Anyone went back to Vista or XP from Windows 7?

I finally bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate about a week ago and quite frankly I'm a bit disappointed with the new OS. I never quite understood why Vista got the bad rep that it got because the OS ran fine on my computer. Then again I never install software on inadequate hardware. I've been using a combination of Vista and XP for the past 2 years. The reason why I'm contemplating of going back to Vista or at least go for a all Vista OS is because I don't like how MS removed the classic menu and tweaked the taskbar. I know it'll take a while to get use to it, but I don't feel like it's making my life more efficient. Having to start from scratch, I feel very slow. I have read the guides and tweaked the menus as much as possible including installing the classic menu software. However, I don't like how I have to do that much tweaking just to make Windows 7 bearable for me. Do anyone of you guys feel like that? Jump Lists doesn't seem all that important although some people make it seem like as if it's the greatest invention since slice bread. To me Windows 7 just seem a bit more glamourous than Vista. The only reason how I can see myself keeping Windows 7 is if I use an SSD since only Windows 7 support TRIM option. I'm thinking of putting Windows 7 away until I feel the need to want to experiment and learn or when Vista finally gets the axe.

I kind of did, i dual boot myself. i love windows 7 myself but the only thing i hate about it is windows explorer, its so different to xp and i just cant get used to it

I still use 7 but xp is my main partition

I could never go back either. When I first used Windows 7, was a bit worried about the new taskbar and start menu.. but within a couple of days I found it really easy.

Windows 7 just seems so much quicker and stable, overall.

I've had it installed since just before launch... and it runs as fast as the day I installed it. I even use it more than my Mac now :o

Not wholly related - but I had 7 on my netbook, and switched to OSX.

Why? I was more than happy with 7 - I was actually astounded how well it ran, booted, etc...

I had a bee in my bonnet about an OSX netbook, and as much as I am more than happy with the outcome - part of me still feels 7 was a perfect fit too!

I'd never jump back from 7 to Vista - even though I had NO issues with Vista.

Would I go back to XP? Hmmm. Maybe on a low-spec machine where I needed to rip the OS down to the basics.

I finally bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate about a week ago and quite frankly I'm a bit disappointed with the new OS. I never quite understood why Vista got the bad rep that it got because the OS ran fine on my computer. Then again I never install software on inadequate hardware. I've been using a combination of Vista and XP for the past 2 years. The reason why I'm contemplating of going back to Vista or at least go for a all Vista OS is because I don't like how MS removed the classic menu and tweaked the taskbar. I know it'll take a while to get use to it, but I don't feel like it's making my life more efficient. Having to start from scratch, I feel very slow. I have read the guides and tweaked the menus as much as possible including installing the classic menu software. However, I don't like how I have to do that much tweaking just to make Windows 7 bearable for me. Do anyone of you guys feel like that? Jump Lists doesn't seem all that important although some people make it seem like as if it's the greatest invention since slice bread. To me Windows 7 just seem a bit more glamourous than Vista. The only reason how I can see myself keeping Windows 7 is if I use an SSD since only Windows 7 support TRIM option. I'm thinking of putting Windows 7 away until I feel the need to want to experiment and learn or when Vista finally gets the axe.

You're going to have to get used to the new task bar and the (not new at all) start menu. The classic menu isn't coming back, if you really need them that badly then you're going to use the third party classic menu.. Basically, all you have to remember is that you can't use Vista forever so at some point you're going to have to deal with your "problem".

Couldn't go back man. To me Windows 7 is everything Vista was supposed to be. Sure there are changes here and there but the more you use your PC, the more comfortable and accustomed you will be. :)

You're going to have to get used to the new task bar and the (not new at all) start menu. The classic menu isn't coming back, if you really need them that badly then you're going to use the third party classic menu.. Basically, all you have to remember is that you can't use Vista forever so at some point you're going to have to deal with your "problem".

I don't want to troll here. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to my computing needs. Yea, you're right the new menu isn't really new at all, but I'm very use to the Classic Menu. I've been using it for more than a decade now. You know how that saying goes, some habits just die hard. I read the reviews of 7, but to me it does seem like a lot of it is unsubstantiated. To me 7 is nothing but a glorify version of Vista. Believe me I would use 7 if little to no tweaking was required to get the old menus back. I really feel very inefficient right now. Maybe I'm just stubborn here. I'm going to have to cut XP loose because MS is axing that product.

Well the classic Start Menu is gone, but you can customise the Taskbar back to how it functioned on Vista (with the added mouse over effects and the ability to reorder still intact mind you).

Right click on the Taskbar > Properties > Change "Taskbar buttons:" to "Never combine" & tick "Use small icons" if you prefer them.

Also, you don't have to use Jump Lists, I find them useful but not essential. Anyway, I doubt you would want to go back to Vista once you get used to things.

I don't want to troll here. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to my computing needs. Yea, you're right the new menu isn't really new at all, but I'm very use to the Classic Menu. I've been using it for more than a decade now. You know how that saying goes, some habits just die hard. I read the reviews of 7, but to me it does seem like a lot of it is unsubstantiated. To me 7 is nothing but a glorify version of Vista. Believe me I would use 7 if little to no tweaking was required to get the old menus back. I really feel very inefficient right now. Maybe I'm just stubborn here. I'm going to have to cut XP loose because MS is axing that product.

