Windows 7 I click on start, go to games, click on games, the Games folder opens, I click on Freecell and play the game. When the game is over and I exit the Games folder is still on the desktop that I have to also close. I know things can be pinned to the taskbar in 7, but the same can be put in the Quick Menu of XP.

Or you could always type in 'free' and choose freecell from the list.

Doth gentleman grasping at straws.

Basically you, and the one with the long list of retarded "issues" is simple, I refuse to cahnge and will keep something old and broken to maintain the status quo and learn to adjust with time

There's a difference between adjusting to change and losing features. It's not my problem that MS careless fixed things that weren't broken. I can't accept ridiculous changes like not showing drive free space and file sizes on the status bar, compulsory auto sort, no icon overlay indication for shared folders, loss of advanced file type association features, making me visit Network Connections every time to change ethernet related settings, limited number of power plans etc. It's not a question of adapting, it's about stupid design changes. Doesn't mean those who stay with XP because they're comfortable with it are retarded.

There's a difference between adjusting to change and losing features. It's not my problem that MS careless fixed things that weren't broken. I can't accept ridiculous changes like not showing drive free space and file sizes on the status bar, compulsory auto sort, no icon overlay indication for shared folders, loss of advanced file type association features, making me visit Network Connections every time to change ethernet related settings, limited number of power plans etc. It's not a question of adapting, it's about stupid design changes. Doesn't mean those who stay with XP because they're comfortable with it are retarded.

you was saying image below drive space left and shown akk ya have to do is adjust your view of the drives so damn simple .

post-74594-12661440768613_thumb.jpg

i can't stand the classic menu, havn't used it in years.

Ditto this; it's especially handy if you have a bajillion shortcuts on your menu, can just type the first few letters vs trying to find things. Handy for starting up a specific song and such too. Think the only thing I wish it had was the ability to be extended, al-la Launchy and the like. Would put it over the top in usefulness.