How good 7 is generally isn't really relevant to this discussion. If you want the classic menu then use the third party solution, I mean you only need to do it one when you install the OS. The point I'm trying to make is that eventually you're going to have to use 7 (or above) so you may as well start now.

I did. 3D performance was too much slower on 7 than XP for me, and try as I might I couldn't fix it. Really, the only way to fix it would be to somehow use the 9x.xx series nvidia drivers on 7 and that is not possible due to WDDM. So it's XP for me until I can afford to build a new PC. Late 2013 probably. The thing I miss most is Aero Snap. Other than that I'm fine with XP.

Also I get many pops and clicks in the audio stream even when using latest sound drivers.

I didn't go back to XP. I just moved over to Linux. Same thing sort of I guess. :D

I can certainly understand why someone would want to switch back. 7 is very different and it might not fit every working style. MS needs to make the interface more tweakable, for sure.

I'd go back to Vista before I ever went back to XP, but I'm gonna stick with 7 until the next version of Windows. 7 is a step up from Vista as Vista was from XP, IMO.

Give Windows 7 a try. This is one of the reasons why Vista's GUI was not as revolutionary as it was supposed to be, because many users are too used to XP. But Windows 7 has made these changes at last. The new taskbar is a big improvement over Vista/XP. You must love the thumbnails and the jumplists. Maybe you are not used to have only icons and not words, in which case, if you right click on the taskbar and select properties you can add back the descriptive text, and reduce the size, and remove the pinned icons altogether and make it look exactly like Vista. About the classic menu, you must understand the problem that the new menu is resolving: when you had a lot of stuff you ended up with cascading menus that covered your whole screen and were quite tricky to navigate. The new menu stays in place and does not cascade at all. Maybe if you understand this, you'll see it is better. Additionally, the Windows 7 menu includes the search function, you don't need to browse for the app, just start typing the first letters and there it appears. I don't see any advantage at all in the classic menus.

The jumplists are important when you know why are there for. Remember the clutter of icons in your desktop? All those documents, links to documents and folders that you put there to have easy access to? The problem with this is that they are arbitrarily organized (unless you organize them manually), then you have to minimize all your windows to see the desktop and access them, they are from different kinds and types all together, and with the wallpaper they are not as easy to find with all that color. Just rationalize how long you take to find one icon there when you have many. With jumplists, you can put all documents in the documents folder, as they should be, remove all links to folders and other stuff from the desktop, then drag the documents you use frequently to the task bar to 'pin' them to the jumplist, and voila: a clean desktop, yet all your favorite documents and folders are accessible one click away from the jumplist, plus they are organized (word documents will be on the word icon, excel in excel, folders will be in the explorer) and better yet, you don't have to minimize all windows to access them from the desktop, you can now access them from the taskbar.

Plus, new applications will include common tasks in the jumplist. I'm up to the point in which when I want to launch an app from the taskbar, I don't use the left button, I use the right one to access the jumplist first, because most likely, the file that I want will be in the recent items list and therefore I can launch the application with the document loaded already. Newer applications will feature actions you can activate directly, like the new Outlook allows you create a new email and sending from the jumplist, without have to open the whole application.

Additionally, the ability to accomodate windows by dragging to the sides or top are some of the other Windows 7 features that I can't live without.

I would never go back to Vista or XP now I have experienced 7. Got it installed on my laptop and my Dad's PC and we are both happy. I was used to the Quick Launch Bar in XP and Vista and I was worried about it not been in 7 (I know there's a workaround to get it back) but my worrys was unfounded as I don't miss it at all.

7 is stable, quick and the best OS at the moment.

Stay with it for a couple of weeks and you will feel like you feel with Vista & XP. Guaranteed.

I would if it didn't make me happy. I'm one of those endangered species that prefers to control the computer instead of it controlling me. ;)

Happy for the most part with 7, after tweaking it so the "experience" was to my liking instead of M$

Sadly just last night I tried virtual XP to run 3 applications that won't run in 7 and they also won't run in virtual XP :(

So I have 3 choices:

1. Upgrade these 3 programs, hang on and sit down.....to the cost of $8,000!

2. Put XP back in the box to dual boot.

3. Put server 2008 in the box and see if the programs work under that O/S

Happy for the most part with 7, after tweaking it so the "experience" was to my liking instead of M$

Sadly just last night I tried virtual XP to run 3 applications that won't run in 7 and they also won't run in virtual XP :(

So I have 3 choices:

1. Upgrade these 3 programs, hang on and sit down.....to the cost of $8,000!

2. Put XP back in the box to dual boot.

3. Put server 2008 in the box and see if the programs work under that O/S

Hey

what 3 programs?

I went back, I've tried to love Windows 7 but there are to many weird quirks in it that simply aren't there in Vista. Vista is solid OS to me and 7 is.... well it isn't basicly.